Book with princess or travel agent ?

Mjkny

My wife and I cruise every year we've been using the same TA for years probably 16 or 17 years I've been reading reviews about travelers getting all kinds of discounts and OBC'S from booking directly with Princess I do get good service with my TA and that's important to me I don't get any special pricing or OBC I'll get a $25. Credit for booking sometimes a bottle of wine nothing to talk about just wondering how some of you seasoned travelers feel about booking. Thank You From a loyal Princess Elite Customer.

My wife and I cruise every year we've been using the same TA for years probably 16 or 17 years I've been reading reviews about travelers getting all kinds of discounts and OBC'S from booking directly with Princess I do get good service with my TA and that's important to me I don't get any special pricing or OBC I'll get a $25. Credit for booking sometimes a bottle of wine nothing to talk about just wondering how some of you seasoned travelers feel about booking. Thank You From a loyal Princess Elite Customer.

We use a very good TA.

We are afforded at least a 10% savings over booking direct with Princess.

If your TA is not discounting you need to find a new TA. IMO

Booking direct with Princess does not yield any discounts or additional OBC vs booking with a TA. Some say it is the other way around, depending upon the TA.

The common "Big Box" travel service gives some additional OBC when you book with them, but not a lot of personal service. We tried this, but I think I prefer the control over my own booking that is afforded by booking with Princess direct.

Don't know about other TAs, but likely, in order to offer discounts, they probably need to have a sizeable market share in the cruise industry, not just a small local one-off travel company.

Don

We used a local ta for many years...but since the late l990s, it was just as easy for us to book ourselves with so much info on the internet.... have found we can do often just as well. After 30 years of travel we know when we get a good deal.

Find when we book Princess launch fares, that means when cruises are first announced we get a very good price and sometimes a very good on board credit too. Booked a couple of Cunard cruises directly with Cunard, got the best on board credits we every got. Now that TAs charge for changing cruise bookings, we no longer work with a TA... we are in control of the booking and can change without any cancellation fees up to 120 day out. Just as easy to book, air and hotels and insurance.

Did meet a traveler on board who was very happy working with a ta that specializes in getting deals at the last minute... they were happy because the ta also found airline tickets for a good deal at the last minute. We are not last minute travelers and do not like booking with "groups" so we go it alone.

It's a preference.

Do you prefer to be in control of your booking or do you want to wait upon TA time schedule and availability for service?

I have previously stated I preferred control and ability to contact Princess directly when I had a question.

However, I recently used a TA that is pretty good and puts up with my constant checking for better prices. Have used her for 4 bookings now. First 2, I got nothing. The last 2, better price than Princess direct and lots of OBC.

I think at first she didn't think I'd stick around so why give me any perks but since I did, she makes it worth my while now, or at least she has on the last 2 cruises.

I don't like not being in control, but I price things with princess direct and use that number to look for price drops. Not my TA number.

If the price drops more than the princess number I compare it to my TA booking (considering OBC too) then I will call my TA if it's a better deal. Otherwise I leave it alone. Only once has the price dropped with the TA to make it worthwhile to refare.

I never really got anything special from booking princess direct, other than the ability to call during their business hours and inquire into a price drop I found.

Plus, You have to shop around for a good TA. So if you like the service, stick to yours. If you want to book direct, try it. If you want to shop around, you risk getting rid of a known commodity in your TA.

It's all a gamble. They all have their plus and minuses. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And good service is very important. Only you can decide if that service is worth not having a discount or added amenities.

On your next cruise, speak with fellow passengers (especially at the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet) and ask what travel agents they use and how good the service is and if they get discounts or extra benefits.

If you switch to a different TA, be sure it is one that does not charge to make changes to your booking or if you need to cancel your cruise.

Other than our first cruise I've booked myself. I have transferred to a TA afterward on most of the cruises. One time I transferred because the cruise was out of SF and the TA did pickup and transportation from Sacramento directly to the port and also handled all the luggage. Additionally there was a nice "party" in one port and daily gifts. We parked the car at a relative's house in Sacramento and saved 18 days parking fees. Had we driven to SF it would have been $14 per day for parking.

I will likely "pull back" the most recent transferred cruise though as the TA has gifted us $75 OBC and I can move the booking elsewhere and bump that up to over $900. I don't like to do it but, for that kind of difference in refundable OBC, it's strictly a business decision. We have another cruise booked with Princess that I will move when it's closer to final payment as that one should get $350 - $400 in refundable OBC. I just can't afford to turn up my nose at that.

The TA we have used in the past is really good in that he is responsive and keeps an eye out for us. Even if he is across the country and it's not a work day he gets my calls and returns them. That sort of attention and service makes me truly reluctant to "stiff" him on the commission but the additional OBC offered elsewhere just makes me unable to stay "loyal". It is, after all, a business decision and I have always (other than that first cruise) done the work of checking things out, making the booking, and watching for price drops.

