Queen's Grill dress code.

majortom10

• 6 years later...

This really doesn’t apply, but I wanted to comment anyhow. On the 4 crossings I did on the QE2 in the 80s, 90s and the very early 2000s, the Queen’s Grill was ALWAYS formal except for the first and last night. This made it very simple for men as you’d just take a tuxedo or 2 and 4 formal shirts and accessories. No thinking and everyone looked spectacular. A crossing was only 5 days during those years. Beautiful memories. 

• Like 1

Indeed. And so simple, too. No angst or confusion. In Grill or First, you wore formal dress and in Tourist, it was "semi formal" or cocktail wear i.e. dark suit for gents, cocktail dress for ladies. You just did. No discussion or debate, "negotiating" or wriggling.  Today, even the mere mention of a "dress code" sends people into a frenzy and Cunard makes it worse with their tortured explanations even photos of models showing you what they mean (can you imagine that just 20 years ago) and silly added layers of "themed" nights etc. 

As for the days of proper five-day crossings... well, sigh..... wasn't that just perfect? That and the Boat Train right into the Ocean Terminal.  You checked your luggage right at Waterloo before entraining and the next time you saw it, it was in your cabin. On the "other side", you docked four blocks from Pennsylvania Station and the heart of Manhattan.

What do they call it? Progress?

• Like 3

Since 2008 the dress standards on Cunard have dumbed down. I'm not going to let that bother me. Since 1973 we have travelled in all restaurant "classes" at least three times each and I have never gone to dinner without a jacket and tie. That is my choice and I don't care what others wear.

We are currently on the QE and enjoying QG for the first time on this ship. The one formal night we have had in a week was a glittering affair, apparently not just in the Grills.  On other nights, most men in QG are wearing a jacket and a small number a tie. Most women are dressed more formally than the men on the smart nights. Many are in long dresses. Some men in QG are dressed like slobs. Sorry, but that's the only way to describe it.

As I said, I will not let the lowering of standards impact my enjoyment of Cunard no matter which of the four restaurants we dine in.  

Edited by david,Mississauga
  • Like 2

Yes it is true that dress standard have slipped - but those who dress with no smart shirts, no evening dresses, and without jackets, are still a minority - all the voyages we have done, including those this year, the majority of men, and women, have made even normal Smart Attire evenings in the dining room, ballroom, and Commodore Club, elegant and a nice atmosphere. Sure a few choose not to dress for the occasion, but it does not seem to change the way that most of us like to keep to the traditions of a classy evening atmosphere in convivial surroundings, where most of the others around us do the same.

Edited by ballroom-cruisers
add word
  • Like 1

A deep dive to find a 2017 thread.  

The fact of the matter is that dress codes have relaxed almost everywhere:  cruise lines, businesses, airplane travel, country clubs, social events, etc.

It's probably a losing battle.  But one I am willing to fight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A new battle may be about to be joined. I have just read an article in The Daily Telegraph, of all places, about whether it is OK to come to breakfast in your night things. I don’t think the Cunard dress code covers this.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

A new battle may be about to be joined. I have just read an article in The Daily Telegraph, of all places, about whether it is OK to come to breakfast in your night things. I don’t think the Cunard dress code covers this.

I don't think I would be allowed anywhere for breakfast if I was wearing what I wear in bed at night 😅😅

• Haha 2

You never know. And think of the air conditioning. In fact the writer of the article was wearing his girlfriend’s garments as his luggage had been left at Heathrow, and he was bemused by the fact the nobody commented on that, while several objected to his wearing nightwear.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

You never know. And think of the air conditioning. In fact the writer of the article was wearing his girlfriend’s garments as his luggage had been left at Heathrow, and he was bemused by the fact the nobody commented on that, while several objected to his wearing nightwear.

Do you have a link?

I can't find it. Was it a skimpy babydoll? 🤣🤣

7 minutes ago, D&N said:

Do you have a link?

I can't find it. Was it a skimpy babydoll? 🤣🤣

No, I’m sorry. I read it in the print version, which we only get on Saturdays (honest). And I can’t find it on line.

20 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

No, I’m sorry. I read it in the print version, which we only get on Saturdays (honest). And I can’t find it on line.

You're sorry it wasn't a skimpy babydoll? 😀

A search suggests the discussion has been kicking about in various forms for at least 5 years.

At home, I'll eat breakfast in my dressing gown if I'm going to dress for the gym as soon as I've digested the food.

In public I generally only take breakfast dressed in a collared shirt plus of course all other garments required to preserve modesty.

And I always take enough clothing in hand luggage in case checked bags go astray.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, exlondoner said:

... whether it is OK to come to breakfast in your night things.

I once saw a couple turn up to breakfast on Sagafjord in their night things. Him in dinner suit with tie undone, her in full length gown with heels in hand. But I suspect this isn't what you meant? 😄

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I once saw a couple turn up to breakfast on Sagafjord in their night things. Him in dinner suit with tie undone, her in full length gown with heels in hand. But I suspect this isn't what you meant? 😄

No, it’s not, but anyway I do hope they had a good time. 🙂

Edited by exlondoner

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Like the Walk of Shame??