Weather end of August Rhine and Moselle

amd1234

We are booked for August 23 Uniworld(third cruise with Uniworld), Rhine and Moselle itinerary .. This was an exceptional deal but we had only a few choices of dates August and November! We chose August. We usually cruise the beginning of June and September. Will the end of August be very warm? We are repeating the Rhine having cruised the Castles on the Rhine a few years ago on the SS Antoinette. Beautiful ship great trip. We were interested in cruising the Moselle. Love Uniworld and this is an older ship but received some good reviews. Thx. Appreciate feedback on ship and itinerary...

Am sure that Notamermaid will chime in on this one, but it can be very hot in August--in the 90's. Still should be a wonderful trip. We have been greeted with frozen towels, cold drinks and even ice cream on returning from excursions. Pat

Yikes! Didn't realize that it could get that warm... I am not good in the heat. Maybe November would have been a better option! It's the end of August first week of September. We went to Paris & Normandy two years ago first week in September and the mornings were very chilly... I had to shop for a fleece jacket ..

Hello amd1234 and pacmom,

it can indeed get hot in August, the highest recorded is around 40 degrees. I had a look at 2015 and 2016. Both had very hot days in the third week of August, with the end of August anything between 24 and 32 degrees. Quite hot, but it will not necessarily be this hot this year. If we get some colder days with rain it can be a little chilly in the morning with 20 degrees in the afternoon. Beginning of September has been known to give us temperatures of 25 degrees and over, but over 30 is definitely not standard!

Here is a diagramme for Koblenz min. and max. temperatures throughout the year (statistics collected over seeveral years): http://www.wetteronline.de/klima-temperatur/koblenz sorry, quite a few ads on the site.

November is usually chilly with the first bit of snow in the hills, a better month if you do not get cold easily but the landscape becomes uninviting in the rain.

The hot temperatures are relatively easy to bear on the river I find, but towns can get stuffy and that walk up to Marksburg castle can be very exhausting. If Uniworld offers this, did not look it up.

I am sure Uniworld will do their best to keep you feeling pleasant throughout your cruise. Have a great time on the Rhine and Moselle.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

If translating from Celsius is a problem for you [it is for me!], you can find historical daily weather charts at https://www.wunderground.com/history/

Quick, close enough . . . Double centigrade add 30

30C = 90F

If you need to be precise . . . (C x 9/5) + 32

30C x 9/5 = 54

54 + 32 = 86F

Higher temperatures will be more inaccurate using the quick and dirty method . . . I usually decrease the estimate by a few degrees, a tenth of the C temperature. 3 degrees in this example.

We did the Rhine last September.... the 1st week. The weather was PERFECT for cruising. We had almost no rain. Our biggest issue was the 2nd week when we did a driving holiday. We had not worried about air conditioning in the hotels we booked, and it was pretty warm some nights.

You have air on the boat - and there is always a breeze when the boat is moving!! I am sure you will enjoy it...

Fran

Quick, close enough . . . Double centigrade add 30

30C = 90F

If you need to be precise . . . (C x 9/5) + 32

30C x 9/5 = 54

54 + 32 = 86F

Higher temperatures will be more inaccurate using the quick and dirty method . . . I usually decrease the estimate by a few degrees, a tenth of the C temperature. 3 degrees in this example.

My favorite way is to figure 18 F for every 10C and add 32. Hence: 30C is 3x18=54 +32 is 86. On this system, 5 C is 9. So 25 C would be 2 x 18 = 36 + 9 = 45 + 32 = 77. It sounds complicated, but when you get used to it, it's pretty easy. For less than 5 degree units, double the Farenheit. Admittedly it is harder to work backwards, as you need to do to set your cabin thermostat! But then you can experiment with the Celsius numbers that show up.

Once you know a few benchmarks you are done. 15 celsius in the spring I might be in shirtsleeves, but more likely still with a light fleece. I don't like heat, so 20 is lovely, and 25 is starting to get hot. 30 is hot and anything over that I really don't like.