neptune privilèges extended to friends?

boris107

Given the number of people who mention it on this site as a reason they get to port early, I would have to come to that conclusion.

Whenever I mention -- especially in regard to European cruises -- that there is no need to madly rush to embark on the ship, but instead suggest spending a solid morning sightseeing instead (e.g., in Rome) and then a nice lunch before going to the port, you'd be amazed how many people say things like "But I want to get my money's worth out of the cruise," or "But we already paid for lunch onboard ship..."

For us, the problem is luggage after we check out. Yes, hotels will store luggage, but I've got meds, jewelry, my laptop in there. Storage isn't always as secure as we'd like it to be.

Thanks - honestly it's not a big deal to me what line. Since I'm the responsible party with papers and credit card I thought it would be easiest for the 4 of us to stick together.

My question would be then why don't you just share the Neptune Suite - there should be plenty of room for all of you? They are preteen you say - they are children - one of you will have to be with them in their cabin.

Given the number of people who mention it on this site as a reason they get to port early, I would have to come to that conclusion.

Whenever I mention -- especially in regard to European cruises -- that there is no need to madly rush to embark on the ship, but instead suggest spending a solid morning sightseeing instead (e.g., in Rome) and then a nice lunch before going to the port, you'd be amazed how many people say things like "But I want to get my money's worth out of the cruise," or "But we already paid for lunch onboard ship..."

As it is 99.9% of the time, I agree with you ;)

Unfortunately, people will always figure out a reason to want to board when it first opens, regardless of a boarding number process. Excuses like what to do when checking out of a hotel, wanting to eat asap, wanting to get their money's worth, etc, are just that. Worried about valuables - hotels still has safe deposit boxes, you just have to ask. Worried about stolen luggage - I've worked in Hospitality for years and I have not had one instance of a piece of stored luggage stolen from any of my properties. I've stored luggage at many a hotel around the world for decades and have yet to have a piece go missing. Worried that you will miss out on $.02 worth of your cruise - :rolleyes:

I like to take my time doing something pleasant and board later when it is not crowded. Over on FlyerTalk, there is a term for people who must crowd to be first to board - "gate lice." Whenever there is an opening time for anything, you will always have people who must be first, who will believe they are an exception to the process.

You paid 100% for the Neptune stateroom more so than 200% for a person. The extra perks like breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill are not cost drivers.

igraf

I think complimentary mimosas in Pinnacle at breakfast ha ve dollar value. I think thee is a sedt doll ar amount for food budfet calculatted ffor eacxh number of gguests. Fare is et with consideration for including that sum

Edited by sail7seas

I think complimentary mimosas in Pinnacle at breakfast ha ve dollar value. I think thee is a sedt doll ar amount for food budfet calculatted ffor eacxh number of gguests. Fare is et with consideration for including that sum

There are only complimentary mimosas with Room Service Breakfast, not in the Pinnacle Grill unless there has been a very recent change I am unaware of. Alcoholic drinks in the PG can be had but at a cost.

You may well be right. but I prefer to think that most of the people, like me, are just excited and anxious to get aboard and start their cruise.

Over on FlyerTalk, there is a term for people who must crowd to be first to board - "gate lice." Whenever there is an opening time for anything, you will always have people who must be first, who will believe they are an exception to the process.

Hilarious. I will definitely remember that next time I'm at the airport waiting to board and all the "gate lice" casually get up about 10 minutes before boarding and start crowding the gate. ;)

You paid 100% for the Neptune stateroom more so than 200% for a person. The extra perks like breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill are not cost drivers.

igraf

I know what you're saying, but when you're paying that supplement, it sure feels like you're paying for two people.'

Hilarious. I will definitely remember that next time I'm at the airport waiting to board and all the "gate lice" casually get up about 10 minutes before boarding and start crowding the gate. ;)

On the Delta Flyertalk forum, there is actually an ongoing thread where people post their photos of gate lice in their native habitat. Kind like birdwatchers recording their sightings ;)

On the other hand, a solo passenger in general buys fewer drinks, excursions, etc, etc, compared to two passengers. This is why cruise lines are somewhat unfriendly towards singles and generous with a third passenger.

igraf

On the other hand, a solo passenger in general buys fewer drinks, excursions, etc, etc, compared to two passengers.

I'd like to know where you are getting your data. A single may or may not drink less than two people, depending entirely on the drinking habits of the people involved. But overall, you're probably right on this.

But excursions? A single is more likely to book a HAL excursion than to book a tour by themselves for at least a couple of reasons. It's a lot less expensive, for one thing. It's safer to be with others, for another.

They are also not particularly welcome on private tours, as in this Noah's Ark world those are typically set up for an even number of people, and singles throw off the count.

But excursions? A single is more likely to book a HAL excursion than to book a tour by themselves for at least a couple of reasons. It's a lot less expensive, for one thing. It's safer to be with others, for another.

