Norwegian Gem Tips Etc.

gidgetgoes

hi! we're sailing the Gem later this month, first time Norwegian, really excited but not finding a lot of information about what the ship is like, things to know, tips, advice, etc. anyone sailed on her recently with some info? i've read every review i can find. now i think i'm just jonesing for discussion! i'm a ridiculous planner.

we have a balcony room toward the rear on the left, port, 9th deck, and we got all the freebies like UDP and specialty dining. booked our specialty restaurants already. booked only one excursion, the baths on tortola. we have full face snorkel gear we're bringing to do our own snorkeling on the other islands. any suggestions for st.Thomas or st.maarten would be great!

our son is ten, and we're a little worried he won't enjoy the kids program. he's very independent and likes video games and reading. we had no luck in the kids club on DCL, mainly because he was on the old end of the young children room, and they had nothing for him to do (he was 9 then). any thoughts on this would be helpful, too.

thanks in advance! really excited! maybe a little manic! ;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

we did a tour in St. Maarten thru Viator. It went to Orient Beach in the morning, then Maho (Airport) Beach for the afternoon. About 2 hours at each beach, and you basically drove the entire circumference of hte island. well worth it, the drive/tour guide was awesome.

Maho is amazing, you see the planes land right over head and take off. Was awesome fun. My fiance even held onto the fence when an American Airlines jet took off.

we did a tour in St. Maarten thru Viator. It went to Orient Beach in the morning, then Maho (Airport) Beach for the afternoon. About 2 hours at each beach, and you basically drove the entire circumference of hte island. well worth it, the drive/tour guide was awesome.

Maho is amazing, you see the planes land right over head and take off. Was awesome fun. My fiance even held onto the fence when an American Airlines jet took off.

thanks! we are thinking about doing this. there's also supposed to be a resort next to maho that sells day passes, but not sure we want to take our chances on that. they don't sell them ahead, only day of.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

First, as to the ship itself: one of our favorite places on the Gem is the Great Outdoors, aft of the buffet. It has its own (more limited) buffet out there, and is a great place to sit and relax, in sun or shade, and whether or not it's meal time. We've been known to spend hours out there on sea days.

For a great indoor observation area, there's the Spinnaker lounge, forward on Deck 13. (It's often used during the day for trivia, etc., but when not in use, it's another good place to hang out, if you don't want to be outside.) Also, don't miss the bridge viewing room, all the way forward on the port side of Deck 11.

Re the ports: we've been to Tortola and St. Thomas and St. Maarten on the Gem (also San Juan, which you didn't mention. Will you be calling there as well?)

You can get lots of info on the ports over on the Caribbean/Ports of Call boards. In St. Maarten, we had a wonderful day using the highly-recommended Bernard's Tours. Gave us some beach time on Orient, as well as a stop at Maho to see the planes, which I suspect your sun would enjoy. (BTW, one end of Orient beach is a nude beach; no need to walk down there if you are not interested. But with your son along, know that even in the non-nude part of Orient, you may well see topless women, as well as guys wearing, well, not much.)

We took the NCL excursion from St. Thomas to St. John so that we could snorkel at Trunk Bay (we had our own gear too). The snorkeling was not great but Trunk Bay is stunningly beautiful. We went snorkeling at the Indians from Tortola; that was pretty cool, but sounds like you have Tortola covered.

Happy to answer other questions; have a great trip!

United%20over%20Maho%201024x697_zpsiynpsr8b.jpg

Trunk%20Bay%201024x642_zpso0hofhfy.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

woot! thanks! i did not know about the island boards, i will go check that out, what a great tip!

we are indeed also visiting San Juan, sorry, i forgot to mention it because we've also got that covered. i love old San Juan and want to take my husband and son, who haven't been, through the town to the old fort, stop in a cigar shop, have lunch, that sort of thing.

i have heard of the nude beach, that's not a problem for my son, he will probably think it's hilarious. we're not weird about that, i just don't want to be the one nude, thanks. ;)

i have read such varied things about trunk bay, and the boat ride over to it. i want to do some good, from-the-beach snorkeling. we took a disastrous catamaran trip to stingray city on our DCL trip in Grand Cayman. they took us out in a storm, it was terrifying. we'd be fine taking a larger boat to a beach, but we'd never try to do anything off the side of a smaller boat again. just thinking about it makes me uncomfortable.

looking forward to checking out those places on the ship. thanks!

just spent some time on the island forums and decided to taxi to sapphire beach on st Thomas, and decided to cancel our NCL excursion to the baths from tortola, and just do it ourselves. so much great info, thanks!

During the day, Deck 7 Aft's Bliss Lounge/Night Club should be open (unless closed for private functions) and very quiet, comfortable sofa/lounger - relax, read - bowling lanes (for a fee) inside and slot machines. Library & Card Room on deck 12 Fwd can be a quiet place as well (used to be much bigger) - bring along in-ear headsets for music or videos to tune out other sound.

Outside Havensight's pier/dock at ST, there are taxi tours, prices are sometimes negotiable - checkout Cohen's giant gift shop on the way back w. the giant shark. Driver gave us a tour around town, head up the hill over to Magen Beach before going east to Sapphire Beach, much quieter & good to snorkel, BYO or rent (public changing room & shower next to small gift shop where soda/water & light snacks are sold) - driver gave us about 2 hours to enjoy ourselves then took us around the southeast loop back to the ship/pier, dropping us near all the stores/gift-shops, good prices on liquor & smoke with special U.S. allowance/exemption.

