Pocket knife, already arrived....

jabo73

We flew into Puerto Rico today and my husband packed his pocket knife in his luggage without realizing he could not have on board. Is this something they will confiscate and keep, or would Royal Caribbean return it after the cruise? Just wondering if we should mail it back home before we board tomorrow? The knife was a gift and we would not want to lose it. Thanks for any advice!

We flew into Puerto Rico today and my husband packed his pocket knife in his luggage without realizing he could not have on board. Is this something they will confiscate and keep, or would Royal Caribbean return it after the cruise? Just wondering if we should mail it back home before we board tomorrow? The knife was a gift and we would not want to lose it. Thanks for any advice!

They might hold it and give it back at the end of the cruise. Or not do anything at all. Let us know.

Gwen 😀

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

I always have a small multi-tool pocket knife in my checked luggage and have never had a problem. I think that this is one of those areas where a little bit of common sense is applied by security. I wouldn't expect to get a 12" Bowie knife through security, but a small pocket knife shouldn't raise any eyebrows.

My husband has carried his swiss army knife many times and never had a problem but last cruise in October in Southampton he was called to the naughty room as they saw something on the x-ray.

It was the swiss army knife. He was told that although it must be in checked baggage for the airplane, it must be in carry on for the ship so they can immediately investigate. (Go figure).

They gave him back his knife without further problem to take on the cruise.

I would assume that even if they did confiscate it at departure, it would have been returned at final arrival, as for things like irons, etc.

I always have a small multi-tool pocket knife in my checked luggage and have never had a problem. I think that this is one of those areas where a little bit of common sense is applied by security. I wouldn't expect to get a 12" Bowie knife through security, but a small pocket knife shouldn't raise any eyebrows.

How recently have you taken a multi-tool on a Royal Caribbean ship? They have been confiscating them in checked baggage for years.

How recently have you taken a multi-tool on a Royal Caribbean ship? They have been confiscating them in checked baggage for years.

First RCI cruise is next month, but on Celebrity March 2016 and HAL November 2016. Don't confuse the large Leatherman and similar multi-tools with significant knife blades, saws, etc., with the teeny Squirt model that I take with me.

First RCI cruise is next month, but on Celebrity March 2016 and HAL November 2016. Don't confuse the large Leatherman and similar multi-tools with significant knife blades, saws, etc., with the teeny Squirt model that I take with me.

I am not confusing anything. Where did I mention any size multi-tool in my post?

We have sailed Royal Caribbean and they do confiscate multi-tools and swiss army knives, even the small ones. We used to have no isssues, but in recent years we have had to retrieve our bag from the naughty room more that once.

I am not confusing anything. Where did I mention any size multi-tool in my post?

We have sailed Royal Caribbean and they do confiscate multi-tools and swiss army knives, even the small ones. We used to have no isssues, but in recent years we have had to retrieve our bag from the naughty room more that once.

Thanks for your perspective.

I had a small pocket/utility knife in my carry on when I was boarding Allure (may have been another RC ship). It was taken at Fort Lauderdale and I was told I would get it back at the terminal when we disembarked. It was a knife I had found and I did not want to wait in line for it at Port Everglades, so I never claimed it.

When boarding process began at PE, at the final security check, an alarm went off when my sea pass card was scanned. Never before, never since...guess it had to do with the pocket knife found in my carry on.

I had a small pocket/utility knife in my carry on when I was boarding Allure (may have been another RC ship). It was taken at Fort Lauderdale and I was told I would get it back at the terminal when we disembarked. It was a knife I had found and I did not want to wait in line for it at Port Everglades, so I never claimed it.

When boarding process began at PE, at the final security check, an alarm went off when my sea pass card was scanned. Never before, never since...guess it had to do with the pocket knife found in my carry on.

And a nice reminder to retrieve it, if you wanted. Same thing happened to my BIL at Bayonne, He had forgotten it and was happy it happened.

I can usually get my DH'S inch and a 1/2 blade on. Very thin. Pack with clippers, tweezers, nail file, little scissors. dental floss, sewing kit, mini flashlight etc.

I misunderstood your post. This happened to my BIL when we were disembarking.

Edited by Ocean Dancer
misunderstanding

We have a friend that had a little 2" pen knife on him at Bayonne, NJ and they took it away....he never got it back.

I take a small 2" scissor and they only questioned me one time, but left me keep them.

I have also seen a lady with about a 6" hat pin that was not questioned at all. And what about those women who knit on a cruise. Those knitting needles look like they could be dangerous. And they also give us steak knives at dinner.......

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I, like many on this board are D to D+ or above, so we have done a lot of cruises. My experience, and I always cary a multitool and other things like camping eating combo tools since many of my trips are always extended. I have only had my "one" of my knifes confiscated but the other tools were given back to me in the naughty room and I got it back living the ship. I was called to the naughty room a year or so ago, and I nicely ask them what they were looking for since I had my usual tools, he nicely said, a knife, I opened the luggage for him and dug out the combo eating tools and he said NO problem just keep them in the room and luggage. My lady has the 2 inch knife from Swiss army and has forgotten to take it out of her carry on luggage both on airlines and ships, and only once did she lose it on a airline. It seems to be hit or miss.

I had them raise there eyebrows over a tiny pair of scissors once at check in. They had to call over a supervisor to make sure it was okay. I would put it in your checked baggage. If it is caught it may be brought to the naughty room but worst case they confiscate it and return it at the end of the cruise. If you put it in checked baggage then if they do catch it you won't even make it on the ship and they will hold it at port. Much easier to have it confiscated on the ship in my opinion.

My brother had his confiscated on Allure last month, it does happen....K.O.:eek:

Thank you everyone for all of your input!! For anyone wondering, the knife DID make it through. My husband kept the knife clipped in the pocket of a pair of pants in his checked luggage. The luggage did arrive as usual at our stateroom door. Thank you again for everyone's input!

Thank you everyone for all of your input!! For anyone wondering, the knife DID make it through. My husband kept the knife clipped in the pocket of a pair of pants in his checked luggage. The luggage did arrive as usual at our stateroom door. Thank you again for everyone's input!

Thanks for the update! 👍

They have a lot of knifes on board that anyone can use for everything so no reason to confiscate yours for scurity reasons. It is not an airplane.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

+1, the steak knives in Chops are pretty sharp, and you can make a shank out of practically anything lol, my friend is a jail guard.

My wife brought a pocket knife with corkscrew in checked luggage on/off, she forgot about security issues, and I have an iPad stand when folded looks like a big switchblade. I'm going to say it's the diligence of the screener, it may or may not be confiscated, they're looking for more obvious risks but for other readers here, if you don't want the risk of being questioned and slowed down, don't bring one.