Harvest Caye- very disappointed.

Joannel1958

i think people who say there were not enough chairs are the same ones that say they cant find deck chairs. its all because they want to have chairs available for their entire party 2 feet from where they get off the ship or two feet from the pool on deck. unless you are off the ship early, you need to walk a bit further from the crowds to find chairs. same with on ship. people always want to be 2 steps from the pool, when in reality there are plenty of deck chairs to be found on higher decks.

I don't understand all of the negativity. See Harvest Caye for what it is. Yes, it is a cleaned up and fun island adventure that NCL and Belize have collaborated on. Most cruisers want a safe, clean and relaxing experience. Thats mainly why we cruise, right? If you want to have an exotic adventure roughing it in the bush, there are tour agencies that can give that to you, but for most, this fits the bill. The walk off of the boat to the island is just beautiful. Smooth surface to walk on and all covered so that you are shaded both directions (if you are handicapped, there are shuttles to whisk you back and forth). We stopped several times to marvel at the beautiful tropical fish right next to the walkway and all of the beautiful birds swooping in and out of the island foliage next to us. Beautifully planned entrance and small shopping area. Then the beach is large with many loungers (about 1/3 empty when we were there), sand clean (slightly course, but sand varies depending on where you are in the world). Amazing, clean pool with room for lounging beside it. If you are hungry or thirsty, plenty to offer, but you have to pay for it YOU ARE OFF THE BOAT! I am sure that it is expensive to get the supplies and staff to the island and maintenance would be incredible to keep everything clean and safe for visitors. If you are too cheap to pay for food and drink, why not eat just before visiting the Island then when you return to the ship, this is a "no-brainer".

We found the island to be beautiful, boring and overpriced. We would much rather go to mainland Belize or Great Stirrup Caye (where food and drinks are included -alcohol too if you have the UBP).

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

We were just there 5 days ago and I feel the exact same way (maybe us folks from Queens just think alike ;)). It is absolutely beautiful to look at as you look out at from the ship while docking - as it should be, being such a new development. However, the drinks are an absolute joke. Badly overpriced and ridiculously watered down. It may be naive not to expect them to be a little watered down and overpriced, but this is just robbery. I think you could have 20 margaritas and wouldn't even have the slightest buzz going. The service was a disaster also. The server on the beach that took care of many of the people in our group got most of the orders wrong and then mixed up everyone's bills. As for the beach, the sand is coarse like gravel and the water is no clearer than a beach here in the NYC area. Incredibly disappointing. The only saving grace is the pool - which is fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised to see in the future...people rushing off early to secure lounges around the pool and avoiding the beach entirely.

This poster obviously didn't sail the same busy week as me and perhaps on a smaller ship. The first picture is probably indicative of how the port looked 30 minutes after we could get off the ship and not later in the morning. The pool chairs were all taken and most of the beach chairs were all taken as well. (If you were a party of 2, you could probably maneuver 2 random chairs together). The pool was extremely crowded. Although, it was manageable. If I cruise on NCL again, I will definitely pick an itinerary that does not stop at Harvest Caye.

I'm throwing the "BS" flag on this one.

If you couldn't find a chair at Harvest Caye. You didn't leave the ship!

32423255081_1d6564fffe_b.jpg

32542664325_29630f5502_b.jpg

32542434135_573dac43cf_b.jpg

32422779641_67f2925ae2_b.jpg

Every port is exactly what you make if it. Many people pick up resort passes in many of the other ports. To me HC was a little like that except I didn't have to pay to use a lounger, swim in the pool or enjoy their small animal exhibit. Like any other port....food, beverage and attractions are extra, so no surprise there either. It's not "authentic" Belize (other than the location) but I don't think there is any pretense that it is. The people that work there are "authentic" and we had several engaging conversations with many of them. Like I said, it is what you make of it.

We have done Belize City on several other cruises and so were ready for a change and new experiences. So, yes, I enjoyed Harvest Caye!

WYTinman...My HC beach pictures looked so much like yours I thought we must have been there on the same day...till I noticed our beach was flagged green!

