Shareholder benefit rant

Nanner

Am I the only one having issues trying to claim our shareholder OBC? Over the weekend we tried faxing the documentation to HAL at the number listed on their website for same (206-281-0627). It came up busy several times. Today DH tried at work and it still came up busy. I drove to a FedEx Office and tried, and heard "the voice" state the line was disconnected.

Went out to the parking lot and called HAL's Mariner office on my cell. Woman couldn't help directly, but said the World Cruise office handles the benefit, so she transferred me over. Talked to a man there who gave me the fax number for their office, and said to be patient, it should show on my account in a couple of days. Elapsed time at this point is about a half hour.

Go back into FedEx Office, try the number given. We can hear voices on the "fax line". Not a good sign. Failed again. Back to the parking lot, this time I call Guest Relations. Guy there tells me that the number I had for faxes to World Cruise office was correct, but states I can scan and email the information to HAL at interline@hollandamerica.com. So I get home, call DH at work, he forwards me a scan of the 2 pages of documentation (cover letter with sail date, reservation number, etc. and proof of stock ownership). I then added a cover email detailing my wasted time trying to take care of all this.

Frankly, I'd be happiest if they gave me a few extra OBC dollars for the aggravation. I'm still irritated, but it feels good just to share this whole stupid runaround.

Didn't HAL recently move? Do you suppose they still haven't gotten their fax line up and running yet?

I also had trouble today faxing the request for shareholder benefit. The gal at ups store said they were either extremely busy or I had the wrong #

Ended up calling Hal for a different reason but asked about the Fax# it was correct. Had bad weather out in Seattle today so maybe it was the phone lines. Will try again tomorrow

Janet

Just one more reason to use a TA.

I printed a copy of my broker's statement.

Blacked out the account number.

Scanned it to my computer.

Emailed it to my TA.

About five minutes later received an "I'll handle it" email from my TA.

Took maybe 10 minutes from printing to the TA email.

I've had TAs that wouldn't do it for us.... now we use a HAL PCC and he gladly does it for us. He says he walks it down the hall to the right office.

I didn't used to get any confirmation when I faxed it myself but the last couple of times with the PCC I have gotten them promptly, within a day. Nice.

OPs issues sound irregular and may be due to the move or weather or something else. I hope it smooths out. m--

I sent my Shareholder info to that number on Friday PM. at the UPS store. My Travel agent wouldn't. That evening I got a reply that the benefit would be applied on the first day of my cruise. Oosterdam 3/3.:) So it WAS working on Friday.

I have a TA, but I have never asked them to do this.

I just fax it when they are OPEN and it always goes through.

I have an email back in less than an hour confirming it.

I am thinking it is the move. Fax lines, phone lines being moved?

I sent mine January 25 and received an email confirmation within an hour! I was very impressed, since my experience with Princess has been difficult. Here is where I sent it:

To: HOLLAND AMERICA WORLD CRUISE RESERVATIONS

FAX: 206-281-0627

Am I the only one having issues trying to claim our shareholder OBC? Over the weekend we tried faxing the documentation to HAL at the number listed on their website for same (206-281-0627). It came up busy several times. Today DH tried at work and it still came up busy. I drove to a FedEx Office and tried, and heard "the voice" state the line was disconnected.

Went out to the parking lot and called HAL's Mariner office on my cell. Woman couldn't help directly, but said the World Cruise office handles the benefit, so she transferred me over. Talked to a man there who gave me the fax number for their office, and said to be patient, it should show on my account in a couple of days. Elapsed time at this point is about a half hour.

Go back into FedEx Office, try the number given. We can hear voices on the "fax line". Not a good sign. Failed again. Back to the parking lot, this time I call Guest Relations. Guy there tells me that the number I had for faxes to World Cruise office was correct, but states I can scan and email the information to HAL at interline@hollandamerica.com. So I get home, call DH at work, he forwards me a scan of the 2 pages of documentation (cover letter with sail date, reservation number, etc. and proof of stock ownership). I then added a cover email detailing my wasted time trying to take care of all this.

Frankly, I'd be happiest if they gave me a few extra OBC dollars for the aggravation. I'm still irritated, but it feels good just to share this whole stupid runaround.

