Etiquette Question For those Organizing Roll Call Tours

docsdrillers

Hi All

This has been a question gnawing at me for awhile as I find it a bit uncomfortable to ask.

One of the principal reasons we choose to sail with Celebrity is because of their strict non smoking policy.

Is it improper/against etiquette to ask those wanting to join tours you are organizing if they are smokers?

Amit

Hi All

This has been a question gnawing at me for awhile as I find it a bit uncomfortable to ask.

One of the principal reasons we choose to sail with Celebrity is because of their strict non smoking policy.

Is it improper/against etiquette to ask those wanting to join tours you are organizing if they are smokers?

Amit

If you are sensitive to smokers I'd just advertise your tour as a smoke free tour.

What does smoking have to do with a roll call tour ?

Because people could be smoking while walking around outdoor areas of the tour, as well as smell like cigarette smoke while riding in the van - both of which many non-smokers may find unpleasant.

OP - if you are the one putting the time and effort into organizing the tour, I see nothing wrong with requesting that only non-smokers join.

Both of you hit the nail on the head and I feel the same way but felt a bit uneasy about asking.

I just figured this is such a hot button issue on these boards and assumed I'd be flamed for even bringing up the subject.

So thanks for making feel better and less of a heal if I ask:)

Amit

I agree. Even if there is no smoking on the tour vehicle you would likely have to deal with the smell f smoke lingering on the smoker's clothing in the close environment of a van. I'm sensitive to smoke and its smell and I know I would not be a happy camper.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are sensitive to smokers I'd just advertise your tour as a smoke free tour.

+1. When I organize tours, I make it clear up front what my rules are under the assumption that if it is my tour, I make the rules. Two of them are that you must be a non-smoker (even if you do not actually smoke on the tour - you stink of smoke) and you must be mobile. If you can't live w those rules, don't join my tour.

DON

Hope to see you on a tour someday:)

Amit

+1. When I organize tours, I make it clear up front what my rules are under the assumption that if it is my tour, I make the rules. Two of them are that you must be a non-smoker (even if you do not actually smoke on the tour - you stink of smoke) and you must be mobile. If you can't live w those rules, don't join my tour.

DON

Because people could be smoking while walking around outdoor areas of the tour, as well as smell like cigarette smoke while riding in the van - both of which many non-smokers may find unpleasant.

By all means let them know the rules.

I would appreciate it, as I would not want to be on a tour with anyone that is so sensitive.:rolleyes:

Hi All

Amit

Just say that the tour is a non-smoking tour.

I guess I feel very. very lucky. I have organized tours and been on many that others have organized on my roll call, but have never encountered any smokers including drivers and guides. In fact, people have been very considerate and friendly. Several of us who met on tours are all traveling together this April. It makes me wonder if the quality of the tour, along with a small groups of people make a difference. So, i feel very lucky to have never encountered this on a tour. However, i do get stuck in the back or middle because i am short!:eek: Now that does ruffle my feathers a little! I have a friend who was not able to have her tour do one or two activities due to one or two not being able to walk very far; she was aggravated about that and I do not blame her. In St Petersburg, my DH and I did a private tour for two days by ourselves and it was the very best, as we were able to go and see so much more than if we were with a group of 8!

Yes, i see nothing wrong with advertising a tour as non-smoking, but as far as one making all sorts of rules...my tour; my rules...to me that is a little much and I would not hesitate to laugh a little and move on...but that is just me and not my personality! I think those grumpy old men tours should stick with their kind!

Edited by Lastdance

For many years, probably from the mid 90's, I organized tours on four continents and wish I had had the foresight to ask about physical limitations. One tour in South America involved 60 from our Roll Call in vans, not buses, and 57 participants were held up or delayed at multiple stops because of those three members. Needless to say that was the last time I offered to arrange tours.

I do smoke so the shoe was on the other foot. Everyone who expressed interest in my tours was informed before they committed and I can't recall anyone reclining. That would have been fine. And I also never got any negative feedback either. Maybe everyone was being extraordinarily polite but I always carry neutral fabric spray and use it.

AS regards arranging tours; on our Baltic cruise on the Eclipse I arranged a 2 day St Petersburg tour. From the outset I put it out there that I had osteoarthritis and couldn't walk quickly. 3 other couples elected to join the tour which we customised to suit - I liaised pretty much with one of the 2 US couples and between us we had a great itinerary planned. For the 2 days the 8 of us had a 12 seater minibus from SPB tours, with brilliant guide, friendly driver and free wifi! All of us did as much or as little was we wished e.g. one couple and one US spouse sat out the trip on the Underground- they took advantage of the little break and we were all happy with the speed at which we took through the Hermitage etc.

I feel communication is the key - set out what are set requirements and plan what is negotiable and get a great tour (and deal) which suits everyone. In these days of email etc it is pretty straightforward. I would have no hesitation in doing it again.

On our forthcoming UK cruise as we dock in Liverpool just a few miles from where we live I have volunteered to lead a tour of the city - have done this before for US friends - your tours are what you make of them :)

On a slightly serious note, to avoid 3rd hand smoke on people's clothes you would have to have a non smoking guide and driver and avoid most tourist attractions, theatres etc. Diesel fumes from mini buses, coaches and in cities are also dangerous. We all weigh up how we want to live in modern society and what risks we wish to take in everyday life. However, if you wish to organise a tour with only non smoking guests and tour companies I can see no problem in your choice. I am a little less risk averse on the health front but would join others in saying I don't like the smell of stale smoke or stale BO in confined spaces.

So DonSC, what would you do if you wind up with a smoking driver? I realize they won't smoke in the van, but I've seen many of them grab a smoke at stops.

Do you always request a non smoking driver?

I have organised number of private excursions and on each occasion I have outlined the rules of the excursion up front including where required full payment in advance. Those who want to participate will comply or as I have advised to some Please organise your own. In all occasions I have arranged private excursions everyone who has joined has had an enjoyable time and on going relationships have developed since. I have never stipulated non smoking probably because I have never thought about it but have never had smokers raise the issue. Most modern vans are air conditioned and drivers wont allow smoking onboard their vehicle anyway. Fortunately smokers are very much on the decline and are in the minority. I just wish that cigar smoking on cruise ships was banned .

I agree. Even if there is no smoking on the tour vehicle you would likely have to deal with the smell f smoke lingering on the smoker's clothing in the close environment of a van. I'm sensitive to smoke and its smell and I know I would not be a happy camper.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ditto. I hate even being on an elevator with the smokers.

Advertise as a non-smoking tour.