One parent traveling with a child ?

Ashland

Does RCI provide a form when only one parent is going to be cruising with their child ? Mommy now can't go due to a pregnancy, so Daddy is still going to cruise with their toddler and the rest of the extended family to the eastern caribbean. If not, anywhere we can download one to fill out and notarize.

Not sure if they have a form to download, but you just need a signed and notarized document from your wife stating dates of the cruise, the ship, where you are going and that she is aware you are taking the child out of the country. It also needs to state you are able to make all medical decisions for the child.

Some people may tell you that you don't need it, but I was asked by Disney, Royal Caribbean and Customs to produce a document for my granddaughter.

I would rather be safe than sorry.....

Does RCI provide a form when only one parent is going to be cruising with their child ? Mommy now can't go due to a pregnancy, so Daddy is still going to cruise with their toddler and the rest of the extended family to the eastern caribbean. If not, anywhere we can download one to fill out and notarize.

You don't need any type of letter or form if you are the parent. I have taken my granddaughter without her parent & needed a notarized letter. Last April I sailed with my other son & his daughter. He needed nothing except her birth certificate. He didn't need a letter or form from her mother. You can call RCCL or check their website.

They may never ask for it (especially on a cruise), but I believe the reason it is technically required is to try to prevent situations where one parent "kidnaps" their child to take them to live in another country.

You don't need any type of letter or form if you are the parent. I have taken my granddaughter without her parent & needed a notarized letter. Last April I sailed with my other son & his daughter. He needed nothing except her birth certificate. He didn't need a letter or form from her mother. You can call RCCL or check their website.

Thanks...I just thought he had to have a notarized letter from Mommy...our toddler (age 3) has a passport.

Wow, shockingly uninformed advice. NO ONE should take this advice.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Thanks...I just thought he had to have a notarized letter from Mommy...our toddler (age 3) has a passport.

Of course you should have a notarized letter. No one knows if there is contentious issues between mother and father, and while RCI may not care, if CBP decides to ask questions and you don't have a letter you may be delayed while the ship sails on.

Of course you should have a notarized letter. No one knows if there is contentious issues between mother and father, and while RCI may not care, if CBP decides to ask questions and you don't have a letter you may be delayed while the ship sails on.

I agree completely...I just thought there might be an easy form to down load somewhere and then have it notarized.

Yes, you need to take a notarized letter like the one on the CBP web site. Why risk it? You may not need it but you may. We had one for a cruise that ended in Canada. On entering Canada, we were not asked for the letter but the people next to us were. I do not know what happened as it was going on for a long time with Canadian BP.

I agree completely...I just thought there might be an easy form to down load somewhere and then have it notarized.

Yes there is a RCCL one. It's for Australia but you can just white out where it says Australia and customize it.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/content/en_OC_reg/pdf/minors_consent_form.pdf

Or you can fill it out online and download or print it from

https://www.pdffiller.com/jsfiller/?projectId=96669553#61cc86d1f82441308c3524bf21c2bfaa. It has text tools and an erase tool so you can erase Australia.

I replaced Australia with name and date of return to port and also added ports of call: "Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA, is November 24, 2016, following scheduled ports in Cozumel and Costa Mayo, Mexico and/or any unscheduled port stops."

We have a 16 year old grandson we've raised from birth. We don't need anything for him. BUT we have another 16 year old grandson through a daughter's marriage 3 years ago. We've used this form each time when we took him on our last two cruises, getting it signed and notarized about a month before each cruise. His first cruise they asked for it and made a copy. Last year they didn't even ask but I had a new one with me if needed.

~ Judy

You definitely want to have a notarized letter. In addition to this, I had a copy of my husband's passport on sailings I've done with my son where he couldn't go. In addition, I took my son's birth certificate which clearly linked him to his father, the letter, and the copy of the passport.

On cruises I've done out of Long Beach without my husband, no one batted an eye, but I was happy to have the docs.

On a cruise I did out of Southampton, England without my husband, they almost didn't allow me to board because my letter was not notarized. They analyzed and copied every single document and told me I would've been denied boarding had I not also brought the copy of the passport and birth certificate.

