Lawn Club Grill - too windy while sailing?

tbmrt

Looking forward to our first dinner at Lawn Club Grill with hubby helping to cook.

Are there any "windblocks"? Thinking it probably would be too windy to eat comfortably while ship is at sea.

Looking forward to our first dinner at Lawn Club Grill with hubby helping to cook.

Are there any "windblocks"? Thinking it probably would be too windy to eat comfortably while ship is at sea.

100% not a factor (Went on Silhouette in August).

You are enclosed in a light-filled glass room, immediately fwd of the ever-resting lawn.

Great food, good view, whether you cook or just watch.

Zero impact by wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bob221b1

Hi, I have eaten there several times over the years and recall twice when

there were issues.....one, it rained one of the funky rainstorms with wind.

They did not close but if you happen to have a table on the outside? Well,

it felt like a storm. (Not on the outside of the restaurant but closer to the

edge, if that makes sense.)

The other was the actual first Inaugural revenued cruise back in 2012....

It was a 3 night sailing and I remember having friends who were going

to eat there one night and it was just too stormy to allow it.

But the odds are in your favor everything will go smoothly:)

Edited by Lois R

On our Reflection cruise, we were not allowed to help cook due to health and safety regulations. You could watch and that was about it. On another cruise on a different ship, I was allowed to actually cook and was encouraged to do so. It must be the ship you are on.

No issues with wind on Reflection. As said above, lots of glass panels around.

Definitely not true. If it is stormy and windy outside it is very unpleasant there. We paid for a special Mediterranean dinner there in October and it was blowing the plastic shades open and everyone had to leave early. They had to bring blankets for us to wrap up in because the wind was cold. The panels are not glass, they are clear shades that open. That being said, most of the time it's lovely.

Edited by Ma Bell

What's the deal with cooking? Do you cook the whole meal or just the meat?

I would not mind watching with a glass of beer or wine or martini in hand. :)

Better, let them cook table side.

You can cook whatever you want (basically)...many folks enjoy making

the flatbreads and some enjoy cooking their own steaks.......no you do

not "have to" cook anything. I let them do all of mine.

Edited by Lois R

Dined more than once sailing in the Caribbean and yes, wind (breeze) was a factor if sitting on the sides. Also cool, be sure to bring a sweater if you sit there. Seems to be very comfortable if sitting at middle tables. Love the restaurant and the service.

You can cook whatever you want (basically)...many folks enjoy making

the flatbreads and some enjoy cooking their own steaks.......no you do

not "have to" cook anything. I let them do all of mine.

That was definitely not the case on our cruise on the Reflection. As mentioned, we could not cook due to health and safety concerns. Then again, let them do the cooking as they are the experts. You can watch food being cooked if that of interest to you.

I think it really depends on your itinerary and time of year. We ate there one evening on a TA. It was cold and windy. They were offering wool blankets and the infrared heaters were on full power. While we enjoyed ourselves we were the only ones in the Grill and the service was rather lackluster. I think the staff wanted us to hurry up and leave.

The weather improved once south of the Canaries and saw many enjoying their grill experience.

They do have plastic roll up shields to deflect the winds it can be rather uncomfortable in cold and rainy conditions. My only complaint is they serve far too much food. I would go back again but would select a night that was better suited for out door dining.

I enjoyed two lunches and two dinners there. Excellent food.

At lunch, get the seafood tower. At dinner, the ribeye and the filet mignon were both excellent.

No problem on the Reflection with rain in December and the breeze felt good.

image.jpg.3e7d6cc5f7436c3cd30a6c5cba76a4ca.jpg

Edited by Sandtrap328

This has been bugging me for a while but seems a strange thing to create a thread about so i'll ask here.

What is the attraction of table side cooking?

For me, none in particular.

On a cruise, for example, I want them to cook the food. If I can cook it, my comment was instead to watch them with a beer, wine or martini in hand which implied I went somewhere to watch. My comment was I rather watch them table side.

Now as a point of reference, I think it is a little showmanship on their part to have a course made table side. I have always liked a little show. We have had salads made, a main course prepared and of course a desert created table side at various times on a cruise over the years.

Edited by shipshape sam

We were on the Silhouette last February and weather was beautiful, it's the caribbean, and my sister made our pizza with a little assist from one of the staff. She had a lot of fun, I took pictures, pizza was good. We also had filet but let the the cooks do that. We will probably eat there again on our feb26th cruise.

We were on Silhouette a few years ago and they offered to have us cook, but we didn't. We decided to sit back and watch them do it. There was a guy from another table cooking and he was pretty funny. I really enjoyed this dinner. It was so nice to be outside and we had a great waiter, who remembered us when we saw him another time in the buffet area. I don't recall it being windy. They have glass walls up pretty high. This is close to the sunset bar which is also a favorite place to go.

I am looking forward to going again when I am on Reflection in April.