What is the difference between a Vista Suite and a Penthouse Suite?

swingphi

I guess it might depend on which ship, but on most of the ships We've been on, the Vistas are on the aft corners and the PH are usually located center ship or on aft center. We prefer Vistas due to the fabulous corner locations. However, there are obstructive beams blocking one set of sliding glass doors, but that has never presented a problem for us. If you choose Vista, I recommend Dolphin versus Emerald deck due to the larger, deeper balcony.

Room sizes are very similar if not identical with Penthouses

Also, some Penthouses are poorly located underneath pool decks on certain ships and have extremely narrow balconies

On older Grand class ships, PH category has nice balconies on Caribe deck, center ship

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

I am only speaking of certain ships and do not have personal knowledge of the Panama Canal ships, which are Island Princess and Or Coral, and I am not familiar with the layouts of those two ships. Basically, full suites will all be very nice. It is nice to have the extra amenities. Enjoy your cruise

I am only speaking of certain ships and do not have personal knowledge of the Panama Canal ships, which are Island Princess and Or Coral...

I think Caribbean Princess is also sailing the Panama Canal now, via the new/bigger locks. So as a Grand Class ship, the locations of the suites will likely vary when compared to Coral and Island.

I sailed on the Star Princess last week in a Vista suite and never again. I will only go with the Penthouse suites from now on. The Vista faces the aft wake which makes a noisy and dirty balcony. The closet space is poorly designed so you can't properly use all the space. the door to the closet prevents you from using the space behind it. The bathroom has less counter space then a mini suite which is my usual choice cabin. The cabin felt much smaller then the square footage of a mini because of the layout. The wet bar is totally misplaced and takes up the minimal granite counter space in the sitting area. That is my experience but others may like it, not me.

Location.

It's more then location. It's size and configuration. Although on the Princess web pages they show the same picture, having stayed in both suites I can tell you from experience they are quite different, the Penthouse being considerably nicer.

Type: Vista Suite

Category: S6

Deck: 9 (Dolphin)

Bath Type: Shower/tub

Connecting Room: N/A

Total Size: 495 sq. ft.

Type: Penthouse Suite

Category: S4

Deck: 10 (Caribe)

Total Size: 536 sq. ft.

I think Caribbean Princess is also sailing the Panama Canal now, via the new/bigger locks. So as a Grand Class ship, the locations of the suites will likely vary when compared to Coral and Island.

The Caribbean Princess also has window suites which are highly affordable compared to the other suites and offer all full suite amenities. Full suite amenities include the club class dining and access to the thermal spa in addition the the specialty dining room for breakfasts.

It's more then location. It's size and configuration. Although on the Princess web pages they show the same picture, having stayed in both suites I can tell you from experience they are quite different, the Penthouse being considerably nicer.

Type: Vista Suite

Category: S6

Deck: 9 (Dolphin)

Total Size: 495 sq. ft.

Type: Penthouse Suite

Category: S4

Deck: 10 (Caribe)

Total Size: 536 sq. ft.

We have stayed in both. The 40 extra sq ft didn't do it for us.

We have stayed in both. The 40 extra sq ft didn't do it for us.

I found it more then just the sq. ft. The configuration was better and more efficient use of the space with more useable counter space. Princess values them higher by several hundred dollars.

I'd like to try a window suite next.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I found it more then just the sq. ft. The configuration was better and more efficient use of the space with more useable counter space. Princess values them higher by several hundred dollars.

I'd like to try a window suite next.

We do prefer the aft locations.

I just can't give up the balcony.

I sailed on the Star Princess last week in a Vista suite and never again. I will only go with the Penthouse suites from now on. The Vista faces the aft wake which makes a noisy and dirty balcony. The closet space is poorly designed so you can't properly use all the space. the door to the closet prevents you from using the space behind it. The bathroom has less counter space then a mini suite which is my usual choice cabin. The cabin felt much smaller then the square footage of a mini because of the layout. The wet bar is totally misplaced and takes up the minimal granite counter space in the sitting area. That is my experience but others may like it, not me.

Your comparing the vista suite on the older Star Princess to what? I dont think this is a fair comparison to either the Grand or Carribean Princess aft suites or the Royal Class aft suites at all...they are not all the same at all:rolleyes:

We were on the even older golden Princess twice and had Vistas and had a positive experience in the Vistas, unlike cruzsnooz. But I agree with cruzsnooz that the layout of said cabins weren't that impressive. We actually prefer the layout of the minis, longer and narrower vs. short, fat and square. However, the bathrooms are really spacious in the suites and we kind of like that huge whirlpool tub and larger separate shower. We didn't really encounter space issues, ie, the closet and the counter space, but I can understand why it might represent a problem for some.

We really like the grand class vista suite. The only negative usually noted is the beam which I think is a positive as I use it to hide my easily burnable skin.

We have also stayed in a grand class Owners Suite and found the extra space was just a waste for us. Not that it was bad but even with 4 in the room we just never used the table and extra space over the vista.

We have never been in a Penthouse because we prefer the aft cabins and balconies. I see now there are actually a few aft Penthouse Suites and might give them a try. (Although it looks like the book pretty fast)

Can you be more specific why the PS is "considerably nicer" than a VS? Does the fridge actually work in a PS ?

