Don't Let This Happen To You.

FlaGrl4Evr

Thank you to everyone for the responses.

My friend is stocked-up with cold meds......drank lots of Gatorade and rested all day yesterday....Feels better today albeit still a bit stuffy.

We think that Thursday will be doable.

This will be my friends very first cruise so we are both hopeful !

I appreciate all of the suggestions.

To the poster that recommend Zinc...I've never heard of using it for a cold but heading out to buy some today.

God Bless

OP ,Hope it all turns out well for you and your friend:)

Best wishes

Reader

on my last cruise - Sunshine/September Canadian - I believe half the ship had colds after the second or third day. Everyone was sniffing and coughing Dayquil is extremely expensive on the ship :) If you fly - alot of people get colds from flying - I am also a nurse and no antibiotics for a common head cold.

Sorry but if I had a cold - I would not cancel.

Woke up the morning of my cruise many years ago, with the sniffles and a scratchy throat. Since it was oak pollen season in Florida, I just wrote it off to allergies. By the time I got to dinner the first day, I was coughing, wheezing, felt like crap and had only my normal allergy meds with me. We bought Mucinex and cough syrup in the first port of call which allowed me to get through the rest of the trip. That and plenty of orange juice... OKAY! There may have been some vodka in a few of the glasses!

By the time I got home I was sicker than a dog, and was diagnosed with bronchitis, although my doctor said it probably started with a plain old cold.

Moral of the story- if I infected anyone I'm sorry, I did try to remain isolated as best I could for the first 48 hours and exercised proper hygiene when coughing and sneezing, but the bottom line was I didn't know I was sick when I left. That's the reality of cruising.

Edited by Shaded Lady

Yep, that is exactly what I do at the sign of a sniffle:rolleyes:

After 22 years at my job!

What I try not to do, is infect other people ,when I know I am sick .

If I didn't go in to work because of a cold I wouldn't have to worry about vacation as I would be on a permanent one

If I didn't go in to work because of a cold I wouldn't have to worry about vacation as I would be on a permanent one

Nascarcruiser ... sarcasm does not relay well on the internet!

We could have a state of emergency in my state (snow storm). if I do not show up for work I am fired ,ditto for leaving my post! (We have had a state of emergency and I was stuck at work for 28 hours)

I have six months of sick time built up, I do not call out of work for a sniffle!

I do call out if I have a BAD cold or am vomiting.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Woke up the morning of my cruise many years ago, with the sniffles and a scratchy throat. Since it was oak pollen season in Florida, I just wrote it off to allergies. By the time I got to dinner the first day, I was coughing, wheezing, felt like crap and had only my normal allergy meds with me. We bought Mucinex and cough syrup in the first port of call which allowed me to get through the rest of the trip. That and plenty of orange juice... OKAY! There may have been some vodka in a few of the glasses!

By the time I got home I was sicker than a dog, and was diagnosed with bronchitis, although my doctor said it probably started with a plain old cold.

Moral of the story- if I infected anyone I'm sorry, I did try to remain isolated as best I could for the first 48 hours and exercised proper hygiene when coughing and sneezing, but the bottom line was I didn't know I was sick when I left. That's the reality of cruising.

Well if you did not know you were sick....no worries!:)

Hmmm ...With all due respect to you." Missing Your vacation for a cold" ? Really, advocating you get on a cruise ship and infect your fellow passengers.

Some people may not be able to fight that cold off. I know that is the chance you take in public places but for a medical professional to advocate ..... Oh well, if you say the rest of the passengers will be fine ,am sure that is the case :)

Don't worry about those people with respiratory issues, because it is YOUR vacation!

If someone is THAT sensitive to germs I seriously don't think they would be cruising where they KNOW 2000+ people where be around....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Work every Fridays 16 hrs and Sat/Sun 3rd shifts... Baylor pay $$

but off during the week. So when we cruise I always have extra days off after each cruise..

before each cruise we start airborne, and take the vits. always.. but most important "hand washing... hand washing.."

prevents the spread of germs.

Pulled many a third shift and weekend myself....as a matter of fact got a call at 5:00AM ..did not answer, Don't have to,too old for that sh&^t ..lol:D
Edited by rjrice1

It's a cold. Despite how awful you feel and sound, you are only contagious for about 2 days after the onset of symptoms. Antibiotics will NOT hasten healing, they will simply increase the incidence of antibiotic resistant bacteria. And seriously? Missing your vacation for a cold? Wash your hands frequently and rest. You, and the rest of the passengers will be fine. I'm a nurse, I deal with this every day.