If you do some homework there are places you can go to get TA to basically bid against each other to get you to book. They offer some very lucrative deals. I have used this my last 3 cruises and am very happy.

To make this successful you do have to do some research to see what the prices are currently at other places, and available cabins or suites and go from there. I have most Tuesdays off with everyone gone I like to spend some time doing my homework and go from there.

We currently have a cruise booked with excellent "goodies". I checked the Princess site for several weeks and liked the OBC offered. I have usually used a particular online agency because of the extra OBC they offer. But I still check other online TA's. This time another online TA offered free gratuities as well as the Princess OBC, and I was able to actually speak to an agent--so that did it for me. You just have to do your homework and know exactly what is included in the base Princess offer. The best offer over that is the deciding factor for me.

Now that TAs charge for changing cruise bookings, we no longer work with a TA... we are in control of the booking and can change without any cancellation fees up to 120 day out. Just as easy to book, air and hotels and insurance.

Mine does not charge neither did the one's I used previously.

Thanks to all I'm going on the Regal 2/19 and will book the next Cruise probably Hawaii then when I get home will start doing my homework lol thank you for sharing

Mjkny,

Come over and join the roll call for this cruise. I post a detailed list of everyone on the roll call. I will post the list one more time, so if you come over and introduce your selves I will include you on the final posting of the list. Would you like to attend one or both of our planned M&G’s? See the bottom of the roll call list for the M&G information.

Link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268944&page=26

Now that TAs charge for changing cruise bookings, we no longer work with a TA... we are in control of the booking and can change without any cancellation fees up to 120 day out. Just as easy to book, air and hotels and insurance.

Mine doesn't charge unless the cruise lines charge. Plenty out there who doesn't charge for cancellations or changes.

We routinely get 7-10% savings by using one (of several) of our favored cruise agencies. And trust me, that we have more "control" then we had in the past when we tried booking directly with a cruise line. While savings on shorter cruises might only total a few hundred dollars (per cruise) we have saved thousands of dollars on longer cruises.

Hank

Thanks to all I'm going on the Regal 2/19 and will book the next Cruise probably Hawaii then when I get home will start doing my homework lol thank you for sharing

Be sure to actually contact TAs directly and not just use website listings. Also compare bottom line cost, not just the cruise fare, as they may categorize your costs differently. It can fun hunting.

Mine doesn't charge unless the cruise lines charge. Plenty out there who doesn't charge for cancellations or changes.

Glad to hear some don't charge... the ones in my neighborhood do... very few agent as well. they also charge for air a fee... so I just do my self.

Glad to hear some don't charge... the ones in my neighborhood do... very few agent as well. they also charge for air a fee... so I just do my self.

I use an agent 25 hours away from me.

20 plus years ago I used a local agent. I don't think they had ever been on a cruise. She charged full price.

I was considering an all inclusive about 5-6 years ago and stopped by local automobile company to see what they offered. They had not been to any of the places they were recommending, they charged a booking fee plus cancellation fees and full prices on an all inclusive. I later found out my cruise agent has a good friend who specializes in all-inclusives.

All the agents where I live charge lots of fees it seems plus full prices.

I use an agent 25 hours away from me.

20 plus years ago I used a local agent. I don't think they had ever been on a cruise. She charged full price.

I was considering an all inclusive about 5-6 years ago and stopped by local automobile company to see what they offered. They had not been to any of the places they were recommending, they charged a booking fee plus cancellation fees and full prices on an all inclusive. I later found out my cruise agent has a good friend who specializes in all-inclusives.

All the agents where I live charge lots of fees it seems plus full prices.

Wow thats a long flight. Are they in India?

An on line ta will have much better prices by over $300.If you have the right one.

Recently booked a cruise to Alaska for July 2017. The internet travel site offered a better price and better savings than Princess directly ($350 OBC for 2passengers) and exact same room choice (coveted aft balcony cabin on caribe) room selection the same. We have cruised several times in the Med, found that using a TA didn't save anything. I think it depends on how comfortable one is using the internet for search and booking

Recently booked a cruise to Alaska for July 2017. The internet travel site offered a better price and better savings than Princess directly ($350 OBC for 2passengers) and exact same room choice (coveted aft balcony cabin on caribe) room selection the same. We have cruised several times in the Med, found that using a TA didn't save anything. I think it depends on how comfortable one is using the internet for search and booking

Regardless of where we sail we always save using a TA, even in the Med. ;)

No searching necessary.

My TA discounts the same, regardless where in the world we sail.

I either email or call the TA. Princess doesn't allow travel agents to advertise discounted rates. You really need to get quotes from them to see the discounts.