Q &A With Orlando on the World Cruise

Don't believe any of the four "R"-class ships can make it through the Kiel or Corinth canals. The Amazon should be doable. Some of the other PRDM-specific voyages/ports, not sure

Agree on the Kiel and Corinth canals although I am no expert.

I do know that the other ships couldn't go down the river that takes you to Seville (if it isn't silt laden).

Also looking at our itinerary for next year, I suspect only the P'dam could harbour in some of those ports. So glad we are doing this now. It's a terrific itinerary and, having read about some of the ports on a preliminary basis, I don't think the R class ships could get there. Unless you wanted to tender a LONG ways away.

Agree on the Kiel and Corinth canals although I am no expert.

I do know that the other ships couldn't go down the river that takes you to Seville (if it isn't silt laden).

Also looking at our itinerary for next year, I suspect only the P'dam could harbour in some of those ports. So glad we are doing this now. It's a terrific itinerary and, having read about some of the ports on a preliminary basis, I don't think the R class ships could get there. Unless you wanted to tender a LONG ways away.

Add being able to dock in Bangkok, rather than two hour grim bus ride away.

HoChiMihn City and Beijing --- can the P'dam get close to them too?

As the current Seabourn fleet is virtually brand new are you saying they will enter a marketing partnership to "move over" the P-dam client base to Seabourn, or that they will transfer one of those ships to HAL? I cannot really see either.

I see the R class ships backfilling the S class and Prinsendam voyages as the new Pinnacle class vessels arrive. The Vista class will then backfill for the R class and so on. I look at HAL staying even in the number of ships in the fleet but providing growth via larger vessels for the next 7-10 years.

I suspect the S class will be transferred within the Carnival Corp to another line as the next two Pinnacle class ships arrive, and that the Prinsendam will continue on with HAL until she is permanently retired. How long before that happens depends on the cost to keep her up to safety, mechanical and guest satisfaction standards as compared to the revenue she can command within the HAL fleet.

To those in the "know" how much serviceable life is realistic for the Prinsendam, as she is approaching 30 years in service as of now? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

I agree 100 %

The use of an S or R class ship in place of Prinsendam would definitely change/elimanate some of the itineraries and unique ports she can visit, which really is her appeal and her reason for being. I agree with others that a build out of a ship designed off the hull of the larger Seabourn ships (Encore), but with cabins and onboard facilities more tailored to the HAL clientele will probably make the most sense long term. Any ship the size of the Encore would have to carry slightly more passengers to work financially within HAL. The question is whether CCL see HAL needing to fill that niche with the brand or prefer to try and capture that clientele with another brand within the company.

I will be interested to see how the crows nest/explorations cafe/library areas evolve on the existing ships as they go through that space being converted to Explorations Central. I do think HAL have learned from the Konigsdam that some sort of Library area is essential onboard all of their ships.

As to the ATK: has anyone done the Cooking Class?

Would appreciate comments on how similar it ti to the old Cooking Classes.

I completed a cooking class on the Westerdam in January. It was excellent! Each participant had their own tools to work with, the instructor was well-organized, and we tasted the food at the end. Included in the class was a Test Kitchen apron and all recipes. I would recommend this activity to others!

I completed a cooking class on the Westerdam in January. It was excellent! Each participant had their own tools to work with, the instructor was well-organized, and we tasted the food at the end. Included in the class was a Test Kitchen apron and all recipes. I would recommend this activity to others!

Thanks very much. Sounds much more organized than the old format.

I take it that there is no lunch in the Pinnacle?

The question is whether CCL see HAL needing to fill that niche with the brand or prefer to try and capture that clientele with another brand within the company.

Is there another line within the CCL family that offers these long and varied itineraries? (At a cost that won't blow one's retirement budget?)

Is there another line within the CCL family that offers these long and varied itineraries? (At a cost that won't blow one's retirement budget?)

If one follows John Heald's Carnival blog, one may often garner hints of Carnival's thinking vis a vis itineraries, libraries, room service, etc. across the brands.

It sounds like a typical b.s. q & a talk...

I attended the talk and learned a few things from it. What I got about the Prinsendam was that if HAL were to replace her with a new build that size, because of the cost they would have to charge Seabourn rather than HAL prices to make it cost effective for HAL.

He mentioned that libraries will not be eliminated or down-sized; the lack of one on Konigsdam was a construction or design error that will be corrected.

We attended a cooking class in the culinary arts center and very much enjoyed it. While we could taste our own creation when we made it, we weren't making it for the class attendees. After the class we walked across to the Pinnacle Grill and were served a lunch of the same dishes we made, but these were made by the Pinnacle chef. Apparently they are worried about sanitation when guests would eat food made by guests. We also had unlimited wine with the lunch in the Pinnacle and the guest chef had some very entertaining stories to tell of cooking for celebrities. Incidentally, Orlando mentioned that we should be called "residents" rather than guests on the WC due to the number of days some of us have spent on the Amsterdam.

He mentioned that libraries will not be eliminated or down-sized; the lack of one on Konigsdam was a construction or design error that will be corrected.

More likely an error in judgment. But so long as the "error" is corrected, soon, and not repeated, that's what matters.

Thanks for the news.

What I got about the Prinsendam was that if HAL were to replace her with a new build that size, because of the cost they would have to charge Seabourn rather than HAL prices to make it cost effective for HAL.

Prinsendam prices are almost that level now. :eek:

A chef trained by ATK does the cooking demos

Stripped my gears on that one. :eek: Rockets and cooking? Being associated with aerospace industry my brain naturally associates ATK with Alliant Techsystems builder of rockets (and other cool stuff) :cool:. It's automatic.

USN59-79,

Thanks for posting the news about the libraries! That is great news!

But, at least on the Nieuw Amsterdam this December/January, a staff member whose job description includes overseeing the Library is needed. The books were in disarray when I was aboard. And, despite Mr. Ashford's good news, at least at that time, there were too many empty shelves.

I agree with RuthC: another example of an error in judgement from someone(s) in Seattle.

Captain Dag mentioned to us (sailing on Seabourn Quest to Antarctica) that the Prinsendam will be 30 years old in 2018 and at that point the insurance costs go way up. He couldn't predict the future of the Prinsendam but he loves that ship as much or more than we all do.

USN59-79,

Thanks for posting the news about the libraries! That is great news!

But, at least on the Nieuw Amsterdam this December/January, a staff member whose job description includes overseeing the Library is needed. The books were in disarray when I was aboard. And, despite Mr. Ashford's good news, at least at that time, there were too many empty shelves.

I agree with RuthC: another example of an error in judgement from someone(s) in Seattle.

There was a librarian at the desk on the Amsterdam. But it has been a long time since any new books were added. I read a lot of books (there were a lot of sea days) and most were printed 7 to 10 years ago. Maybe not a big deal for fiction, very noticeable in the science or technology section.