Luminae with Non Suite guests

docsdrillers

I realize that non suite guests can dine in Luminae for a fee and based on availability.

My question is if non suite guests can sit in Luminae and dine using the MDR menu only will they still be charged?

We are in a suite and our daughter isn't nor are friends of ours...if they limit their dining to MDR menus will they still be charged a fee.

Just curious if anyone has tried this arrangement..

thanks,

Amit

Loved Luminae on our last cruise.

It does make it difficult for families and friends when everyone is in a different cabin category.You either forgo Luminae and eat in the MDR and lose out on a great incentive that you paid extra for or be charged a ridiculous amount for guests joining you in Luminae...no happy medium.

Yes the charge is to dine there. It's based on the location not the choice of menu items.

Loved Luminae on our last cruise.

It does make it difficult for families and friends when everyone is in a different cabin category.You either forgo Luminae and eat in the MDR and lose out on a great incentive that you paid extra for or be charged a ridiculous amount for guests joining you in Luminae...no happy medium.

It does make it difficult but the space wasn't designed to accommodate suite guests bringing others to join them. If guests could come at no charge Luminae would quickly become crowded, service would suffer, and suite guests would probably end up waiting for a table.

The reverse is also true..Many friends or families traveling together end up dining in the MDR and free up seats designated for those Suite guests who no longer will dine in Luminae.

I understand your point and don't disagree just wish there was a better solution...the two solutions aren't very palatable:).

It does make it difficult but the space wasn't designed to accommodate suite guests bringing others to join them. If guests could come at no charge Luminae would quickly become crowded, service would suffer, and suite guests would probably end up waiting for a table.

What do they charge for a non-suite guest to dine in Luminae?

I didn't even know this was possible. Anyone recommend doing it?

Is the same true for Blu?

A suite guest can invite a non suite guest to dine with them availability allowing. Sailing with friends currently, he wanted to invite his parents to dinner who are not in a suite this time.

This was not allowed on the first two evenings due to lack of availability, so this should be borne in mind.

Aqua class guests cannot invite non aqua guests into Blu. Unless of course they are in a suite etc.

A suite guest may invite a non-suite passenger to join them in Luminae. It is my understanding that it is on a space available basis with the Cost being charged to the Suite guest.

Blu is restricted to Aqua guests and those in Suites may dine there on a space available basis.

Charge is $50 pp charged to the account of the suite guest.

Only suite and Aqua guests may eat in Blu and they are very strict about this.

$50 really ? Wow that is quite a bit. Will they give my wife and I a $10 nightly refund if we promise to eat all our dinners in Specialty Restaurants instead of Luminae on our upcoming cruise ? :D

Suite guests can get in Suite dining for all meals.

Does that mean that they can get items from the Luminae menu served in suite for dinners?

This could be a solution for nonsuite guests...if as one person pointed out that you are only charged for dining in Luminae and not for Luminae food...

Cruising now on Eclipse with 9 people in various venues (4 in Luminae, 2 in AQ and 3 in MDR). Luminae has been quite busy this cruise for all 3 meals. We have been able to have 2 guests the two times we asked. I'm quite sure it depends on timing. Cost continues to be $30, 20, 10 (D, L, B) and we have treated once and had the guests put it on their account once.

It has been a great experience in Luminae - the staff is top notch and we have had few misses on the menu. The MDR menu items that I thought I had preferred and ordered in Luminae have felt a bit mediocre. There may not be as many choices in Luminae but what they have usually seems so much more flavorful.

Our group has had fun at specialties some nights, we went to a wonderful restaurant in Aruba during our overnight there and will have the Progressive Dinner tonight (called Best of the Specialties and one course is in each restaurant paired with wine - Sushi on 5, Qsine, Tuscan, Murano) and will do the Chef's Market Discoveries tour in St Maarten tomorrow with a dinner prepared by the chef tomorrow night so we will have had many dinners together.

Great cruise - the weather is superb! Must get back to the party!!:)

Edited by vtcruising

It used to be $50 per person for dinner. Costs have since been reduced. It's now $30 per person.

There was a time on M-class and C-class ships that the MDR menu would sometimes have a "featured" dish from one of the speciality restaurants or from a restaurant exclusive to the S-class. I don't recall them doing this when I was on Summit last year, but perhaps I am mistaken. However, my point is I don't think they've ever featured an item from Blu or Luminae in the MDR, which would be a great way to sample something that many of us would otherwise never get a chance to try. It might even help promote the benefit of booking a higher category cabin.

I realize there are practical considerations to doing this. I don't expect the Blu or Luminae kitchens to knock out hundreds of extra dishes to serve to MDR guests, but with a little planning, the MDR staff could be trained to prepare a dish or two and the extra ingredients could be stocked.

And that is exactly what happened. The dish was promoted as something from the specialty, but it was prepared in the MDR kitchen. The mushroom cappuccino and the Gran Marnier soufflé come to mind as two dishes which were described that way. They are still served, but the specialty origin is no longer noted.

By the way, we had that soufflé last night. It was not on the printe menu. The waiter said it was a "surprise from the chef".