Is it worth it or not?

I have been eye balling a 14 day cruise to Alaska. aboard the Carnival Splendor. I have done a mock booking and when all is said and done the total cruise amount is $6,623.10 for two. This would come out to around $473 pp per night. I also have been looking at RCCL (we think RCCL is a couple steps ahead of Carnival). However there is only one cruise that starts and finishes in the same port :(, and this is aboard the Explorer of the Seas. Also this cruise is only 7 days and comes out to $4,946.60 for two which means its around $707 pp per day:(. So what do you guys think, is it worth it or not to do the 14 day sailing?

I would absolutely go on Carnival. You never know, you might like it. You might also want to check out Holland America. I got a great deal last minute with them and they do a wonderful job with the Alaskan cruises.

I'm not a huge fan of Carnival, but it's been years since I've gone on one of their ships and I have friends who say they've really stepped up their game. If you can afford the time away, I think, a longer cruise is always better. Even if you don't look at the price, you've gone to all the trouble of packing, traveling, etc. just to get to the cruise. The first and last days are spent unpacking and packing (a lot of the time). So, the longer cruise typically works out to be more economical and more relaxing since you have more time to acclimate. There are some people who take cruises that last for months, but after 14 days we're ready to go home to our dog and grand kids so that is about the perfect amount of time.

Then there's the price. I prefer RCI, but they almost never have long cruises unless you do back to back and that's not that appealing (or cost effective) in Alaska. I'd definitely think a lot about the Splendor cruise. It sounds like a great deal.

Tom

With that duration and cost you're likely to get a much more refined crowd than what Carnival is normally portrayed with. With other costs associated with travel to and from Carnival looks like the better deal.

For Alaska I'd consider all cruise lines that go when you can; itinerary and cost are likely more important than what logo is on the side.

The only thing with HAL is that the average age of the people on board is deceased. If you think RCCL in the off season has an old crown, you ain't seen nothing till you've cruised on HAL. The Newlywed game, most of the time the couples are in their 40's.

Carnival will almost assuredly have a different demographic on a 14 day Alaskan cruise. It would likely be pleasant. I haven't been on carnival in a looong time, but would definitely go with the 14 day. I love RCI, but not enough in this situation.

Neither. Princess B2B out of Vancouver (especially on Coral or Island). You will get two trips into Glacier Bay, one to Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm and the chance to take the 26 glacier cruise on turnaround day in Whittier. Did it last fall.

the total cruise amount is $6,623.10 for two. This would come out to around $473 pp per night.

I can not believe nobody called me out on this...LoL:D. However it would be $473 per night per couple. I posted this on the Carnival board also and got called out 10mins (tops) on my math.