How formal on TA cruises?

dad son team

I'm thinking of booking a TA cruise in April on the Konigsdam. This will be my first time on HAL and first TA. Most of my other cruises have been drivable to the port so I never worried about how much I brought. Now with this one involving flights on both ends, I will be a little more conservative. Ideally, I would like to be able to do it with 1 bag to check plus a small carry on, but I'm not sure how to do that for 13 nights, plus a few more in Rome. Are the evenings very formal on these cruises or can I get away with a shirt and tie?

On this same note, do they have any laundry promo's during such a ling cruise? I've heard NCL has a deal about midway through to fill a bag for $20. Does HAL do something like that?

You will be just fine and well within HAL's dress suggestions if you pack small and just have a collared shirt and pants for "gala night" - the "formal" night has gone the way of the dinosaur. You will see some still sticking to the old formal, but it is not the rule, more of those wanting to keep the same they've always done. We just have to learn to coexist :)

From the HAL website on it's "What to wear" section:

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

The decision you want to make is this: will it bother you to be in the minority in terms of dressing on "elegant" nights? While black tie and tuxedo is only worn by about 20% of the men, the vast majority will be in suit and tie or jacket and tie. Only about 20% will be meeting the minimum and nothing more. You need to make the decision for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree; we have noticed that more people dress up on TAs than on Caribbean or other shorter cruises. With so many sea days, evenings seem more festive, with lots of evening activity. However, there is a range, so what you propose fits.

The decision you want to make is this: will it bother you to be in the minority in terms of dressing on "elegant" nights? While black tie and tuxedo is only worn by about 20% of the men, the vast majority will be in suit and tie or jacket and tie. Only about 20% will be meeting the minimum and nothing more. You need to make the decision for yourself.

You make it sound like being in a minority is a bad thing ... ?

On this same note, do they have any laundry promo's during such a ling cruise? I've heard NCL has a deal about midway through to fill a bag for $20. Does HAL do something like that?

HAL has the $20 per laundry bag every day.

There is also an unlimited plan for $7 per day, times the number of days in the cruise.

In both cases there is a cut-off a day or two before the end of the cruise, so the laundry can be done and returned to you in time for packing.

The price, both for the per bag and unlimited, are generally higher in Europe. Since your cruise is starting in North America, it is likely you would be charged the lower price.

As to the dress code, why not just stick a tie (or two) in a jacket pocket, then wear the jacket during your flight? You will be more dressed up on Gala night that way, with no strain on your luggage.

Some are very concerned about being over or under dressed. They want to fit in and that's one reason some prefer dress codes that are strictly enforced. They know they won't stand out.

I live by the 'be a flamingo in a flock of pigeons ' mantra ...;)

I live by the 'be a flamingo in a flock of pigeons ' mantra ...;)

Love that!

If you don't want to take the jacket, do not take the jacket. Leave your travel outerwear for something that you actually want to take and wear. I could not think of anything more, well, interesting, than stuffing ties into a jacket to wear on a TATL flight; if someone really wants to take a tie, there is plenty of room in any bag for that.

I can tell you my husband's experience. The last cruise in July 2016 was the first one with the new dress code. He has always complained about having to pack a jacket since we try to limit luggage also. So he packed dress shirts and tie and also a pull over sweater. He never felt out of place (he did not wear the sweater every gala evening-just when he needed it for warmth) Most of the men did have jackets but there were also many without. So you should be fine.

How dressed up people are on a cruise is based not just on the cruise itinerary but also the mix of passengers on board.

Different demographics and different nationalities can dress up more than others. There is no way to know beforehand what the mix will be on board.

So wear what makes you feel good and what you are comfortable in and don't worry about the others. As long as you are happy with how you look and happy on your cruise, that is the main thing.

The dress code is easy to adhere to and there really are no fashion police on board ;)

You make it sound like being in a minority is a bad thing ... ?

Not necessarily. But some might not want to feel underdressed ( underdressed as defined by what the majority of people are wearing. ). Others do not care if they dress at the more casual extreme of the allowable spectrum.