I have never had a problem with faxing the info to HAL. However, I no longer have a fax machine, so I emailed the info. I got a response from HAL that said they would process that stockholder benefit for that cruise, but I would have to snail mail the info in the future as their computer system "is not secure" enough ! What??? They have names, birthdates, passport numbers, credit card numbers...but the system is not secure???? Snail mail it is, I guess for all our future cruises.

Just one more reason to use a TA.

I printed a copy of my broker's statement.

Blacked out the account number.

Scanned it to my computer.

Emailed it to my TA.

About five minutes later received an "I'll handle it" email from my TA.

Took maybe 10 minutes from printing to the TA email.

I also do the same thing! Except my TA's email just says "Done" and about 5 minutes later the verification from HAL is in my email.

I sent mine January 25 and received an email confirmation within an hour! I was very impressed, since my experience with Princess has been difficult. Here is where I sent it:

To: HOLLAND AMERICA WORLD CRUISE RESERVATIONS

FAX: 206-281-0627

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Shareholders Onboard Credit is a scam. They don't give it to you, even if you write to the president of HAL. They claim you don't submit it correctly. How can you not submit "correctly" if you send the required paperwork to the designated place in the instructions.??????? It is like SimonSays game.

Plus, they refuse to give it to you post-cruise. They cheat you out of it and then they still cheat you when you complain.

They say you will get it prior to your cruise when you check and ; surprise, when you are on the ship, it is not there. It does not show 9n any cruise documentation.

HAL lies.

Am I the only one having issues trying to claim our shareholder OBC?

Sounds like an annoying, temporary glitch in HAL's system, Nanner.

I send my request by snail mail requesting email confirmation, haven't sent a fax in a decade or two. HAL responds in a timely manner.

cruiserzoid, enough of us receive the credit to know that the offer is not a scam. I am guessing that Holland America claims that you did not submit your request correctly because you did not submit your request correctly. What did you do wrong? Submit too late? No documentation of ownership? Did they refuse to bend the rules for you?

This page has a link to the CCL shareholder benefit information: http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

To the OP, I am sure the problem is temporary

For everyone, if you have the time, you might become familiar with online, free, fax services. You can assemble the docs you need and merge them into one pdf document and then use a service like freefax.com or netzero fax (many more) which allows you to send your request, in fax form, right from your computer.

They did not elaborate on what was not done correctly, Just stated it was not done correctly". Sometimes they give it to you, sometimes they don't. My travel agent does it the same way each time. Go figure...

They assure the travel agent I will be getting the credit; but, it is always a surprise whether I do or don't.

They do not bend the rules. It is "tough luck".

The Shareholders Onboard Credit is a scam. They don't give it to you, even if you write to the president of HAL. They claim you don't submit it correctly. How can you not submit "correctly" if you send the required paperwork to the designated place in the instructions.??????? It is like SimonSays game.

Plus, they refuse to give it to you post-cruise. They cheat you out of it and then they still cheat you when you complain.

They say you will get it prior to your cruise when you check and ; surprise, when you are on the ship, it is not there. It does not show 9n any cruise documentation.

HAL lies.

You must be doing something really wrong. We have never had an issue claiming our shareholders OBC. We have claimed and received it for every cruise since purchasing the stock. I think it's at least 10 cruises now.

Maybe you need to do it correctly next time.

They did not elaborate on what was not done correctly, Just stated it was not done correctly". Sometimes they give it to you, sometimes they don't. My travel agent does it the same way each time. Go figure...

They assure the travel agent I will be getting the credit; but, it is always a surprise whether I do or don't.

They do not bend the rules. It is "tough luck".

If you are having intermittent success using your TA....then don't use your TA, do it yourself.

I have never used my TA...I have always done it myself, and have never failed.

HAL will not deal with individuals if they are using a travel agent. They tell you to have the travel agent contact them for you.

There have been instances where the travel agent was told by HAL I was getting the credit and it did not happen.

Be glad you get the credit when you want it. I am just telling you my experiences that it is a scam. You do it the same way many times and sometimes you get it sometimes you don't. All a whim of some clerk; but, sanctioned by the president of HAL. That is how they save money. So, therde is no reason to stop doing it.