Is Princess going to Rio?

eqj60

Voyage is still there to be found:

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=E802

..but as you noticed the disembarkation port is now Santiago rather than Rio.

There do not appear to be any more future cruises either starting or ending in Rio with only the 60 day Grand South America even calling there in the 2017-18 season. I imagine Princess is finally fed up with all the issues they have with the authorities in Brazil--and the huge OBCs they had to give everyone on one sailing last year to mollify a very angry shipful of passengers--and made the change. Remember the Cruise Atlas goes to press nearly a year before the start of its coverage dates so nothing in it should be viewed as carved in stone.

• 6 months later...

On my SA cruise earlier this year, we DID stop in Rio (overnight, as per original itinerary) However, there were issues with crew who were not permitted to proceed on the cruise and were sent home due to Brazilian visa requirements. Bottom line, if your ship is going to stop in Rio make yourself very aware of the Brazilian visa requirements for your nationality, as they do differ from country to country. In addition, it is very popular to add a side trip to Iguazu Falls, so if you want to see the Brazilian side of the falls same as above applies, there are NO exceptions and that border is very much controlled.

Join us. It is 49 days.

Or if you cannot wait another year, come with us on the ISLAND for 60 days, including Panama Canal. We visit Rio during Carnivale with 2 nights in port. We are going to the main parade on Sunday night. Should be one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences.

Or if you cannot wait another year, come with us on the ISLAND for 60 days, including Panama Canal. We visit Rio during Carnivale with 2 nights in port. We are going to the main parade on Sunday night. Should be one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences.

Nice! Enjoy yourself but hang onto your wallet, watch, jewelry, etc. Lots of folks there and I've heard that a lot of folks "lose" their stuff in the confusion. Be careful and have fun.

For all of Rio's problems, truly an amazing place to sail out of - my most memorable sail away for the scenery and ambiance. Hopefully they will run the itinerary again in the future.

I agree....a couple of years ago we were on the Star Princess from LA to Rio....we spent a week in Rio at the end and it was a very interesting, beautiful and vibrant city to explore and sightsee in.....:)

We visit Rio during Carnivale with 2 nights in port. We are going to the main parade on Sunday night. Should be one of those "once in a lifetime" experiences.

Absolutely one of the highlights of my travel career. We stayed and danced in the Sambadrome until the sun rose. Take at least one extra camera battery and a padded seat cushion (A necessity on the concrete seats and not automatically provided. We did this on a Celebrity ship and the entire night, including water and cushion, was included in our cruise fare). I'd also recommend ear plugs.

The Royal will stop in Rio during her repositioning cruise from Fort Lauderdale to LA. It starts Feb 2, 2019.

That should keep it unpopular for many US citizens and others who will need an expensive and awkward to obtain visa.

If you have an EU passport you don't need a visa at all for Brazil

Might be a lot of us foreigners on board for an nice long inexpensive cruise?????????

Might be a lot of us foreigners on board for an nice long inexpensive cruise?????????

Got a chuckle with that part of your post. To the population of your native country, I would imagine we in the US are the foreigners. A very good 70's rock group, I might add.

That should keep it unpopular for many US citizens and others who will need an expensive and awkward to obtain visa.

If you have an EU passport you don't need a visa at all for Brazil

We don't have the visas yet and not looking forward to getting them. Expensive and a total pain to get. I think we'll go the route of paying a service to do it although it will still be a pain in the butt even then. (Of course if the US would stop making the Brazilian people pay for a spendy and hard to get US visa Brazil might, in turn, stop making us do the same but that really doesn't help me much.)