Tell Me Why.....

Oville

On 5/14/2021 at 2:24 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Well, you can still get them without the drinks package, you will just have to pay for them.

I think you are paying for them if you get the drinks pkg., they just charge you up front so no money at the time of consumption.

On a couple of points raised in previous posts we went on the Homelands cruise in 2018 and the trip to Berlin was by train. We wouldn't recommend that. It was still a long journey on an old non air conditioned train [temps were 32c +] . If we did that cruise again we would go to somewhere like Rostock instead. 

Someone mentioned gratuities not being included. In the previous and tomorrow's UK cruise they are, as they are on the cruise we have booked in Oct from Venice to Istanbul.

We have only cruised with one other company, P & O, and we found it quite stuffy and would probably not now cruise with anyone other than Viking. Another description I would give the ships and experiences would be Nordic Cool. And the passengers tend to be mainly American, which as a Brit I find enjoyable and interesting.

20 minutes ago, timbloom said:

On a couple of points raised in previous posts we went on the Homelands cruise in 2018 and the trip to Berlin was by train. We wouldn't recommend that. It was still a long journey on an old non air conditioned train [temps were 32c +] . If we did that cruise again we would go to somewhere like Rostock instead. 

Someone mentioned gratuities not being included. In the previous and tomorrow's UK cruise they are, as they are on the cruise we have booked in Oct from Venice to Istanbul.

We have only cruised with one other company, P & O, and we found it quite stuffy and would probably not now cruise with anyone other than Viking. Another description I would give the ships and experiences would be Nordic Cool. And the passengers tend to be mainly American, which as a Brit I find enjoyable and interesting.

Tips included is standard pricing  in the UK.  It is not for the US; we get to pay them separately.  Very, very occasionally there may be a tips included promo offered to the US market.  

1 hour ago, timbloom said:

To expand on Peregrina's reply.

The difference in gratuities is cultural, with USA expectations being different from those in UK & Australia/NZ. When P&O/Princess were Carnavalised, Carnival introduced the US system to the UK market by adding gratuities pp per day. As expected, this was not well received, so Carnival were forced into removing the tips, which was effective May 2019. Viking market regionally, with Viking UK having different Terms & Conditions to Viking USA, so they are more accepting of local customs. 

P&O even owned by Carnival has managed to retain a few of the long established traditions of a very old shipping company. It is definitely more formal and as you indicated a somewhat more stuffy atmosphere than Viking. Even after working for P&O for a number of years, I have no desire to sail on any of their ships, as sadly the SS Uganda, SS Oriana & SS Canberra are long gone, replaced with Carnival monstrosities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, timbloom said:

Bless you!  🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 7:51 PM, MSEm said:

Be sure to sign up on Roll Call for your cruise.  We have had small 6-10 people taking a "private tour".

We went to many of the same places as the Viking Optional tour.  We have also just booked a private tour for just us, but find have 6-10 people a wonderful size for the tours. Cruises will often post on Roll Call about private tours they are booking and wanting others to join to split the cost.

Waffles, Living Room Cafe coffee to order, Winter Garden afternoon tea, room service full breakfast and heated bath floors. just a few reasons to cruise with Viking Ocean.

Viking novice here.  Looking forward to my first sailing on July 13 and hoping someone could describe how afternoon tea is done on the ship. 

Is it offered every afternoon or only sea days, are reservations required and do they serve real clotted cream or just whipped cream?  Of course who knows how it will be like with safety restrictions but any time a warm scone is involved, count me in!

Edited by cadburysmom

30 minutes ago, cadburysmom said:

Viking novice here.  Looking forward to my first sailing on July 13 and hoping someone could describe how afternoon tea is done on the ship. 

Is it offered every afternoon or only sea days, are reservations required and do they serve real clotted cream or just whipped cream?  Of course who knows how it will be like with safety restrictions but any time a warm scone is involved, count me in!

In our experience, Afternoon Tea is held at 16:00 on most sea days, in the Wintergarden. No reservations are required. The classical duo, or one of the performers will be playing some easy listening music. When the galley scheduled buffet extraveganzas on the Pool Deck, the Afternoon Tea was cancelled, but these may not be scheduled on shorter cruises, so Afternoon Tea could be every sea day on shorter cruises.

You will receive the extensive tea menu, from which you order your tea. The waiters will bring the traditional triple tier stand and a choice of plain scones or raisin scones. The clotted cream is proper, not just whipped cream. 

All times we went for afternoon tea, social distancing would not have been an issue, as the room was never crowded.

Enjoy the afternoon tea.

46 minutes ago, cadburysmom said:

I believe it is offered everyday. It is held in the Winter Garden, spreads to the two walkway/seating areas on either side that have windows to the ocean, and if the crowd gets really big, into Explorer’s Lounge.  

I am with you regarding scones and (as our friend Lady McGrath calls it) “proper” clotted cream. We have done 3.5 transatlantics with Viking and always had clotted cream. When we attended tea on our Far East Discovery cruise, we were disappointed when they were served with whipped cream. I mentioned it in my blog/Instagram  post and the next day, the Asst Manager in charge of tea stopped me and said he had seen the post. He wanted me to know that they had supply issues in Asia but he had some clotted cream available and to be sure to ask for it next time we attended tea. 

