Wallis talkie?

ucm1995

This is a very hot topic on Cruise Critic.

The very common recommendations are face to face communication, post it notes, a little planning, and getting over the concept that you need 24/7 instant communication- you are on vacation!!! :D

"Are you receiving, Tom?"

"Tom?"

"TOM".

"TOM"

"TOM !!!"

"Didn't quite hear that, Tom. Can you repeat?"

"Sorry, say again".

"Which pool?"

"Repeat please"

"Still didn't get it. Can you speak louder?"

"What was that splash I heard?"

"Waddaya mean, someone got annoyed with you shouting and threw your walkie-talkie in the pool?"

All in jest, but put your tin hat on in case of more forthright responses. ;p

Fact is, walkie-talkies don't work well on ships & decently-powerful ones contravene regulations.

And with the best will in the world, there's still a tendency to forget about folk around you and to shout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know my stuff on cellphone charges, but dig deeply into it.

You may find that your message goes across the oceans to your home server, then back across the oceans to the recipient on the next deck - with both of you paying handsomely for that message..

You also leave yourself open to paying to receive mundane or sales-canvassing calls or messages from folk unaware that you're out of the country.

And if you forgot to switch off roaming you'll be racking up huge charges.

Ships have to pay high charges for their cell service, but there are still times when they don't receive a signal, so it's also pretty unreliable.

-----------------------------------------------------

A post-it note on the cabin door or an agreed noticeboard might be a little low-tech, but is a better option.

Though after a couple of days unless kids are involved you probably won't even bother with that.

Just MHO as always ;)

JB :)

Just tell each other your plans for the day...and then everyone will know where to look for the others, if plans should change! You can also leave messages on the cabin phone....

Few people want to lug a walkie talkie around all day.

I've only sailed on Carnival so I can only talk to that line...

Their HUB app has a handy chat feature for just $5 per person per cruise.

Barring that each cabin has a phone and there are phones all over the ship including the elevator lobbies on almost all decks.

There is stationary and pens in each cabin and most ships have mailboxes at the cabin and if not you can slide notes under the door.

With all of those options walkie talkies don't seem necessary and I agree they're annoying to other guests but they also seem to annoy the people using them as they rarely work well.

My wife is disabled and we use Ham Radio but only minimally and usually in the morning when I'm off getting her breakfast-coffee etc., never ashore in foreign countries due to restrictions and not without Captains permission.

IMO I would not recommend either - walkie talkies (when they work on board) are annoying to other passengers and texting is too expensive. There are far easier - and more effective - ways to communicate on board.

Try talking at night and in the morning to lay out plans, use post it's on the doors, leave messages on the stateroom phones (there are public phones throughout the ship), set designated meeting times and places, take a walk and look for each other in the likely places you'll end up spending most of your time, etc., etc. The ships are not that big and you can easily keep in touch without walkie talkies or texting.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Lots of lines now offer messaging free via shipboard networks. Any WiFi enabled device should be able to connect without charge using their apps, which we've found on Google Play store, Apple, and even Amazon Kindle store for mainstream lines. usually has useful things like daily events, bar/resto opening hours etc. And since we'd be carrying a phone or tablet around for reading purposes, zero additional inconvenience except the extra battery drain with WiFi being on!