Smoking in Grease?

yogimax

Things have been a bit drab for me at work the last few days ... as a result, I'm sort of glad this thread hasn't been killed yet, I'm enjoying the entertainment value of the back-and-forth.

Michael

I don't think there's any back and forth. It's pretty one sided against Yogi

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

... the musical is about a girl who gives up her good ways and "sluts it up" - all for the attention of a boy. And the boy shuns the girl so he can look cool in front of his friends. Roger loves to moon people in public. Marty has an older boyfriend in the military - yet throws herself at Vince Fontaine. AND - let's not forget that Rizzo has a pregnancy scare.

Is the smoking REALLY the worst thing they can do? (See what I did there? Someone say you get it!)

I get it! I get it! Good one!! :D:D

Imagine how long the show would be if the actors had to run to the designated smoking areas to light up. ...

Another good one!! :D:D

I saw the original Grease on Broadway and, in November, I saw both the Harmony and Independence versions. All were the "unsanitized" versions and very enjoyable.

What bothered me more than the audiences on Harmony and Indy lighting 'em up during the production was what happened in the Royal Promenade afterwards. On Harmony, I had to wait an hour (just 30 minutes on Indy) for my group's turn to climb aboard the vintage car and belt out our rendition of "Greased Lightning"!!! :eek::D

~ Judy

Good responses from the majority. Of course I understand the points you all make. Yes, it is fiction, not reality, but...

unless I missed it, no one really addressed my point that RCCL was being hypocritical in rightly promoting a policy that severely limits where people can smoke (including the theatre by the way), but then has people smoking on stage.

Edited by yogimax

Good responses from the majority. Of course I understand the points you all make. Yes, it is fiction, not reality, but...

unless I missed it, no one really addressed my point that RCCL was being hypocritical in rightly promoting a policy that severely limits where people can smoke (including the theatre by the way), but then has people smoking on stage.

Are they also being hypocritical having a fitness center and exercise classes (which they promote) while having sweets all over the ship and selling candy in their shops?

Hmmm? Would RCCL be hypocritical if they did an Agathy Christy play on board?

They certainly severly limit cruisers murdering each other! :)

Just this past week I was watching John Wayne movies - I love the guy. Boy did they smoke alot back in his time and the time portrayed in his movies - cowboy style movies. Never once during the movies did I decide to light up and have a cigarette, or strap on a gun, or even jump on a horse. Golly, I didn't even go out and get a cowboy hat either. I guess I'm not easily influenced by the movies and shows I watch! 😜

And thousands upon thousands of others have watched this same show in a non smoking Broadway theatre yet they are smart enough to realize they can't light up inside the theatre. Seriously your reading way to much into this.

I've seen many plays at our high school with smoking them - in my son's lobby headshot, he had s cigarette in his mouth. To the best of my knowledge, they don't allow smoking in or around the school.

Edited by mjkacmom

This thread may be one of the most entertaining ones I've read.....I'm literally laughing.

To answer one of the questions by the OP, there are fake cigarettes used in theater and I would assume movies and tv shows. I would imagine they're similar to a vape cigarette and most likely have none of the bad things that real cigs have. That would be a lot to ask of an actor to pick up on an extremely addictive habit for the sake of a show, not to mention exposing cast and the audience to it. So while it looks real, I would bet they're using props instead of the real thing.

And I also agree w/ a previous poster....the smoking is probably the least offensive thing in that show/movie. I still love it and have watched it since I was a kid. I'm a smoker...but thankfully didn't give up my morals to impress a boy nor have a teenage pregnancy scare. Or steal things. Or have multiple partners. :p

This thread may be one of the most entertaining ones I've read.....I'm literally laughing.

To answer one of the questions by the OP, there are fake cigarettes used in theater and I would assume movies and tv shows. I would imagine they're similar to a vape cigarette and most likely have none of the bad things that real cigs have. That would be a lot to ask of an actor to pick up on an extremely addictive habit for the sake of a show, not to mention exposing cast and the audience to it. So while it looks real, I would bet they're using props instead of the real thing.

And I also agree w/ a previous poster....the smoking is probably the least offensive thing in that show/movie. I still love it and have watched it since I was a kid. I'm a smoker...but thankfully didn't give up my morals to impress a boy nor have a teenage pregnancy scare. Or steal things. Or have multiple partners. :p

Not sure about the RCL production, but the stage actor's union (AEA) forbids the use of real tobacco onstage, even if the actor smokes. Never have to worry about cigarettes being real onstage.

But as for being hypocritical - again - I suggest seeing Chicago and watching a girl become famous for killing her lover just to try and keep it from her husband. We don't condone that, do we? (And they usually smoke onstage in that as well.) Or Mamma Mia, when a girl tries to find her father who is one of three men her mom was sleeping with at the time of conception and invite them to her wedding. (No smoking in MMia, but a disturbing amount of 70s leisure suits and platform shoes.)

I'll admit - this is one of my favorite threads so far!

" A hickey from Kenickie's like a Hallmark card!"

With all due respect, many responses do address your point about RCCL being hypocritical. They address it by saying they do not agree with you. There have been several posts pointing out that there is no hypocrisy.

If you are hoping for someone to validate your position I would suggest you make a fresh pot of coffee. It might take a while for that.

That being said I'm sure the next poster will agree with you. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I commend the OP for turning Grease into an anti smoking rant. That's one stretch I never saw coming.

This has got to be a joke. Please don't ever see the classic musical Carousel. The lead actor is a criminal. Or Cabaret - we might all become cross dressers and prostitutes.

Saw Grease on Independence... Great acting in a show with absolutely no redeeming moral values to convey. It was totally inaccurate to my experience and the majority of other's experiences in that timeframe. We actually cared about getting good grades, not about the nonsense that was portrayed. I'm actually surprised RCCL went with this nonsense.

So here's my question... why was it necessary to have the actors/actresses smoke on stage? It added nothing to the story. In addition, it gave a message that smoking was okay. C'mon, if you don't want people to smoke in their cabins or on their balconies, then don't glorify their smoking onstage!

Major mistake by RCCL!

Maybe you have to much time on your hands???.....K.O.