They are also not particularly welcome on private tours, as in this Noah's Ark world those are typically set up for an even number of people, and singles throw off the count.

I think this may be truer for older singles than younger ones. I know many singles my age (early 50s) and younger that are comfortable touring on our own; perhaps due to experience as a business traveler or maybe we just started doing it at a younger age....?

The private tour thing is easy to get around by starting one's own tour group. I like small tours but have been known to set one up for 3 (myself + a couple) -- we fit nicely in a sedan. Or for 7 in a mini-van, which gives a little more breathing room than 8. I just tell folks what the cost per person is, not per couple.

The private tour thing is easy to get around by starting one's own tour group.

When I'm traveling with people who want to do the same thing, we do set up a private tour together. But we don't always want to do the same thing.

I certainly wouldn't go off with people I don't know at least a little bit. So, HAL tours it is, unless I'm familiar with the area. I agree with you on that---when I am comfortable wandering on my own, I do. But that's not touring in my book.

When I'm traveling with people who want to do the same thing, we do set up a private tour together. But we don't always want to do the same thing.

I certainly wouldn't go off with people I don't know at least a little bit. So, HAL tours it is, unless I'm familiar with the area. I agree with you on that---when I am comfortable wandering on my own, I do. But that's not touring in my book.

Oh, I'm definitely touring. :D I put as much time into preparing for my trips as many guides spend studying for their examinations, I'd wager...

I've not set up a ton of private tours, but I've had good luck on the ones I've done, minus one in Ephesus. Most of the time, if someone's interested in the specialized itinerary I've put together, we've already got something in common, and by the time we've talked back and forth about the trip, we're not strangers...

fAR MORE OFTEN THAN NOT, MY dh AND I did not bhook HAL tours. Also......... jjust because I occupy the cab in alone now, does not mean I never have a ddrink with other p eople. I'd far rrather take the tab than not. JJust tbecause I do not dnhare a cabin odes not mean I dont' share wine, a drink with When I sailed NCL with frineds, wes had drinks adn I cetainly was happy to take my share of the tabs. I am a 'giver. I f I drink with others theyr buy dinks and so do I or I would not be spending time with them.

Edited by sail7seas

I'd like to know where you are getting your data. A single may or may not drink less than two people, depending entirely on the drinking habits of the people involved. But overall, you're probably right on this.

hope we cruise someday together. Singles are always welcome on my private tours.

Yes, Singles can affect the numbers on private tours but there are also vans that you are best with odd numbers. I figure it all works out in the end. And FWIW, I have met some pretty interesting singles that make for great travelling companions on private tours and on board :)

hope we cruise someday together. Singles are always welcome on my private tours.

Thanks, that's nice to know.

So often when reading the roll call threads I see where someone has set up a tour, and is looking for "...two couples...", or some such, to join them. Not "four people".

I was once interested in joining such a tour, even though I didn't know the people involved, but when I asked about joining there "wasn't room". I still don't believe them.

So often when reading the roll call threads I see where someone has set up a tour, and is looking for "...two couples...", or some such, to join them. Not "four people".

I was once interested in joining such a tour, even though I didn't know the people involved, but when I asked about joining there "wasn't room". I still don't believe them.

I hadn't thought much about it because I don't join roll call tours, but now that you mention "couples" I realize that it is how most posts are worded. And your Noah's Ark comment is something I've heard many times from a widowed friend.

I think some people tend to say couples not thinking (sadly) that there are singles on board.

My spread sheets show the number of availability (ie. 4x) not couples. I haven't been on a roll call yet where a single has been refused and I hope I never am. There are singles on my upcoming cruise on my tours and others and have been on my past cruises as well :)

Sometimes only one partner wants to do a tour as well for various reasons, so a single can not only be a person travelling on their own, but part of a couple. ;)

Several of us set up tours on our HAL Westerdam cruise of the Black Sea.

We had a tour for every port, open to the roll call. It was a transparent process where the number of seats were listed, names assigned. If there was high demand, and we could, we got a bigger vehicle and lowered the pp cost.

The first day of the cruise, we met, paid for all tours to the tour leaders, and established an onboard meeting place and time for all participants (usually piano bar) for each excursion.

It was a lot of fun and we bonded as a group. of course, not everyone chose to do very excursion.

So, I wouldn't generalize.

We had several singles that I can recall, even years later!

Oh, I'm definitely touring. :D I put as much time into preparing for my trips as many guides spend studying for their examinations, I'd wager...

I've not set up a ton of private tours, but I've had good luck on the ones I've done, minus one in Ephesus. Most of the time, if someone's interested in the specialized itinerary I've put together, we've already got something in common, and by the time we've talked back and forth about the trip, we're not strangers...

I believe your point is good - after some back and forth on the roll call and discovering a common interest in things to see and do, putting together a small, focused group generally produces a more enjoyable (and certainly more affordable) tour.