Yes, this is overkill and the chances you'll need them are slim. But being denied a cruise (without a refund) would be a nightmare! I now keep these docs clipped in the back of my children's and my passports...

*Also note: if there has been a recent case of child trafficking, or a tip as such, they may be unexpectedly strict and require docs*

Just have them grab a generic travel consent online and copy it. My husband often does not travel with my children and I because of his job, and I always do a quick travel consent form before we go and get it notarized. In my 14 years of motherhood I have only been asked for it once (by border patrol entering the US from Mexico), but I will always do it because I don't want to worry about the what ifs. Simple fix.

Sent from my Macberry Seven using Forums

Just have them grab a generic travel consent online and copy it. My husband often does not travel with my children and I because of his job, and I always do a quick travel consent form before we go and get it notarized. In my 14 years of motherhood I have only been asked for it once (by border patrol entering the US from Mexico), but I will always do it because I don't want to worry about the what ifs. Simple fix.

Sent from my Macberry Seven using Forums

I agree. I travel frequently with my show cats. Airlines require a health certificate issued within ten days and a rabies certificate. This is also required to drive into (and out of) Canada. Airlines, I've been asked maybe a half dozen times in thirty years. Last year, the Canadian border guard went over the documents with a fine tooth comb - this year (after I had paid through the nose to get the necessary documents), he didn't ask. "Don't you want to see their documents?" - "Are they up to date?" - "Yes" - "OK, then, you're good." Would I ever travel without them? No way. It would only take that one time when I was denied boarding a flight or held at the border - so not worth it.

That "shockingly uninformed advice" was technically correct, even according to your own reference....

That said, it's still not a bad idea to have a letter of consent and have it notarized.

Sample is available from the State department: https://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-acs/sample_letter_of_consent_to_travel.pdf

That "shockingly uninformed advice" was technically correct, even according to your own reference....

That said, it's still not a bad idea to have a letter of consent and have it notarized.

Sample is available from the State department: https://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-acs/sample_letter_of_consent_to_travel.pdf

Yes. The "shockingly uninformed advice" is correct! Check with RCCL.

Wow, shockingly uninformed advice. NO ONE should take this advice.

Uninformed advice?

We just cruised 3 months ago with another family.

Well a divorced mother and 3 kids.

No letter, form or any other type of consent from the father.

No questions asked.......

i have taken my son on several cruises without his mom , this is great advice i always take one in case, never needed it as his last name is same as mine and no issues however id hate to be denied boarding for something so easy and free to do. my bank notarized it for free.

Royal's website specifically states that only one parent need to be present. There is no need for a form unless the child is traveling without at least one parent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thats RCI rules not customs and border patrol rules for travel 1 parent with a minor.

I agree. I travel frequently with my show cats. Airlines require a health certificate issued within ten days and a rabies certificate. This is also required to drive into (and out of) Canada. Airlines, I've been asked maybe a half dozen times in thirty years. Last year, the Canadian border guard went over the documents with a fine tooth comb - this year (after I had paid through the nose to get the necessary documents), he didn't ask. "Don't you want to see their documents?" - "Are they up to date?" - "Yes" - "OK, then, you're good." Would I ever travel without them? No way. It would only take that one time when I was denied boarding a flight or held at the border - so not worth it.

Thanks for your input but I'm a bit confused "show cats" the topic is "children"

Thanks for your input but I'm a bit confused "show cats" the topic is "children"

The point was you should always have any documentation required, it's better to prepared and not need the documents than have your travel prevented because you don't have the documents.

My children and I took a Carnival Cruise from the Port of NY to the Bahamas without my husband. I was asked for the document by CBP. My sister who was traveling with her 9 month old daughter and without her husband was not asked by the same agent. (She went first)

People can post here that they travel frequently and were never asked, but that doesn't mean that YOU absolutely won't be asked. If you happen to be the 1:1000 person that does get randomly asked, and you have the document, you'll be glad that you didn't listen to those who say it's not needed.