Spontaneous Buffets on Oasis-class Ships

LEMJMcC

So we're looking at our third cruise with RCI on the Oasis of the Seas. We've heard from others about themed buffets that they would encounter while on their cruises; we've also heard about the famous, or infamous;), midnight dessert buffets. However on our first two RCI cruises we encountered no such thing anywhere on the ship at any time.

So, are these just myths, or have they gone the way of the do-do, or have we just be unlucky?

Thanks.

So we're looking at our third cruise with RCI on the Oasis of the Seas. We've heard from others about themed buffets that they would encounter while on their cruises; we've also heard about the famous, or infamous;), midnight dessert buffets. However on our first two RCI cruises we encountered no such thing anywhere on the ship at any time.

So, are these just myths, or have they gone the way of the do-do, or have we just be unlucky?

Thanks.

I was on the Oasis last month and there were themed WJ dinners: Mongolian BBQ, hot spicy Indian stuff (he should have warned me! :eek: ). I forget others.

As written above, midnight buffets are long gone - 10 years is my guesstimate.

we've also heard about the famous, or infamous;), midnight dessert buffets.

That's slightly different than a "regular" midnight buffet. Those used to have elaborate food and dessert. Some have reported a very minimal dessert only offering more recently but like the regular buffet those are gone as well.

On some RCI ships we've sailed they have had (one night) a late night pool party that has had a buffet.

Last October on Navigator out of Galveston had a buffet set up pool side serving at 10:30 or 11 pm. I don't quite remember. It was limited, finger foods mainly and desserts.

Edited by Shekim

Which ones and what year??

With out having to go back through my last Cruise Compass' for Liberty and Indy the most recent one's were on Adventure 2016 one night during each of our B2B cruise's. Their called (pool parties) and start at 10:30pm.

I sure am glad I have no cruise experience in the good ole days..... therefore my expectations continue to be meet.

Just remember, one day in the near future today will be the good ol' days.

Remember when most meals were included in the cruise fare?

Remember they used to give OBC, just for booking?

Remember when the website used to work, most of the time?

Cheer up! Or the beatings / cutbacks will continue until morale improves around here! :p:p:p

With out having to go back through my last Cruise Compass' for Liberty and Indy the most recent one's were on Adventure 2016 one night during each of our B2B cruise's. Their called (pool parties) and start at 10:30pm.

I thought midnight buffets were every night, not one night???

Just remember, one day in the near future today will be the good ol' days.

Remember when most meals were included in the cruise fare?

Remember they used to give OBC, just for booking?

Remember when the website used to work, most of the time?

Cheer up! Or the beatings / cutbacks will continue until morale improves around here! :p:p:p

Then I guess our disappointment is coming. But, we can always decide to do something different that meets our expectations.

At this time, for the money, Royal offers us the best relaxation and getaway for the money. We have 4 major ports within an hour to 4 hours max. That is a lot of choices for us. If we had to travel longer distances, we would probably do something different. We would rather fly to Vegas than to fly to NY to cruise out of Cape Liberty. We went to NYC for a week this summer, and not a cruise.

Edited by troykahack

The midnight buffet was one night, it's been long gone. I first experienced this 2005, the last I experienced it was 2006. The pool side buffet is part of the dancing under the stars party. On Enchantment and Majesty this is held the night the ships are in Nassau

Many many years ago, CARNIVAL not only had a midnight buffet every night, but also

a 1:30 am buffet every morning. One night (or morning as the case may be) my wife and I stayed up for the 1:30am buffet.

They took all the hot food left over from the midnight buffet and put it in warming trays. They took all the cold food left over from the midnight buffet and put it in chilling trays.

Then they threw all the trays out in the hall.

I guess this was their way of saying, "We've already fed you dozens of times today. If you're that much a pig, eat like one!"

My wife and I had a good laugh, went back to our cabin and went to sleep.

The midnight buffet was one night, it's been long gone. I first experienced this 2005, the last I experienced it was 2006. The pool side buffet is part of the dancing under the stars party. On Enchantment and Majesty this is held the night the ships are in Nassau

I guess we get up too early and can't stay awake late enough. Have been on a Enchantment many times and MJ a couple. Never paid attention to late night activities.

The keyword in my post was "buffet" never did I say "midnight buffet" and yes those were only held on one night and have been gone for several years...much to the disappointment of some. The pool party buffet starts at 10:30pm and is over long before midnight.

The keyword in my post was "buffet" never did I say "midnight buffet" and yes those were only held on one night and have been gone for several years...much to the disappointment of some. The pool party buffet starts at 10:30pm and is over long before midnight.

You did mention the midnight desert buffets.

Last cruise that had a Midnight Extravaganza Buffet: Radiance, June 2014 (Alaska)

Last Cruise with Midnight "Buffet" Offerings: Vision, November 2015

While with was Park Cafe in the Solarium. It had a self serve hot line. Then had cold items, desserts, soup, and pizza that were behind the counter.

Sent from a mobile device

Edited by chandom

I remember our first cruise in 2004 had a midnight buffet (I want to say every night but I could be wrong). Chocolate fountains, ice sculptures, chefs with a carving table, all the food you could want, right there on the pool deck. It was definitely great, but I'm not that sad that it's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Indy TA Spring 2016 had a late night (around 10pm) chocolate dessert buffet in the promenade one night.

It was not advertised in advance and people were ticked they missed it. I happened to go to the promenade and stumble upon it. It was quite the set up. Very well done with tables and tables of desserts and even an ice sculpture.

IMG_1485226097.219766.jpg.462f7431f9faf08ee5379006c0df4da1.jpg

Later on in the cruise they had an afternoon buffet in the promenade. That may have been scheduled for outside but brought inside bc of weather but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We started cruising in '97 and the midnight buffet was every night. Then it became the grand buffet with galley tours, ice sculptures, and high end desserts but only once a cruise. Then it was completely history. Can't say I miss it and I'm pretty sure I've been better off without it. :D

Edited by Big_G