Made 9AM Flight Out of FLL Today

Projunior

Off Koningsdam this morning. Was sitting at the gate in FLL at 8:05AM.

7:00 - Arrived in Lincoln Center Stage to wait with Expedited Group A, self-disembarkation.

7:20 - Debarcation officially begins.

7:30 - Through Customs.

7:35 - In cab.

7:50 - Arrive FLL.

7:55 - Checked in on AA flight.

8:00 - Through security (TSA Precheck)

8:05 - At gate.

Painless.

Good for you.

But, I hate to see a thread like this as it recommends doing it and there are just so many things that can go wrong.

I'm glad it worked out for you but I would never risk it and i am hesitant to see others encouraged to do so.

But, I am glad it worked out for you.

Me thinks we have to consider that CC is read by many folks. The OP had a near perfect experience and made their flight without a problem. That is a good thing. But is that the norm? We have been on far more then 100 cruises (dozens that ended at Port Everglades and the Port of Miami) and things do not always so smooth. On some cruises we have been on ships that were held past 9am by the US CBP folks because of various issues. On another cruise (last year) when we arrived at FLL on a Saturday morning, TSA was having problems and the queue to get through security (for the area used by SWA) was nearly 1 1/2 hours long! Even with TSA Prescreen...we barely made our flight.

So here is my advice. Take a look at what would happen if you did miss your flight. Is there an airline penalty (just about all but SWA have penalties)? Is it likely that you would be able to get on a later flight (which might be full due to other cruisers)?

In the final analysis it comes down to taking risk. Are you a big risk taker? Then go for a flight before 10. Are you like us and prefer to relax and not work up a sweat on that last morning? The take a much later flight and relax up at the pool deck while most others are dealing with lines, anxiety, etc. The reward of making an early flight is that you have left your cruise vacation earlier...and might get home earlier. On the other hand, it could easily cost you hundreds of extra dollars if things do not go the way you plan. Taking a later flight means you can relax on that last morning, avoid the hassles of lines, enjoy those last few hours, etc.

Hank

Disembarkation today was extremely quick and easy. Isn't always that way. My color was called at 9:00 AM, I got on the elevator, rode down, walked off, found my luggage, got a porter, rode the shuttle to my car (Park and Go) and was on my way home by 10 AM. Bob

I am glad that disembarkation was so smooth today, and that people were able to make early flights. That is certainly not always the case.

The last time I came through Fort Lauderdale after a cruise, I had a 2:00 pm flight and got to the airport right around 11:00, after at least a 45 minutes wait between picking up luggage and getting to passport control/customs officials. I would never book a flight before noon. Even then I'd be worried and would probably use self-disembarkation just to be sure I was at the airport on time.