Platinum perks

beezercatz

We are sailing on the January 28 sailing to Mexico on the Ruby Princess. I'm a platinum member. I think that I get early boarding privileges. When I read about it on the website, it said for me and anyone traveling in the same cabin. Last time, there were 6 of us, obviously not in the same cabin, and they all got to board early with me. Is it still this way???

Not to be pedantic but the perk is "priority boarding" (an earlier boarding group than non-Platinum) rather than "early boarding" (boarding somehow just for you commencing earlier than the expected time).

Which port are you embarking at? Enforcement does vary. If you arrive before the first boarding groups have been called, should there be a lot of Platinum pax already checked in it is very possible that only them and their actual cabinmates will be allowed in the waiting area designated for them. Same for Elites.

I can tell you at Port Everglades if you arrive during peak check in time they are usually very strict in only letting Platinum/Elite/Suite with the 'priority boarding' header on their boarding passes through the entrance designated for priority check-in. Bottom line is no matter the port unless you arrive well before or well after the main crush you should be prepared for your party to be separated. Super early, you may be able to finagle the same group number for all of you; later than an hour or so after boarding starts, priority becomes irrelevant and all of you can easily check in together. Let's just say you were lucky last time.

Edited by fishywood

We are sailing on the January 28 sailing to Mexico on the Ruby Princess. I'm a platinum member. I think that I get early boarding privileges. When I read about it on the website, it said for me and anyone traveling in the same cabin. Last time, there were 6 of us, obviously not in the same cabin, and they all got to board early with me. Is it still this way???

Where ever you leave from........

Technically no.

Just like you noted, it's a perk for Platinum and those in the same cabin.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We're leaving from San Pedro on Ruby Princess

Very doubtful from San Pedro. They seem particularly strict. They also didn't seem to have their act together at all the last two times we have been there. It was a messed up zoo.

On a slightly different topic, I am Platinum but the past few times have cruised with a cabin mate who is not. I have had an invitation to the evening Elite/Plat nibbles and drinks, though have not attended these because of the non-status of my companion.

My question is whether my cabin mate (non - P or E) is able to join me (like on board Celebrity where they are) or not (like on board RCI). I haven't been able to find an answer on the Princess website.TIA.

Based on what I read, if my cabin mate is Platinum and I am not, we can check in together but she would board before I'm allowed to, meaning I'll be sitting in the terminal awaiting my turn.

Is this correct or can I go on the ship at the same time she does? This is for the San Pedro terminal.

On a slightly different topic, I am Platinum but the past few times have cruised with a cabin mate who is not. I have had an invitation to the evening Elite/Plat nibbles and drinks, though have not attended these because of the non-status of my companion.

My question is whether my cabin mate (non - P or E) is able to join me (like on board Celebrity where they are) or not (like on board RCI). I haven't been able to find an answer on the Princess website.TIA.

Yes. You can both go to the happy hour. Drinks are not free, there is a selection at lower prices which has been US$5, not sure what the price is on Australia based cruises.

Absolutely!! This is not even an issue. If your cabin mate is not PES, though, the drinks will be charged at regular prices. Not sure if that matters to you but the $5 will need to be charged on your card.

Based on what I read, if my cabin mate is Platinum and I am not, we can check in together but she would board before I'm allowed to, meaning I'll be sitting in the terminal awaiting my turn.

Is this correct or can I go on the ship at the same time she does? This is for the San Pedro terminal.

You will both board together at the same time. Did this every time till I turned platinum.

I frequently travel with someone who is not platinum. I also cruised in and out of San Pedro in January.

In San Pedro, they were very strict about priority boarding. If someone was sharing a cabin with the Platinum member they could board at the same time, but passengers who were not in the same cabin could not. Passengers had to board with their assigned group unless sharing a cabin.

Also, the pre-dinner lounge for platinum and elite was for those passengers and fellow passengers cruising in the same cabin. If not in the same cabin, then this perk could not be shared. If sharing the same cabin, yes they could go into the lounge as long as accompanied by the platinum or elite member.

Thank you so much to those who have responded to my question. I feel much happier now. There is no problem with paying for the drinks but I did not want to have an embarrassing refusal for my cabin mates if they were not allowed to accompany me.

The Diamond hostess on RCI was very clear that my cabin mate was not able to enter the lounge when I asked (luckily my friend was not with me). They did have 3 free drinks added to the sea pass card each evening so even though we couldn't go to the lounge I could have a free cocktail.

I guess each line is different and that's what makes life interesting.