I will agree that the pm was definitely busier but there were still a ton of chairs for our group of 4 to pick from on the beach...less so around the pool. Each ship will be different, I guess!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Belize is a very beautiful place. Not Harvest Caye. NCL has created a beach where you spend the day. There are not enough chairs on the beach or by the pool. The sand is very coarse, You can not walk bare foot. The water is a lagoon so it is stagnant. There are not any floats or tubes to rent.

The pool was nice. Drinks are way overpriced and you have to pay for the food. There are only two restrooms on the island. There are plenty of gift shops if you want a $15.00 coozie or a $7.00 chocolate bar.

We have been to other private islands and this is the worst. Tried to get a snorkeling excursion but NCL does not allow any private excursions on the island.

Very disappointing. Went back on the ship for lunch and they must assume everyone is off the ship. Only 1/4 of the buffet was open for lunch. Way too crowed and not refilled as items were taken.

NCL does not advertise Harvest Caye as a stop in Belize. If people want to go to Belize they should book a cruise that goes to Belize. HC is a private retreat and has always been advertised that way. I cannot for the life of me figure out why people confuse HC with Belize. That is like saying that Great Stirrup Cay is in the Bahamas and people are upset that you can't get to Nassau from there.

We have been on Harvest Caye last week, it was fine, but no , I will never book a cruise to it again.

It is boring. I mean no snorkeling, beach sand is too rough for kids to play with..

There are barely enough chairs and not enough shade - you cannot move umbrellas and there are totally not enough of them.

As about pool... well...it is shallow and people mostly standing in it with beer, and looks like they don't bother leaving for bathrooms..

Agan, water was warm and we spent some time on a beach, but nothing to see and do for the second time. I would prefer real Belize any day, it has so much fun stuff to offer.

it will be interesting to see it first hand in december. i certainly didnt pick our sailing for this port (we never pick any sailing for a specific gotta see port. like other posters, we enjoy being on ship in port anyway. we never get off in Nassau anymore, for example, and on short stops to Tortola, same thing, stay on.

Hello, does anyone know if there are volleyball courts on HC or any other areas for activities? Thanks!

I have not seen any.

they have zipline ( not cheap) and some kayak rentals ( again, they were free on Costa Maya )

for kids tiny water park ( too boring for 5 y.o ) and couple of animals in cages.

We enjoyed our stop in Harvest Caye. TONS of chairs available on the beach - especially if you wandered farther down the beach. Prices were a bit high but reasonable - we sat on the beach, bought a bucket of beers (small bottles mind you) for $25... Lunch was about $30 or so and we didn't have to leave our beach chairs... Pool had chairs available too - swim up bar was beyond busy. We charged everything back to our stateroom - no need to bring cash or cards... Definitely could spend less than $100 for two persons for the day - unless you do the zip lining and stuff like that... Beach was coarse, but had no issues walking on it in bare feet.

dh and I were there from the Dawn about 6 weeks ago. I completely agree with the original poster. HC is more of a tourist trap.

There might have been plenty of chairs, but they had all been taken by the chair hogs the day we were there. All of them. The "sand" was mostly crushed seashells. If you go there I recommend Aqua Socks. There was even a Coldwell Banker real estate office.

We couldn't believe they would charge us for food and drinks. Even if you wanted to pay a king's ransom for drinks at the swim-up bar, it was so crowded I could hardly get to it.

It does have a long walkway, but there is a free shuttle service back and forth to the ship. There are also plenty of benches along the way. It sounds like anybody who just didn't want to walk all that way could use the shuttle.

By noon more and more of us were gravitating back to the ship to get lunch, and only a few went back to HC. dh and I just didn't think it was worth the effort, so we spent the rest of the afternoon on the upper deck.

Granted it had been a long time since we've cruised, there weren't as many excursions in Belize this time around. Last time we were there I went on a beach break to a small, quiet, uncrowded beach. We talked to each other and there was total silence except for the birds. There was a masseuse there that charged $1 a minute and another place where I could get a henna tattoo if I wanted. I miss that Belize.

