Using Enhanced Drivers Licenses as ID upon return to Cruise ports

myfuzzy

Is it possible that CBP officers asking for BC might not have functioning EDL readers?

It shouldn't matter because they could scan the bar code on the back (and the EDL reader is the same one used for reading passports and passport cards as they all use the same RFID chip).

• 2 weeks later...

On a somewhat related topic, Mobile Passport app- at Pt Everglades last Thursday, "Unable to process". Don't know if it was app, Wifi connection or what, cleared the old-fashioned way with the paper form. CBP wanted my temporary address in the US, which is on the paper form but not the app.

I also have a FAST card (commercial equivalent of Nexus), which is sometimes TWIC compliant, depending whether this is a -flip week or a -flop week.

I am impressed with the well thought out, well phrased answers that have been given here. However, anyone have any ideas how to get this point across to the people at the desks upon disembarkation?

If that embarkation port is in California, don't hold your breath. No EDLs here and considerable resistance across the state (from legislators to voters) to ever doing it (and wasting our tax dollars). Further, if "push comes to shove," and California decides not to have EDLs in the future, the Feds will have to cave with an exemption or face giving us one more reason to secede while losing our significant travel dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If that embarkation port is in California, don't hold your breath. No EDLs here and considerable resistance across the state (from legislators to voters) to ever doing it (and wasting our tax dollars). Further, if "push comes to shove," and California decides not to have EDLs in the future, the Feds will have to cave with an exemption or face giving us one more reason to secede while losing our significant travel dollars.

I believe what California is resistant to is the REAL ID act, which is a different animal than the EDL. Issuing EDLs is something that is completely voluntary for the states and as of right now only 5 states issue them (non-REAL ID act compliant NY issues EDLs, and for the holders of NY EDLs their license is REAL ID act compliant).

I think you're confusing the EDL with REAL ID-compliant drivers licenses. REAL ID licenses are mandated by the REAL ID Act passed by Congress in 2005 in response to the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission. That's what many states have been resisting.

The EDL is strictly an optional form of documentation, not mandated by any law or regulation.

REAL ID licenses are not a form of proof of citizenship. EDLs are.

Edit: I just noticed that sparks1093 already made this point earlier today. Sorry for the unnecessary duplication.

Since the ICE officers are Federal agents, the fact that they happen to be working in California shouldn't matter.

ICE is the enforcement arm of DHS, responsible for deportations, etc. Routine processing of individuals entering the US at its borders and ports is done by CBP. Agents of both are part of DHS.

You are correct that it shouldn't matter that they are working in California.. Whether ICE or CBP, they are federal agents who should be familiar with all forms of documentation accepted by the federal government.

My take on all this is even if I'm on a closed loop cruise, I will be stepping off into a foreign country(ies) at some point and I'll have my passport with me, along with my EDL.

That's why I have a passport.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

If you have a passport then what is the purpose of an EDL?

• 3 months later...
This is Bull they have a list of complaint document they called the citizens to use. I spent money for it if so called border officials aren't trained or haven't seen it then simply call for a superior that's that.

:-)), don't book an early flight.