little bit of a dilemma

Scotico

So my cruise leaves on a Saturday at 4pm out of Miami. Just found out I am traveling that week for work and my flight arrives at FLL at 2:30. How late do they accept cruisers on the ship. If I got there at 3:45 would everything be ok? I am going to meet my wife at the port and plan on arranging for a ride from the airport to the port. Thankfully it's a domestic flight and will not be checking any luggage. Problem is getting from the airport to the port of Miami within an hour. Also flying business class so I will be off the plane first.

Before anyone asks this is the earliest flight I can catch.

So my cruise leaves on a Saturday at 4pm out of Miami. Just found out I am traveling that week for work and my flight arrives at FLL at 2:30. How late do they accept cruisers on the ship. If I got there at 3:45 would everything be ok? I am going to meet my wife at the port and plan on arranging for a ride from the airport to the port. Thankfully it's a domestic flight and will not be checking any luggage. Problem is getting from the airport to the port of Miami within an hour. Also flying business class so I will be off the plane first.

The manifest must be submitted 60 mins before departure so 15 mins is not even close

"Due to new government regulations requiring cruise lines to submit final departure manifests at least 60 minutes prior to sailing,"

This is taken from Celebrity's website:

Q: How early do I need to arrive at the pier for my cruise?

A: Due to new government regulations requiring cruise lines to submit final departure manifests at least 60 minutes prior to sailing, guests are requested to complete Online Check-in no later than three days prior to their cruise. If you have not completed Online Check-in, you will be required to complete this process at the pier two hours prior to the published sailing time.

Please note Xpress Pass guests (checked-in online) whose cruise departs from ports in the United States are required to be at the pier and checked-in no later than 60 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you may not be permitted to board. For a cruise that departs from other ports not in the United States, please review your travel documents carefully for your boarding time.

No refunds will be given to guests who fail to bring the proper travel documents or show up late.

So basically I will have to be there at 2:30 even though it does not leave until 4pm. There is a horrible red-eye I can take but will not get there until 1;30. May have to do that.

Try to fly into Miami that will also save you about 15-20 mins

Try to fly into Miami that will also save you about 15-20 mins

Tried that but it is not that much of a difference in the drive. MIA is way out west and you need to go through some horrible roads to get to the port. The airport expressway seems to be always congested and MIA is a lot busier. FLL is right off 95 and it's a strait shot to the port. Flying into MIA may save me about 10 minutes at the most. Right now seems like my only option will be to take the red eye which happens to be a 14 hour flight since there is a layover.

Nice. I live in Sunny Isles Beach. Not that far from the port.

I actually just switched my flight but it will be a bti of work but much less risk and the need to get a rental car. Got a red-eye into Naples which arrives there at 9am. I will rent a car and drive to the rental center in MIA where they will shuttle me to the port. That seems to be my best option.

I'm from Fort Lauderdale and would definitely recommend flying into MIA, 20-30 minutes to the port depending on traffic. From Fort Laud it can take anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour or more with traffic issues...even on the weekends.

Don't miss the boat! Best of luck!

Ft Lauderdale (FLL) airport can have awful traffic on the arrival level. I have used that airport on a regular basis and you can very occasionally get right through, but it's more likely that you will crawl through traffic for up to 20 minutes just to get out of the airport.

We took a car service from a hotel right next to the FLL airport a couple weeks ago and it was 35 to 40 minutes to the Miami cruise terminal - about 29 miles. That was with no traffic and a driver who wasn't paying attention to the posted speed limit.

Miami might be a larger airport, but my experience is that it's less likely to have a traffic nightmare. Once you get on the toll road SR-112 (don't let your driver take surface streets to avoid the toll) it's a straight shot to the 95 and then you can pick up the new tunnel that will take you right to the cruise terminal. That trip should take you 15 to 20 minutes and is only 10 miles.

Miami is a much better choice if you can get a flight there.

You did good......the flight to Naples will give you plenty of time to make the cruise. We've driven Alligator Alley many times...it's an easy, although boring drive. Just be careful to stay awake after the red eye..

You need to be on board 90 minutes prior to sailing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I would strongly suggest you change flights. You could experience a delay at the airport- and you are supposed to be on board a minimum of one hour before the ship leaves. You have to go to the muster station and sign in. The time is typically around 3:00 for the muster station drill.

Enjoy

Like ghstudio said, Naples is a good job of thinking it out. Any other way you have zero margin for error....Try and get a nap on the red eye and go and enjoy the cruise.

Counting on a starbucks to be in the airport. I think this is my best option. I drove this route many times and it a very boring drive with nothing to see. Should take about 1.5 hrs to get to the airport.

Yes it is boring....find some good music, some caffine and a few snacks... I do made it too many times in the years I was working in FL. The worst day was going WPB to Port St. Lucie to Port Charlotte and back to WPB all in one day....Safe travels and when you get on the ship, you will let out a long sigh of relief....

Nice. I live in Sunny Isles Beach. Not that far from the port.

I actually just switched my flight but it will be a bti of work but much less risk and the need to get a rental car. Got a red-eye into Naples which arrives there at 9am. I will rent a car and drive to the rental center in MIA where they will shuttle me to the port. That seems to be my best option.

Great you were able to work it out. Have a wonderful cruise. :)

Frankly, you could have a big problem making the cruise.

So far you have been assuming that your flight will actually arrive on time.

It might. It might not. And there are a whole number of possibilities it might not.

I think you need to try to rearrange your work schedule so you can fly to the port the day before embarkation.

Have you said what time you end work the day prior, and where you will be flying from?

I'd take the next available flight right after work, book a hotel room at whatever airport you're flying into that night before (tell them you'll be arriving REALLY late), nap when you get there and make the drive after that.