We're there at SM during one of their national holiday so most places closed, walk to town or take a quick ferry ride over, rent beach chairs & giant umbrellas to kick up some sand, Coors going for $2 each and supposed to have WiFi for customers at most bar/cafe shops.

we are indeed also visiting San Juan, sorry, i forgot to mention it because we've also got that covered. i love old San Juan and want to take my husband and son, who haven't been, through the town to the old fort, stop in a cigar shop, have lunch, that sort of thing.

i have read such varied things about trunk bay, and the boat ride over to it.

Yes, we loved Old San Juan, and did just what you are describing, except for the cigar shop.;p Had a fabulous mofongo lunch at Raices.

The boat ride from St. Thomas to St. John was wonderful. Narrated along the way; we loved it.

there are still bowing lanes? i thought i'd read they took them out. that's great if they are still there!

You read correctly; they are no longer there.

there are still bowing lanes? i thought i'd read they took them out. that's great if they are still there!

No bowling lanes on the Gem when we were on in November. Just an FYI about the library - it is pretty busy in there. The only ship computers for internet access are in the library and there are only 3 of them so there was often a wait.

Have a great cruise.

We leave Thursday!!! We found resort day passes for St Marten online where we were able to reserve in advance. We checked out reviews on the boards here and trip advisor. Resort for a day was the website in case you are still thinking about options for the island.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No bowling lanes on the Gem when we were on in November. Just an FYI about the library - it is pretty busy in there. The only ship computers for internet access are in the library and there are only 3 of them so there was often a wait.

Have a great cruise.

that's what i thought. thanks! don't think i'll be spending a lot of time inside, except maybe on the way down and back. a computer is the last thing i want to see for ten days. :)

We leave Thursday!!! We found resort day passes for St Marten online where we were able to reserve in advance. We checked out reviews on the boards here and trip advisor. Resort for a day was the website in case you are still thinking about options for the island.

checked that out...they don't show any availability. we are on the end of March sailing, and there are like 50 ships in port that day (4/4), so that's probably why. boo. have a great cruise!

While on the Gem if you just want to relax with a drink and music I would suggest you listen to Leo, he is very talented and can play a variety of music. We enjoyed him all four times we cruised the Gem including last November.

checked that out...they don't show any availability. we are on the end of March sailing, and there are like 50 ships in port that day (4/4), so that's probably why. boo. have a great cruise!

Sorry to hear!! Thank you! You have a great cruise too!!

While on the Gem if you just want to relax with a drink and music I would suggest you listen to Leo, he is very talented and can play a variety of music. We enjoyed him all four times we cruised the Gem including last November.

that sounds awesome. is he usually in one lounge or does he move around? will look for him!

just spent some time on the island forums and decided to taxi to sapphire beach on st Thomas, and decided to cancel our NCL excursion to the baths from tortola, and just do it ourselves. so much great info, thanks!

Keep in mind that the Gem does a very short visit to tortola - 7 a.m. til 1 p.m. Not trying to sell you an NCL excursion but if something happens and you are late getting back, the ship will not wait unless you are on one of their excursions. Last month I was on the Escape and we did leave a family of 4 on Tortola.

Keep in mind that the Gem does a very short visit to tortola - 7 a.m. til 1 p.m. Not trying to sell you an NCL excursion but if something happens and you are late getting back, the ship will not wait unless you are on one of their excursions. Last month I was on the Escape and we did leave a family of 4 on Tortola.

i am considering that. i haven't been able to get through on the excursion line to cancel yet, so maybe we'll sit with this for a while. it's already paid for, so...

i really wanted to do a resort day pass on st maarten, but everything is booked. we are there that day with a LOT of other ships. we'd like to do some beach access snorkeling, but not sure what would be good with that many people in port.

I discovered an amazing thing at Orient Beach, St. Maarten! When you get to the beach and look straight out you see an island that's not too far out. We paid 15 bucks a piece and were taken out there by jet ski. We told the guy to pick us up in 3 hours and he was right on time. The snorkeling was amazing and we did it sans clothing because there was absolutely no one around. Just make sure you put sunblock on your butt! We could only bring our snorkeling gear and a small bag with snacks and drinks-everything will get wet getting on and off the jet ski. The beach has a cool cave too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forumsc10ebb4ce77242c0a2487f97336195d0.jpg

We just booked this today for our April 8th gem cruise. Sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

woot! thanks! i did not know about the island boards, i will go check that out, what a great tip!

i have heard of the nude beach, that's not a problem for my son, he will probably think it's hilarious. we're not weird about that, i just don't want to be the one nude, thanks. ;)

i have read such varied things about trunk bay, and the boat ride over to it. i want to do some good, from-the-beach snorkeling. we took a disastrous catamaran trip to stingray city on our DCL trip in Grand Cayman. they took us out in a storm, it was terrifying. we'd be fine taking a larger boat to a beach, but we'd never try to do anything off the side of a smaller boat again. just thinking about it makes me uncomfortable.

looking forward to checking out those places on the ship. thanks!

We also just booked ocean park beach break in San Juan for our April cruise it's $45 pp (adults) kids have lower prices. It includes 6 drinks, lunch, beach chairs and umbrellas. Transport is $5 extra

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app