Formal Night

camper49

Outside of the Lobster/Beef Wellington on the last formal night, we thought Horizon's on the Regal had some pretty nice choices. Much better than the Eclipse offers. Both MDR's are pretty close. The Eclipse MDR food this year was a major let down. Still booked it next Jan. for the itinerary, however.

Both the Regal & Royal do have good selection on all nights compared to the other ships but the Regal 7 day cruises are just to short for us.

I do have to say that my husband did get turned away from the dining room in the second formal night (Regal) for not wearing a jacket! We were shocked, as we had seen (we thought) several without jackets on the first formal night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do have to say that my husband did get turned away from the dining room in the second formal night (Regal) for not wearing a jacket! We were shocked, as we had seen (we thought) several without jackets on the first formal night.

sometimes they seem to have less enforcement on the first night. Do try to remember if the staff the second time were the same as the first. Some seem to be more for enforcing than others.

Both the Regal & Royal do have good selection on all nights compared to the other ships but the Regal 7 day cruises are just to short for us.

Have you tried the 14 day B2B? We did it last year. I'll admit we didn't care for the return to Florida after the first week, but figure if we do it again, perhaps we'll take an excursion. Of course Richard would like that excursion to be shopping in Bal Harbor LOL!

Could be the decision of the Maitre D'. There is no consistency sometimes.

Hmmm...my husband will be wearing Dockers or dark colored dress slacks, long sleeved shirt and a nice sweater over that. Maybe I'll sneak a tie in his suitcase. I don't think he owns a dress jacket. I hope he doesn't get turned away!

Probably won't get turned away, but for the record, Dockers and a sweater is smart casual, not formal. Any thrift store will sell you decent lightweight sport coat for ten or fifteen bucks.

Have you tried the 14 day B2B? We did it last year. I'll admit we didn't care for the return to Florida after the first week, but figure if we do it again, perhaps we'll take an excursion. Of course Richard would like that excursion to be shopping in Bal Harbor LOL!

I hate turn around days in Ft Lauderdale. They're a complete waste of time for us. Besides having to wait till some people show up for imaginations, the morning is shot waiting around and by the time you get back on the ship it's lunch time. :mad:

Hmmm...my husband will be wearing Dockers or dark colored dress slacks, long sleeved shirt and a nice sweater over that. Maybe I'll sneak a tie in his suitcase. I don't think he owns a dress jacket. I hope he doesn't get turned away! 😳

He won't. There is no need to go out and buy items that you would not otherwise wear.

Maybe I'll sneak a tie in his suitcase. 😳

My wife did that once to me about 15 years ago.

I threw it in the stewards trash when I spotted it. When she asked about it I just played dumb & she thought it was left at home. :D

Those were the days when almost everyone dressed for the dining room.

btw- it was the last remaining tie I had in my closet.

Outside of the Lobster/Beef Wellington on the last formal night, we thought Horizon's on the Regal had some pretty nice choices. Much better than the Eclipse offers. Both MDR's are pretty close. The Eclipse MDR food this year was a major let down. Still booked it next Jan. for the itinerary, however.
We have found that beef Wellington is always served in the Horizon Court when it is served in the MDR

Hmmm...my husband will be wearing Dockers or dark colored dress slacks, long sleeved shirt and a nice sweater over that. Maybe I'll sneak a tie in his suitcase. I don't think he owns a dress jacket. I hope he doesn't get turned away! 😳

I have been wearing khaki dockers and a long sleeved shirt without a tie to formal night for quite a few years now and have never even received a second glance. Your DH will be perfectly fine wearing that to the MDR.

I do have to say that my husband did get turned away from the dining room in the second formal night (Regal) for not wearing a jacket! We were shocked, as we had seen (we thought) several without jackets on the first formal night. I just switched from wearing the long sleeve shirt for the guayabera (much more comfortable) this past year and have worn it on every 2016 cruise.

Interesting. I was on the Regal last February and I wore a pair of dockers and a guayabera shirt to the MDR for the two formal nights. We did eat dinner in the ATD MDR if that makes a difference. Last fall on the Caribbean P we ate in the fixed MDR and again I wore the same thing without any problem.

We are doing a B2B out of Port Everglades next month and this time we are taking a ship excursion during the turn around time. I agree that staying on the ship and getting to waste a morning is awful.

Yes, for the umpteenth time, the dress code is not strictly enforced.

And also yes, in my experience at least, the vast majority of men in the MDR will be dressed to code. On the Grand last month, I purposely did a walk-around at late Traditional and there were few men without jackets, even fewer without ties. Just a fact.

Since it's usually chilly in the dining room, I often wear a sweater or jacket anyway. I have, actually, no idea why a simple sports coat causes fear and loathing among a subgroup of men. (I also have no idea why some men think that wearing a baseball cap while dining at the equivalent of a nice restaurant is acceptable. But that's another story.)

I agree on the baseball caps....not appropriate in the dining room or any restaurant.

I hate turn around days in Ft Lauderdale. They're a complete waste of time for us. Besides having to wait till some people show up for imaginations, the morning is shot waiting around and by the time you get back on the ship it's lunch time. :mad:

I call it a "lost" day. If we choose one again we'll at least try to book a "in transit" excursion. The thing I didn't like about the second week was the fact that the menu completely repeated. I would have thought if you were going to a totally different local, you'd get a new menu. We did 2 times in Sabatini's & a second time in Crown Grill.