Thanks. I guess my question was more about how it is on a TA versus a Caribbean cruise. The plan was for trousers and collard shirt every night anyway so no change there, but I was hoping to get away from bringing a suit.

In answer to your narrower questions, I have found that men tend to dress more formally,i.e. jacket and slacks, on a TA than on a Caribbean cruise. This is based on having sailed on three TA's and several Caribbean cruises. Further, it appears that the late-seating diners tend to dress more formally than the earlier diners. And we did see a lot of tuxes on our recent TA, but there was also a large contingent of Europeans aboard which might have made a difference.

Our last TA was after the new, more lax, dress code was implemented. After reading here about how much 'less dressy' males were going, DH only brought a sport coat, slacks, and ties for the 'gala nights'. He felt incredibly underdressed. There were many, many tuxes and dinner jackets. Not even many in dark suits but far more than the few wearing sports coats. I can probably count on one hand those who didn't have a jacket. YMMV, but that's our experience.

Our last TA was after the new, more lax, dress code was implemented. After reading here about how much 'less dressy' males were going, DH only brought a sport coat, slacks, and ties for the 'gala nights'. He felt incredibly underdressed. There were many, many tuxes and dinner jackets. Not even many in dark suits but far more than the few wearing sports coats. I can probably count on one hand those who didn't have a jacket. YMMV, but that's our experience.

That's been our experience, too!

How long after the announcement of the new dress code was your TA?

While black tie and tuxedo is only worn by about 20% of the men, the vast majority will be in suit and tie or jacket and tie. Only about 20% will be meeting the minimum and nothing more.
That may be true for a T-A, but on your upcoming Oosterdam cruise expect that it will likely not be true. On our Dec West Carib on the O-dam it was maybe 10% tuxes, 10% dark suit and tie, 25% minimum required, and 50% jacket or tie but not both. The remaining 5% did not even meet the minimum "collared shirt and slacks", but were allowed in anyway. We dined in Open seating and early, and late/fixed would likely be more dressy. Edited by jtl513

That may be true for a T-A, but on your upcoming Oosterdam cruise expect that it will likely not be true. On our Dec West Carib on the O-dam it was maybe 10% tuxes, 10% dark suit and tie, 25% minimum required, and 50% jacket or tie but not both. The remaining 5% did not even meet the minimum "collared shirt and slacks", but were allowed in anyway. We dined in Open seating and early, and late/fixed would likely be more dressy.

My -very conscious- observations were for a panama canal trip on the Zuiderdam in February of 2016, not a T-A. I will admit, it was the main (later) fixed seating.

HAL has the $20 per laundry bag every day.

There is also an unlimited plan for $7 per day, times the number of days in the cruise.

In both cases there is a cut-off a day or two before the end of the cruise, so the laundry can be done and returned to you in time for packing.

The price, both for the per bag and unlimited, are generally higher in Europe. Since your cruise is starting in North America, it is likely you would be charged the lower price.

As to the dress code, why not just stick a tie (or two) in a jacket pocket, then wear the jacket during your flight? You will be more dressed up on Gala night that way, with no strain on your luggage.

I was about to say the same thing. Not only does it relieve packing strain but the jacket pockets can hold your metal items and make just taking your jacket off and sending it through the scanner a breeze. If you decide you're wearing the jacket too much and it needs a cleaning, HAL's dry cleaning prices are also rock bottom.

Roy

Almost all the men on our recent 11 day N A cruise wore a tux, dark suit or a sports coat at the late fixed seating. I went against the flow and wore dark blue slacks and a long sleeved button down Oxford shirt with a tie, but no jacket. This eliminated packing the dress shoes that I would normally wear with a suit as well as the bulky suit jacket itself. I would estimate that maybe 5% of the men did not wear a jacket. As we were going to be in Ft Lauderdale for 4 days pre and 6 days post cruise for a total of 21 days, space in the suitcase was at a premium. Wearing the jacket onto the plane was not an option as it was minus 21 when we left home and minus 11 when we returned.

As there is nothing "Gala" about the night anymore - the wait staff wear the same uniforms, the chairs are no longer covered, and there is little special about the menu, it is really just another night at the dining room.