Edited by Lady Patriot

dh and I were there from the Dawn about 6 weeks ago. I completely agree with the original poster. HC is more of a tourist trap.

There might have been plenty of chairs, but they had all been taken by the chair hogs the day we were there. All of them. The "sand" was mostly crushed seashells. If you go there I recommend Aqua Socks. There was even a Coldwell Banker real estate office.

We couldn't believe they would charge us for food and drinks. Even if you wanted to pay a king's ransom for drinks at the swim-up bar, it was so crowded I could hardly get to it.

It does have a long walkway, but there is a free shuttle service back and forth to the ship. There are also plenty of benches along the way. It sounds like anybody who just didn't want to walk all that way could use the shuttle.

By noon more and more of us were gravitating back to the ship to get lunch, and only a few went back to HC. dh and I just didn't think it was worth the effort, so we spent the rest of the afternoon on the upper deck.

Granted it had been a long time since we've cruised, there weren't as many excursions in Belize this time around. Last time we were there I went on a beach break to a small, quiet, uncrowded beach. We talked to each other and there was total silence except for the birds. There was a masseuse there that charged $1 a minute and another place where I could get a henna tattoo if I wanted. I miss that Belize.

Last time you went to Belize. Harvest caye isn't Belize. Belize still exists and is accessible via cruise, just not on NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As about pool... well...it is shallow and people mostly standing in it with beer, and looks like they don't bother leaving for bathrooms..

Finding this thread very interesting! We will be there, hopefully, in less than a month.

Thought this was the best comment yet !! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's see you miss Belize but then complain about having to pay for food, I haven't been to Belize but wouldn't you have to pay for it there? Yes this is a private island but all the people who work there are not from the ship they are locals, so how do they get paid? Did I think it was overpriced....NO. There is a lot of money invested into HC both by NCL and the Belize govt and all they ask is if you want to eat and drink there instead of going back to the ship is pay like any other port you may go to. I know a lot of people who pay excursions to go to a beach at one of the ports and in many cases you pay for you food and drink there as well, plus the excursion fee. So you walked around the shops did they twist your arm to buy something...NO. Did you have to stop and talk to the real estate agent.....Don't think so. Does people complain about Costa Maya or Cozumel being a tourist trap?

Let's see you miss Belize but then complain about having to pay for food, I haven't been to Belize but wouldn't you have to pay for it there? Yes this is a private island but all the people who work there are not from the ship they are locals, so how do they get paid? Did I think it was overpriced....NO. There is a lot of money invested into HC both by NCL and the Belize govt and all they ask is if you want to eat and drink there instead of going back to the ship is pay like any other port you may go to. I know a lot of people who pay excursions to go to a beach at one of the ports and in many cases you pay for you food and drink there as well, plus the excursion fee. So you walked around the shops did they twist your arm to buy something...NO. Did you have to stop and talk to the real estate agent.....Don't think so. Does people complain about Costa Maya or Cozumel being a tourist trap?

Isnt the problem with HC that we only get the bad things with a private Island and not the good things?

Bad things, no private excursions or any way to leave the area except for on ships excursions.

Good thing with a private Island, the food is included. On HC it's not included.

Isnt the problem with HC that we only get the bad things with a private Island and not the good things?

Bad things, no private excursions or any way to leave the area except for on ships excursions.

Good thing with a private Island, the food is included. On HC it's not included.

True...with one exception, I guess. You do get one of the good things in that you don't have 6 other ships in port with you.

I just think it's different strokes for different folks. Some people don't like ports where it's mostly a beach day (I'm one of them). Some want a beach day and want it to be more of an AI experience like some of the private islands. Some are happy to have a lovely pool and a beach and some activities that HC offers, and don't mind paying for food, drinks, etc. I personally think that planning ahead is key. As a previous poster mentioned, other lines still dock in Belize city. I would not be adverse to going to HC, but I would just know what to expect and plan for a short time off of the ship and make it more of a ship day (unless I am pleasantly surprised and decide I love it and stay the whole day). Otherwise, if I know I want to do something in Belize then I'll cruise on a ship that goes to Belize City