cubes

TheCalicoCat

It really depends on the person. I like them for things like underclothes, socks, pajamas. These are items that can be rolled easily and the cubes really help keep them together. If you currently roll all your clothes, you will probably like them for everything.

Ā 

I would start out with a set that has a few small and medium sized cubes, and then see what you think. Amazon has a zillion colors and styles available.

We have several of the ebags.com three piece sets, small, medium and large cubes. Also have the slim cubes.

We find the large cubes awkward to pack, prefer using a folder for DH's pants and shirts.

I use the small for lingerie & bathing suits (I don't even unpack it, just pop the cube in the drawer. The medium for casual pants (capris, shorts) & another medium for casual casual tops. I've stopped using the really large bags. I got mine at Ross or TJMaxx under $15 pack of 3. DH doesn't like them at all, but he is a truly master packer that never has a wrinkle & he folds, not rolls.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use the small for lingerie & bathing suits (I don't even unpack it, just pop the cube in the drawer. The medium for casual pants (capris, shorts) & another medium for casual casual tops. I've stopped using the really large bags. I got mine at Ross or TJMaxx under $15 pack of 3. DH doesn't like them at all, but he is a truly master packer that never has a wrinkle & he folds, not rolls.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks again - I am officially crap at packing, which is why I am willing to try cubes. (I saw someone show them in a cruise cabin "closet" on the shelves & it finally made sense to me.)

Ā 

I'm getting an unlimited laundry package, so how to put it back while on the cruise may become a new "thing" to deal with...

I swear by the Tumi folding pack. I think eBags has a similar product if you'd prefer a cheaper version without the Tumi logo and markup.

Ā 

For a 4 day trip I do two folding packs (one for shirts and slacks, one for gym/athletic clothes and swimsuits), two small packing cubes (underwear and socks), a medium packing cube (shorts and shirts), a tie case, a special holder for my suit, and my toiletry bag, shoes, and belt separate. All of that fits snugly in a rolling carry-on suitcase. For longer trips I expand to a larger toiletry bag, 3 folding packs, 4 small cubes, and 3 medium packing cubes, and it all fits neatly in my Tumi rolling duffel (I'm a touch obsessed with them).

Ā 

The real perk is being able to unpack everything easily on Day 1. I hate living out of my suitcase. Also, it's a lot easier to know how much will fit in my suitcase when I separate it into packing cubes. I don't use the large packing cubes because they don't always fit in dresser drawers. On the last night, the dirty laundry squeezes back into my bags.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have several sets of the ebags brand packing cubes. I've found that the large size is essentially useless for my needs (although it does fit perfectly into my 22" carryon). I think the medium size is most practical and I really like the slim bags. Not only do I use the cubes for clothing but I also use them for small, portable electronics (think ipod, ereader, assorted chargers).

Alaska cruise esp., you can also use compression bags for bulky items like warm jackets/sweaters/fleeces. I love my cubes, but for winter ski vacations I also use the compression bags. Place the items in, put on the floor and roll over them with your body to get all the air out. Just remember although it makes them less bulky, they still weigh the same -- darn. I've found them in the closet area of Target.

I used them for the first time on my last cruise. I tend to be a very efficient packer in general and I think they actually reduced the amount I was able to fit in my suitecases. HOWEVER, they kept me much much more organized! Very helpful when you are packing both warmer and lighter clothes, or you will be spending some days pre or post cruise and you don't want to totally unpack.

Ā 

I used 2 of the large, 3 med and small, and 2 of the slim. The larges fit in my checked bag (24" hard side) with minimal room for shoes and smaller items packed around them

I just came off a 7-day land trip to Cancun for my niece's wedding and I used several of the cubes. I love, love, love them! For the first time I used one of the big ones and rolled my pants and Capris into them. Worked out great! There was nothing in my suitcase but cubes. There was nothing loose in there at all. Worked beautifully! I just pull out a cube, unzip it, place the top of the bag under the bottom of the bag and in the drawer or shelf it went. Everything was neat and accessible and nothing touched the actual drawer or shelf bottom so I didn't have to worry about anything getting dirty or soiled! Worked like a charm and this is the way I will now forever travel.

Ā 

I too get my cubes from TJ Maxx and Marshalls at very great prices. I have about 3 sets at the moment. I also lucked out the just before my trip...at TJ Maxx I found a special cube that has two slots on the top to put a pair of shoes in. I used that bag to hold my water shoes and 3 swimsuits and cover-ups! What a find! I'm going back now to see if I can find more of those special cubes as gifts for friends I know that travel a lot. It's my best find in a great while!!! It also unzips so the cube can be made larger! Love it!

Honestly...I would take a look at the suitcase that you intend to use and see how the cubes might fit into the suitcase. Rather than doing all the measuring, it might be easier to order and assortment to try out and then return what doesn't work so well.

I just came off a 7-day land trip to Cancun for my niece's wedding and I used several of the cubes. I love, love, love them! For the first time I used one of the big ones and rolled my pants and Capris into them. Worked out great! There was nothing in my suitcase but cubes. There was nothing loose in there at all. Worked beautifully! I just pull out a cube, unzip it, place the top of the bag under the bottom of the bag and in the drawer or shelf it went. Everything was neat and accessible and nothing touched the actual drawer or shelf bottom so I didn't have to worry about anything getting dirty or soiled! Worked like a charm and this is the way I will now forever travel.

Ā 

I too get my cubes from TJ Maxx and Marshalls at very great prices. I have about 3 sets at the moment. I also lucked out the just before my trip...at TJ Maxx I found a special cube that has two slots on the top to put a pair of shoes in. I used that bag to hold my water shoes and 3 swimsuits and cover-ups! What a find! I'm going back now to see if I can find more of those special cubes as gifts for friends I know that travel a lot. It's my best find in a great while!!! It also unzips so the cube can be made larger! Love it!

Ā 

Ā 

Mouse, what's the brand name on that cube? I'd love that! Melody

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I consider my suitcase a "cube" of sorts! I just pack everything in the suitcase! I don't really see the point of packing stuff in other containers, then putting the containers in ANOTHER container....

Ā 

Ā 

Agree..šŸ˜€...I pack for weeks into a carry on and the one thing I don't need is anything to take up more space and weight. Granted we do not move from place but rather cruise and unpack once and the same for multi weeks somewhere like London.šŸ˜€

I use medium for undies and casual tops, envelope type for shirts and blouses.

I used not to like them because I can pack more into a suitcase without them, but they have their merits. The envelope type keeps shirts neat. The medium size keeps casual clothes and undies together. I don't unpack them immediately, just pop them into drawers and shelves.

Ā 

They are handiest when you do a combined land- and cruise trip or have different climates during one trip, for example you can easily separate hot and cold weather clothes.

Ā 

The smallest cubes are good for electronics and other small things that tend to get easily lost among other items in your carry-on.