Clearing Customs and Disembarkation

CLOU

We are taking our first Oceania cruise in about 2 weeks on the Marina in the Caribbean. I have generally cruised on smaller ships, mostly Seabourn, and disembarkation has always been simple and quick. I have been reading a thread about a potentially longish waits for clearing customs. Since Miami, where we will disembark, will be our first port of call after returning to the US, I assume we will have to clear customs. However, since the ship needs to get the passengers off so it can prepare for the passengers for the next cruise, I assume the wait cannot be too long. The itinerary says disembark at 8:00 a.m. I have plenty of time till my flight, but I am thinking about arranging for a car to the airport and I am not sure what time to tell them. In that same vain, since my flight does not leave until after noon, can we remain on until say 9:00 or 9:30 even if we are cleared earlier?

Lastly, if anyone has a car service to recommend, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for any input.

First disembarkation timing is impacted by a number of variables.

Several days before the end of your trip you will get a questionnaire asking what time you wish to depart. I would answer it indicating the latest time allowed which is usually before 9AM if I remember correctly. Also you need to vacate your cabin by 8AM.

We have used CATA car service with out a hitch several times.

Edited by Noxequifans

I have been reading a thread about a potentially longish waits for clearing customs.

To be clear, those waits can apply to any ship, big or small, as they are primarily caused by erstwhile Mensa members who find it impossible to show up as and where required by the Authorities.

I usually book for 8:45 -9am disembarkation

They want everyone off by 9:30 at the latest unless there is some unforeseen problem

I used John's car service a couple of times & shared the ride with 2 other couples on the cruise (prearranged)

we were at the airport by 9:30 am plenty of time for our 12:20 flight ;)

Exactly as JimandStan said; in particular, any non-US citizens have to be cleared on board before anyone can leave the ship. On our cruise in November, disembarkation did not start until 9:30 because one couple decided to ignore repeated calls to present themselves to immigration.

The other variable is luggage; no disembarkation until all luggage has been offloaded and that is subject to the how fast the union decides to work that day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We seem to encounter unforeseen problems every time we disembark in Miami. You really should be at the airport in Miami 2 1/2 - 3 hours prior to your flight so you shouldn't need to hang around the ship. In early December, we were amongst the first off the ship due to our 11:20 a.m. flight. This past week someone posted that they were not able to get off of the ship until 10:30 a.m. Unfortunately, in Miami, no one is permitted off of the ship until all of the luggage is off-loaded. Watching the union workers is like watching a snail convention:o

We seem to encounter unforeseen problems every time we disembark in Miami. You really should be at the airport in Miami 2 1/2 - 3 hours prior to your flight so you shouldn't need to hang around the ship. In early December, we were amongst the first off the ship due to our 11:20 a.m. flight. This past week someone posted that they were not able to get off of the ship until 10:30 a.m. Unfortunately, in Miami, no one is permitted off of the ship until all of the luggage is off-loaded. Watching the union workers is like watching a snail convention:o

Amen brother! Our first landing there Dec '13 was a zoo trying to get off Riviera at the end of a TA from Barcelona. The mob of people trying to get off regardless of the time/groups being called was totally offensive/oppressive.

This past Dec '16 getting off the same ship was even more magnified by more than an hour's delay past 0800 debarking time, the usual subway car cramming mob trying to get off deck six and when you finally got into the baggage hall, at least a third of the baggage hadn't been brought in from the ship and was then put in a separate holding area kept off limits for almost another hour before people still looking for bags were allowed to enter to find their missing luggage. It was an incredible debacle. Not sure how much was ships problem but we've gotten off enough Oceania ships to be relatively certain it had to be a customs/port authority foul up. And it was an infuriating dandy!

Unfortunately (we love Oceania and Riviera TA's) we're doing another TA on Riviera this coming November and dreading the Miami Port experience. I'm considering looking for some sort of baggage handling alternative if there is one. :(

JMBobB

Unfortunately (we love Oceania and Riviera TA's) we're doing another TA on Riviera this coming November and dreading the Miami Port experience. I'm considering looking for some sort of baggage handling alternative if there is one. :(

JMBobB

I feel your pain. Miami can be a ZOO.

Why not just sit back, relax and be the last one off the ship :D

Got off Riviera today. The issue was not going through customs but rather getting off the ship. We waited an annoying half hour in line on ship after our tag was called. We had not made much progress when more tags were announced.

After getting off the ship it was a piece of cake.

Sorry Riviera, bad job today.