Strange Thread Inputs--"Hi Everyone..."

cluso

OK--I have seen this too many times now on various roll calls. The message is the same--to include the same capitalization and punctuation.

Hi Everyone! I am sailing on this cruise and looking forward to chatting with all of you!

Most of these posters (all different) have only 1/or less than 5 posts.

I alerted Celebrity a few weeks ago--no response.

Is someone stalking threads for info (especially when people set up separate info sites) or am I just clueless? :confused:

That's weird--and none of the ones I have seen have ever posted another message.

That's a little odd. I've seen this on boards where there were sales forums, but there's no real way for a scammer to profit with a fake account on cruise critic.

That's a little odd. I've seen this on boards where there were sales forums, but there's no real way for a scammer to profit with a fake account on cruise critic.

I am more concerned about people getting names, dates, cabin numbers, excursion info/times&dates, and access to separate web sites that members set up with all that info.

Actually it is a computer generated message that occurs when someone signs up for a connections party. We had a newbie come on to the roll call and when she saw what was posted by the computer she was annoyed at the language used and clarified that she never posted that message.

It never occurred to me that these messages were anything other than someone new joining the Roll Calls. I have been welcoming them. :o The messages have annoyed me in that I wondered why the "newbies" could not come up with something original to introduce themselves with. LOL

cluso - Thanks so much for pointing this out. ;)

It would annoy me as well if Cruise Critic made posts in my name I was unaware of. I noticed these posts awhile ago and there is a sticky thread explaining these mundane posts. The posters never come to the roll call to post. I have always been perplexed by the people who join the party and never join the roll call. They are the people who come to the party, sit by themselves, never talk to anyone and seem totally perplexed at the entire event.

They are now automatically generated when you use the "Find your roll call" and "Join" buttons. I noticed it when I was searching for my latest cruise. A bit patronising and annoying, but harmless.

I can assure everyone I'm a real person who's not trying to stalk anyone or sell anything.

Only what a person writes should be included in THEIR post...Alteration of someone's post or posting on their behalf would be like fake news, if I am understanding the issue correctly.

I saw this language recently on one of my roll calls and will go back & take a look..

I am more concerned about people getting names, dates, cabin numbers, excursion info/times&dates, and access to separate web sites that members set up with all that info.

Anyone who registers can gain access to all of this information, without ever making a single post. Be very careful with giving up your cabin#, personal info, etc.

The best way not to get ignored is ask specific questions (most people are eager to help) join in other chats and offer up some input of your own. I get ignored as well - don't take it personally. Some roll calls are a lot more active and friendlier than others. It's an indication of the group you are about to sail with. I've made great friends from the roll calls and we hang out all during the cruise and still keep in touch. Others have been a total bust and I made friends elsewhere on the ship. Just put yourself out there - no harm and you can reap many benefits and fun.

Why would you trust anyone on an anonymous social media site with any personal info? This issue extends to everyone, not just singular posters.

It would annoy me as well if Cruise Critic made posts in my name I was unaware of. I noticed these posts awhile ago and there is a sticky thread explaining these mundane posts. The posters never come to the roll call to post. I have always been perplexed by the people who join the party and never join the roll call. They are the people who come to the party, sit by themselves, never talk to anyone and seem totally perplexed at the entire event.

I also do not like the idea of things being posted in my name that I did not write. As far as being perplexed though, I many times will subscribe to a roll call that is for the same ship and itinerary as my own but a few weeks ahead of my own even though I am not on that sailing. I don't post. I just gather information on possible port excursions, reviews, etc. Of course, that would explain why I never quite make it to the party, lol ;)

Anyone who registers can gain access to all of this information, without ever making a single post. Be very careful with giving up your cabin#, personal info, etc.

Yes, I've been very uncomfortable with the organizers on roll calls that want everyone to post their cabin numbers, real names and home towns. I know they are just well-meaning gregarious types but there is no need for cabin numbers on a public forum and it could conceivably cause problems, particularly for those with uncommon surnames.

Generating a post under someone else's name is egregious and should be stopped. It really isn't harmless.

Especially without letting the user know and giving them an opportunity to opt in or out.

Really disgraceful and an abuse of power. Perfect case of we can, but should not.

Why would you trust anyone on an anonymous social media site with any personal info? This issue extends to everyone, not just singular posters.

I am one of those people that don't put ALL that info on spreadsheets/etc, and sometimes I feel bad about not doing it. But...I feel better/safer personally.:cool:

I just wanted to alert people to those weird inputs. Even though Cruise Critic has now said they "automatically" do it, I do not think that is the right approach to roll calls. Doing "posts" in someones name does not sound right.

I also do not like the idea of things being posted in my name that I did not write. As far as being perplexed though, I many times will subscribe to a roll call that is for the same ship and itinerary as my own but a few weeks ahead of my own even though I am not on that sailing. I don't post. I just gather information on possible port excursions, reviews, etc. Of course, that would explain why I never quite make it to the party, lol ;)

You are certainly not alone. Many people peruse the roll calls - there is a wealth of excursion and money saving info to be shared. All you have to do is look at the views - "20,000" to the actual posts "200" as examples. I would much rather have the lurkers gain information and possibly post if they want to join a tour than have people endlessly post about their day to day life which has nothing to do with cruising. That's just me, others really enjoy the chit chat.

We never post cabin no or other private info, esp when someone is doing a link to a roll call spreadsheet. There are ways to plan events etc without posting personal info here. Each person must decide their own comfort level..

No posts should be made in someone elses name period! Its like the set dialogues your phone can do...if you are lazy. Very Creepy!

Seems cruise critic is making itself too technical...esp for its purpose of selling travel and hosting travel conversations...The tech gremlins are out of control...hope they take a vacation..