Europe to Possibly Require Americans to Get Visas???

Kenswing

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-usa-visa-idUSKBN1691Q9

The European Parliament called on the EU executive on Thursday to force Americans to apply for visas before visiting Europe this summer, stepping up pressure to resolve a long-running transatlantic dispute on the issue.

The European Commission stressed it was pursuing a diplomatic resolution to the row, leaving it unlikely that it would act on the vote by lawmakers setting a May deadline to impose visas - a move that could hurt Europe's tourism sector.

Washington refuses to grant visa-free access to people from four east European states and Cyprus, while those from the other 23 member states can enter using the U.S. visa waiver program. EU rules call for equal treatment for all Union citizens

Sorry to keep you awake.. lol

Not that it's likely to happen but certainly something to keep in mind if getting ready to travel across the pond..

News like that from the EU never excites me. They rarely get anything done. Maybe they will this time but it will take a long time and I ain't losing any sleep over it..... zzzzzzz

News like that from the EU never excites me. They rarely get anything done. Maybe they will this time but it will take a long time and I ain't losing any sleep over it..... zzzzzzz

They haven't audited their accounts for years and things take years to happen.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Why not,we have to pay for a visa waiver to enter USA so let's reciprocate and charge them the same

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

The issue is not related to the ESTA and visa waiver program. The issue is that some EU countries (Cyprus, Bulgaria, etc) are not part of the visa waiver program and as such people with those passports must have visas, which is far more expensive and requires interviews at a US embassy or consulate. If the EU goes the visa route then expect the US to respond accordingly and drop the waiver program.

I doubt that anything will really happen.

Almost all citizens of "Euro" countries are part of the Visa Waiver Programme and are treated similarly when getting an ESTA. There are 5 countries whose citizens are not included and citizens of those 5 countries have to get an actual visa. All that the "Euro Bloc" is asking for is that the 5 are included as VWP countries. So simple for the USA to include them.

There is no reason that the UK should not have a similar system to the USA in terms of requiring an entry visa, a one off fee of £10 to £20 may seem harsh but we have to pay for one when we travel to the USA and it only lasts for two years.

A UK entry visa should apply to everyone wishing to enter the UK.

The same applies to enter Russia.

I agree a visa waiver done online would not be too inconvenient as we know because we need one for travelling to US and would bring much needed cash to the treasury to hopefully spend on the NHS.

live in UK love USA and Royal Caribbean Cruises.

Not everyone is automatically gung-ho about going to Europe like here on CC.Tourism from the USA to Europe is already facing issues due to real or imagined issues with political instability, terrorism, refugees, etc. If the EU adds any kind of impediment to making it easy for US persons to go there, however cheap or simple, it won't make things better--only worse.

Not everyone is automatically gung-ho about going to Europe like here on CC.Tourism from the USA to Europe is already facing issues due to real or imagined issues with political instability, terrorism, refugees, etc. If the EU adds any kind of impediment to making it easy for US persons to go there, however cheap or simple, it won't make things better--only worse.

You will get a warm welcome in the UK.We have similar issues with Europe and their Schengan zone of free movement of people and open borders.

live in UK love USA and Royal Caribbean Cruises.

Pretty much this. I'm Canadian but know my US family pretty well. VISA for Europe required? Time to cruise the Caribbean or a Hawaii instead.

Hell some Americans complain about needing a passport PERIOD when leaving the country. Good luck getting them to pay for a VISA.

It's not fair but it's the truth. VISA requirements for Americans will only hurt tourism industries in Europe.

All it requires is for the US to treat all citizens from the EU member countries equally...

All it requires is for the US to treat all citizens from the EU member countries equally...

The issue is that the US State Department does not consider those countries to have sufficient controls in place on their process for issuing passports. That is why they have not been allowed into the Visa waiver program.

Fairly certain that the US will not change its view until it considers those countries to have a secure passport issuing process.

If the EU moves to require Visas from US travelers, you can be fairly certain that the US would drop the rest of the EU out of the passport waiver process as well. Best outcome is for the passport process in those countries to get tightened up then the problem goes away.

Edited by RDC1

There is no reason that the UK should not have a similar system to the USA in terms of requiring an entry visa, a one off fee of £10 to £20 may seem harsh but we have to pay for one when we travel to the USA and it only lasts for two years.

A UK entry visa should apply to everyone wishing to enter the UK.

The same applies to enter Russia.

The fee you pay when you travel to the US is not a Visa fee. Those cost $160 just to apply and requires an interview at a US embassy or consulate. The $14 fee is a processing fee under the visa waiver program.

The issue is that the US State Department does not consider those countries to have sufficient controls in place on their process for issuing passports. That is why they have not been allowed into the Visa waiver program.

I read that the affected countries have a USA visa rejection rate of over 3% for whatever reason. Thus they are not eligible for the visa waiver program.

I do not see the USA moving those countries to the visa waiver program if that continues to be true.