Several days later, we sat down, ordered our tea, the basket of warm scones came by and as the server was placing the whipped cream down on the table, here comes Ricky with proper clotted cream! 😊. One more example of how Viking goes out of their way to provide what you want. 

Enjoy-hopefullly Cornish style like me!

C48E8673-A349-4ABC-AF18-9069CFD4C31B.jpeg

F8012E7F-2D7B-46C6-8C42-0628197DBA5F.jpeg

B4E2FD66-5B10-4382-A676-AB00732D6412.jpeg

BF39F15D-C81B-4713-82F9-0B28FDC4EF29.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I mentioned it in my blog/Instagram  post and the next day, the Asst Manager in charge of tea stopped me and said he had seen the post. He wanted me to know that they had supply issues in Asia but he had some clotted cream available and to be sure to ask for it next time we attended tea. 

Wow - I knew Viking read CC posts, but to read and respond to posts on the same cruise and then remedy the issue is going above and beyond.

I've looked at several of the Viking Dailies and tea doesn't seem to be scheduled on embarkation day.

• Like 1

Just now, JeriGail said:

Wow - I knew Viking read CC posts, but to read and respond to posts on the same cruise and then remedy the issue is going above and beyond.

I've looked at several of the Viking Dailies and tea doesn't seem to be scheduled on embarkation day.

Actually, this wasn’t “Viking” this was that crew member. I was hashtagging the  ship and he caught it that way. But as you said, above and beyond!

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

In our experience, Afternoon Tea is held at 16:00 on most sea days, in the Wintergarden...

Enjoy the afternoon tea.

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I am with you regarding scones and (as our friend Lady McGrath calls it) “proper” clotted cream...

Thanks to you BOTH for such excellent and quick responses!

Heidi13, your description makes me so happy...sounds like they do a great job of it.  Always love a classical duo...

...and a special shout out to Clay Clayton for both your wonderful clotted cream story and the awesome photos....oh, to be enjoying an afternoon tea now!! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Actually, this wasn’t “Viking” this was that crew member. I was hashtagging the  ship and he caught it that way. But as you said, above and beyond!

Several people (Clay?) also gave me some great strategies for "Tea Days."  Find an evening when there's nothing special on the dinner menu, have a big late breakfast and no lunch, have tea, then go to the World Café for a late dinner or get a late Chef's Table reservation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Close to the end of our WC, one of the crew members advised that the ship was reading all of my posts and really appreciated the positive feedback.

• Like 2

On our 2-week cruise in 2018, the afternoon teas were packed. We were advised to get there early — which we didn’t do and ended up sitting outside the Winter Garden along the sides with a zillion other people. The servers were rushed off their feet. It felt pretty chaotic. Not sure how typical that is, but next time I will certainly take that advice and get there early.

On our TA in Sept. 2018, afternoon tea was offered every day other than embarkation day - and this was a port-intensive TA. (In the Wake of the Vikings.)  It has also been served daily on each of the other VO cruises we've done.  Similar to Twitchly's experience, on the TA, the afternoon tea was crowded on sea days, with overflow out into the hallway seating outside the Winter Garden.  That said, it doesn't sound like we were quite as crowded as their experience; there was always a place to sit, although it might not have been in a preferred location.  On port days, our experience looked much more like the pictures Heidi13 posted, e.g., very open seating.  In any case, it's definitely a proper tea.  We try to go a few times on each cruise.  I do agree with the advice to arrive early, particularly on sea days.  But in our experience, 3:45 was sufficient; it wasn't necessary to hang out from 3:00 p.m. on or anything like that.  

Someone somewhere (maybe the site which can’t be named) has reported that the hours for tea have been extended (3-5 pm?) to allow for social distancing. 

If it seems too crowded, then take a peek in the Explorer’s lounge.

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Someone somewhere (maybe the site which can’t be named) has reported that the hours for tea have been extended (3-5 pm?) to allow for social distancing. 

I was wondering about this and thought they would institute some sort of social distancing.

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks Clay - that would definitely suit us better, as we much prefer tea at 15:00. Too many years working on ships, where the Steward always brought our tea & tabnabs at 15:00.😁

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2021 at 10:46 AM, Clay Clayton said:

I believe it is offered everyday. It is held in the Winter Garden, spreads to the two walkway/seating areas on either side that have windows to the ocean, and if the crowd gets really big, into Explorer’s Lounge.  

I am with you regarding scones and (as our friend Lady McGrath calls it) “proper” clotted cream. We have done 3.5 transatlantics with Viking and always had clotted cream. When we attended tea on our Far East Discovery cruise, we were disappointed when they were served with whipped cream. I mentioned it in my blog/Instagram  post and the next day, the Asst Manager in charge of tea stopped me and said he had seen the post. He wanted me to know that they had supply issues in Asia but he had some clotted cream available and to be sure to ask for it next time we attended tea. 

Several days later, we sat down, ordered our tea, the basket of warm scones came by and as the server was placing the whipped cream down on the table, here comes Ricky with proper clotted cream! 😊. One more example of how Viking goes out of their way to provide what you want. 

C48E8673-A349-4ABC-AF18-9069CFD4C31B.jpeg

F8012E7F-2D7B-46C6-8C42-0628197DBA5F.jpeg

B4E2FD66-5B10-4382-A676-AB00732D6412.jpeg

BF39F15D-C81B-4713-82F9-0B28FDC4EF29.jpeg

Did the guy wiping his nose go wash his hands?