Can you be more specific why the PS is "considerably nicer" than a VS? Does the fridge actually work in a PS ?

The configuration was better and more efficient use of the space with more useable counter space. I think all the fridges work work equally poor.

My only complaint about the Vista Suites is the lack of shelves in the bathroom; and yes, the closet is poorly designed and awkward to use. But that balcony makes up for the few negatives.

The Owners' Suites on the Grand Class ships are great, but unless you intend to do a lot of entertaining you just don't need that much space.

The Owners' Suites on the Royal Class ships are a rip-off; they are very poorly designed and no larger than the Vista Suites on Grand Class. Yes, there is that huge balcony, but if the wind is blowing the wrong way you have a huge soot issue--and there is very little shade.

We've stayed in aft PS on the Caribbean, an aft VS on the Grand, and an aft OS on the Pacific.

Your question is not about an OS so I will not comment on that other than I agree with some other posters that there is more space than needed - especially the absolutely overly huge balcony. We never thought a balcony could be too large but it really was a lot of unused space for two people.

We found the aft PS and VS generally similar but different as well. The PS layout was a bit nicer but not a huge difference, and it didn't have the "dreaded beam" which we, like others, did not find that dreaded.

If they were the same price (which, of course, they aren't) we'd certainly take a PS over a VS. Overall we'd say the PS was maybe 10-15% better than the VS so wouldn't pay 15%+ more for the PS. And if we wanted to use the price difference for excursions or other things and be in a VS we'd be very pleased with that overall cruise formula.

...Overall we'd say the PS was maybe 10-15% better than the VS so wouldn't pay 15%+ more for the PS. And if we wanted to use the price difference for excursions or other things and be in a VS we'd be very pleased with that overall cruise formula.

I think this is where we are at. I was looking yesterday and see the forward premium suites may be another option. Looks like the same suite benefits, good sized room but a smaller balcony. Have you stayed in the forward premium suites (Like A101) and how do they compare to the aft PS, VS or OS?

Please forgive me for asking but what is the difference between a Penthouse and Vista suite? Thanks for your help.

Here is a link to a youtube video I just posted of the vista suite A729 on the Island Princess from January 2017.

Our friends were in a Premium Suite midship and their room was smaller, balcony smaller TV's were smaller but the had the same bathroom set up and they had a wet bar.

A729 is one of the new VS in the aft of the Island and we loved it.

I think this is where we are at. I was looking yesterday and see the forward premium suites may be another option. Looks like the same suite benefits, good sized room but a smaller balcony. Have you stayed in the forward premium suites (Like A101) and how do they compare to the aft PS, VS or OS?

Only been in a forward suite on Seabourn which was a smaller ship. Didn't like the forward location - when underway it was too windy to use the balcony and the waves striking the hull were noisey. Some of that may be due to the specific ship but I think others on Princess ships have had similar comments.

There should be postings about forward cabins on Princess ships you could check out for more pertinent comments.

Thank you for your help. We are doing the short Panama canal cruise in March and booked a suite for the extra space. Any other advice you wish to give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again..

Google your cabin number and ship. We turned down an upgrade offer for our Panama Canal cruise thanks to finding a tip online that it would be one of the cabins that they refuse to let you use your balcony during the canal transit because of the cables.

• 6 months later...

Hi, just saw this thread; I just booked C749 Penthouse on Caribbean Princess. We have sailed in aft suites on Norwegian cruise line. This looks like a nice cabin. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

We love aft suites and generally stay in Vista ones. The configuration and furnishings differ by ship and deck. Our favorite suite, hands down, was A729 on the Island - one of the new suites. The bathroom was incredible - two sinks, bright, and functional. The balcony was huge, although it was mostly uncovered. I guess we were up high enough we did not experience any more movement, noise, or vibrations than we usually have in an aft cabin.

On the Grand, we've stayed in D736 and 737. Although there is a beam in the balcony, it did not bother us, and we liked having the larger balcony and a little bit of side view since it's a corner room. We do not like the cabin, though - the sitting room is small and there is no desk or phone in the sitting room.

We looked at the suites on the Caribe deck before disembarking. C750 and 751 are Vista suites. The inside of the cabin is actually larger than the Penthouse Suites next door (C748 and 749)! C750 and 751 has a larger sitting room with two side chairs and a desk, whereas C748 and 749 had room for only one side chair, but there is a desk. The balcony for the Penthouse suites (C748 and 749) were much better than the Vista suite - the Vista suites had two beams and was not as deep or long. So for us it became a decision of what was more important - a nicer balcony or nicer cabin. After much discussion, we decided to go for the Vista suite because of the larger cabin.

I could not get good information from anyone at Princess, even when we were on the ship, on the specifics of the cabin. Even simple things like does the suite have a desk in the sitting room. That's why we decided to tour the aft cabins on disembarkation day!

We generally do not like aft suites on the Emerald deck because the balconies are smaller, the beam is more of a problem, and you are above a lounge. But if an Emerald aft is the only suite available, I'd book it! We love watching the wake and hearing the ocean.

Bottom line - they give a range for the square footage of the suites because the suites vary a little by ship and deck.