Thank you. Sound (and accurate) advice.

Hope your friend gets to feeling better.

However my bestie canceling last minute started my solo cruising addiction. Hated she had to cruise BUT so glad I decided to cruise without her and make the best of it. I HAD A BLAST!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not trying to be rude, but why would your friend miss for a cold? You typically only feel really crappy for a day or two and then you're good to go. In any case, I would still go. No reason that you should be out money.

And as other have said, antibiotics will not help a cold. There would be no point in even going to the doctor for it. Drink liquids and take some OTC cold medicine.

Edited by h_blond2

Not trying to be rude, but why would your friend miss for a cold? You typically only feel really crappy for a day or two and then you're good to go. In any case, I would still go. No reason that you should be out money.

And as other have said, antibiotics will not help a cold. There would be no point in even going to the doctor for it. Drink liquids and take some OTC cold medicine.

At the time of this post, my friend had an extremely bad head cold that included congestion a cough and a runny nose and was so miserable getting up off of the sofa was a chore. Had this been embarkation day it would not have been possible.

Additionally, out of respect for other passengers, my friend was going to cancel due to being possibly contagious. Fortunately the cold has ran it's course and it looks like we're going to be able to go after all.

My friend never took antibiotics for the cold, it was another poster that suggested this.

Over-the-counter meds, Gatorade and lots of sleep did the trick.

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

Sinus Cocktail shot. However it's apparently a local thing and your local doctor office may not know what it is. It works wonders on cold symptoms though. It's a couple of steroids and antihistamines all jammed together. It does wonders for a head cold.

Thank you! I don't check up on posts often, so I hadn't seen how many people were upset by my advice. A sinus cocktail (rocephin and decadron) as well as an antibiotic (amoxicillin) is what I was given by a doctor for my head cold immediately before my cruise. Maybe I have a "horrible" doctor but it seemed to work.

Thank you! I don't check up on posts often, so I hadn't seen how many people were upset by my advice. A sinus cocktail (rocephin and decadron) as well as an antibiotic (amoxicillin) is what I was given by a doctor for my head cold immediately before my cruise. Maybe I have a "horrible" doctor but it seemed to work.

The antibiotic is useless for an actual cold. Mine does the sinus cocktail without the antibiotics.

This is the main reason I don't like muster drills, being next to a person like you...

Absolutely!

It is also the reason we get a table for 2 at every meal and go off on our own in port instead of taking an excursion.

Sorry, but I hate catching a cold on a cruise and then have it develop into something that hangs on for 6 weeks after I get home. And people have been known to misdiagnose themselves and it really isn't "just a cold."

Absolutely!

It is also the reason we get a table for 2 at every meal and go off on our own in port instead of taking an excursion.

Sorry, but I hate catching a cold on a cruise and then have it develop into something that hangs on for 6 weeks after I get home. And people have been known to misdiagnose themselves and it really isn't "just a cold."

Do you also wrap yourself from head to toe in bubble wrap, or wear gloves everywhere you are? Seriously, sitting a dinner table with people or going on an excursion are the least of the ways you are going to catch the dreaded cold. ANYTHING you touch..elevator button, handrail, doorknob, faucet, a lounge chair etc is going to have germs. Flying on an airplane is one of the easiest places to catch something--you are all confined in the same place for hours.

I have never in my life been a germaphobe--could care less who is around me..i never get sick. Unless you want to quarantine yourself for your life, I don't see how you think you are avoiding germs.

I will absolutely go on a cruise with a cold--trip insurance is not going to cover that if you cancel. And I wouldn't care if the person next to me has one either.

I doubt you'd get a payout for a head cold unless you got 'cancel for any reason' insurance.

That happened to us last summer, husband was in urgent care with a bad cold two days before leaving for Mexico, son started throwing up in the airport, me and daughter got sick on second day of the trip. None of it was serious enough to trigger our insurance paying out. It just made for a crappy vacation sadly!

But yes we still get insurance.

That's a big risk going on a ship sick not only to yourself but the rest of the people on board. Believe me hate to wait for a cruise than not be able to go.