Golden princess lost our bag..Now what?

osteocyte

We disembarked the golden princess in Melbourne on the 13th Feb 2017. We put out our two suitcases the night before as instructed and only one was there for us at the luggage collection point. We filled out a missing and damaged luggage report. We were rushed off on the princess shuttle to the airport with two other couples who also lost their luggage. I have rung princess cruises and have a referral number to use but they have not yet phoned or emailed me. You would think it should be found by now. I want to know the best way to handle this. My bag had all sorts of stuff in it and it's going to be such a hassle to replace. Has anyone ever had their bag returned to them?

Just a thought but it may take a while if another passenger picked it up by accident and they do not notice it until they get home (which might be a day or two) and try to open the suitcase which might be another day or two (as I've been known to do). I hope that is what happened and you get reunited with your luggage soon!

Something similar happened to me when disembarking in FLL, I learned that the color coded luggage tags do come off the luggage from time to time. We spent about 20 minutes searching through all of the color coded cases, nobody offered any assistance other than telling us to file a report. Then one porter came forward and told me that there were numerous pieces without tags in a separate area and showed me the pile. Sure enough, there was our "missing" suit case. Nice tip to the porter and a snarky comment to the Princess rep who told me to file a report.One more reason to either walk off with our own luggage or attach multiple color coded tags hoping at least one stays securely on the suit case.

Darcy

I had two bad experiences on disembarkation in the past.Now I am highly suspicious and usually a Princess person helps me to locate.

First time looked and looked but could not find,others looked also.Then I spotted a person with low trolley with eight pieces of luggage stacked up.One was mine.I said' Hey that's mine 'She replied she was just tidying the area up.I had previously been looking everywhere for about 30 minutes.

Second occasion could not find.Then I spotted a family leaving .One member a boy walking behind parents and other sibling aged around 8 years was dragging my luggage.Again' I shouted that my luggage' the parents did not even look around boy continued to exit.I confronted him and he said this was his because there was a smiley tag on it then I replied but see also this big hard plastic tag with a bunch of poodles on it and a ribbon?He released to me.After those two occurrences I always insist Princess helps .

SO EVERYONE TAKE CARE WITH YOUR LUGGAGE ON DISEMBARKATION.:cool:

I ask for an additional tag and put two on my luggage: one on top and one on the side.

I do the same. Always use two tags on each bag during both arriving and leaving.

Good ideas; must do that in future.

Another thought, check for piles with a similar colour to your tags first. We had that happen with another line in Singapore. They don't check staff for colour blindness!!

I ask for an additional tag and put two on my luggage: one on top and one on the side.

Thanks Pam for the 2 tag advice. On an Alaska cruise, my mother in law's luggage was "misplaced." We almost missed our flight home after looking for an hour. The tag had been ripped off.

My DIL also experienced a "missing" luggage in FLL. While the Princess rep was logging her luggage description after a long search, a passenger returned to the luggage area with my DIL's luggage that she has mistakenly taken and only noticed while loading in their car.

My friend's suitcase was abandoned in the parking terminal by someone who must have realized that it wasn't theirs. Instead of bringing it back they left it behind another car. My friend got it about a week later, which was a nice surprise for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We now use the ribbon method. I found a 1 inch wide very bright, odd patterned, grosgrain ribbon to attach to each bag. Tied in knots with a tail of about 6 inches seems to do the trick. That along with name tags. . .

I am sorry to hear about your suitcase. From experience, do keep records of your calls, time, dates, and who you talked with each time. I just had an issue and after two days of calls (6 for about 4 hours of my time) got my issue taken care of. Yes, a suitcase will take time to locate, but keep on them and I am sure you will have your suitcase back soon or satisfaction.

Thanks for the replies. The suitcase had several distinctive markers. A big red band with initials on it. Several tags on the handle. I did this because it was black and borrowed. 2 of us did a systematic search of all the luggage in the area as well as the lost tag section. As well as three different staff members. We did suspect that a trolley of luggage with the same disembark code was misplaced. I am really looking for advice on how to approach princess about this or my insurance company. Instead of waiting several weeks and then acting on it. I just want to be prepared.

Thanks for the replies. The suitcase had several distinctive markers. A big red band with initials on it. Several tags on the handle. I did this because it was black and borrowed. 2 of us did a systematic search of all the luggage in the area as well as the lost tag section. As well as three different staff members. We did suspect that a trolley of luggage with the same disembark code was misplaced. I am really looking for advice on how to approach princess about this or my insurance company. Instead of waiting several weeks and then acting on it. I just want to be prepared.

You will need a list of each item and cost (receipts if possible). If you have insurance through Princess, it will cover up to $1500 (standard policy or $3000 (platinum policy), if you do not have insurance I recall that the max payout by Princess is $300.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

If your luggage has been missing for 10 days or less and:

You were in Anchorage on embarkation, disembarkation or a cruise tour; please call (907)-550-7711

You were in Vancouver on embarkation, disembarkation or a cruise tour; please call 1-800-297-8977

You were on a Caribbean cruise; please call 1-800-406-1345

You were in Seattle on embarkation, disembarkation; please call 206-336-5824

If you were in any other location; please call 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237) ext.22089

If your luggage has been missing for more than 10 days:

Please call 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237) ext.22089 to file a claim

You will need a list of each item and cost (receipts if possible). If you have insurance through Princess, it will cover up to $1500 (standard policy or $3000 (platinum policy), if you do not have insurance I recall that the max payout by Princess is $300.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

If your luggage has been missing for 10 days or less and:

You were in Anchorage on embarkation, disembarkation or a cruise tour; please call (907)-550-7711

You were in Vancouver on embarkation, disembarkation or a cruise tour; please call 1-800-297-8977

You were on a Caribbean cruise; please call 1-800-406-1345

You were in Seattle on embarkation, disembarkation; please call 206-336-5824

If you were in any other location; please call 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237) ext.22089

If your luggage has been missing for more than 10 days:

Please call 1-800-PRINCESS (1-800-774-6237) ext.22089 to file a claim

Does this information apply worldwide? If so what about people in the rest of the word; how do they connect to the USA/Canada free 1 800 # ??

I have never experienced an issue with luggage. We rarely sail out of FLL and mostly sail from SFO and Los Angeles.

We are cruising from FLL soon and now I'm worried. I guess we will mark our bags and put multiple tags, as Pam suggested.

That is terrible when you lose a bag. :( I had one go permanently missing when I traveled to Europe in 1991. Other than that, I've been lucky. Knock on wood!!

I just went and purchase ribbon! :) Thanks for the tip

Edited by jennybenny

We disembarked the golden princess in Melbourne on the 13th Feb 2017. We put out our two suitcases the night before as instructed and only one was there for us at the luggage collection point. We filled out a missing and damaged luggage report. We were rushed off on the princess shuttle to the airport with two other couples who also lost their luggage. I have rung princess cruises and have a referral number to use but they have not yet phoned or emailed me. You would think it should be found by now. I want to know the best way to handle this. My bag had all sorts of stuff in it and it's going to be such a hassle to replace. Has anyone ever had their bag returned to them?

Sometimes you get it back.

My latest luggage purchase was a lightweight case, getting older and find they are easier to manage. After careful consideration I bought the bright orange one.

After four trips with it, cruises, land tours, air, best thing I have ever done. Can spot it anywhere. My daughter got into the swing of it and bought a bright pink hard case.

We stand out in the airports lol

Good luck with getting your bag back. Years ago someone walked off with daughters black case, she spotted tags, chased them down and got it back

Edited by Gwendy
More info

I read somewhere to take a photograph of your luggage. Don't know if that would help, but I guess it couldn't hurt.

That's excellent advice. Last month on our Rio to Houston to Fort Lauderdale flights one of our 3 suitcases didn't make it from Houston (we had seen it going through customs) to Fort Lauderdale and the first thing the lost luggage employee asked was did we have a picture? They would attach it to the file to make it easier to identify the suitcase along with any other identifying marks (we have a stretchy, curly shoelace on each of our suitcases in addition to a luggage tag on the outside and a printed itinerary on the inside). Checking the computer he said it was on a flight right then arriving in a couple of hours. It wasn't but we did get notification about 11 hours after we arrived that the suitcase had arrived and it was delivered the next day.

Does this information apply worldwide? If so what about people in the rest of the word; how do they connect to the USA/Canada free 1 800 # ??

This is from the US web site. Might be other numbers listed on other country web sites.