Annoyed by Anytime Dining taking reservations and wait times once seated

ChiBearsSuperFan

I might eat at 6pm sometimes or 7.30pm sometimes. But the main reason I pick ATD is to have flexibility especially on port days. I have no desire to rush back to the ship if we have a later port time. Food is not the priority for me in those cases; the port is.

Reservations for ATD dont have to be made for the same time every night :-)

I like the food:cool:

Maybe I had heard faulty information? I was told by a travel agent that table choice for TD is limited, and that higher level loyalty club members get dibs while new customers will probably be stuck sharing with strangers since the "tables for 2" are in higher demand. That's why we booked AD. I figured we'd have to "level up" to have our preferred table choice.

Not true. You can get a table for two upon request and if you are willing to wait for a two-top to become available

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is only our second cruise ever (Majestic Princess 4/9-4/16), celebrating our 30th anniversary. We reserved ATD as we thought it would give us more flexibility. Reading these posts makes me wonder, (and chuckle...floating rest home. LOL). I am going into it with a totally open mind however, as I promised my wife not to crab about anything to make it her best trip ever. So if we have to wait sometimes...so be it. We probably won't starve right? Can't you get hors d'oeuvres somewhere if needed if there is a wait? We are just excited to be able to do this...can't wait!!! Now I just have to figure out shore excursions and everything else....first world problems.

• 4 months later...
You do know that you can book traditional dining just for your own table. You do not have to share with strangers. You can get a table for 2, 4, 6, or whatever you need.

i have a question about this. are the 2 tops so jammed together that you may as well be dining with others? on another line i've seen this and you cannot even fit between the 2 tables to get in your seat. you come from behind to get in the 'middle' seat.

i have a question about this. are the 2 tops so jammed together that you may as well be dining with others? on another line i've seen this and you cannot even fit between the 2 tables to get in your seat. you come from behind to get in the 'middle' seat.

They are far enough away that you are not forced to make conversation, but close enough that you can if you choose to. Can get in and out of the far seat without an issue.

We had TD on our last cruise and had chosen a table for 2; we were alone on a table for 4. Great.

However there were parts of the MDR where two couples were on a large table for 4 and only separated by a 'glass' partition. They could be either separate or communicative as they felt at the time.

There should be no reservations for Anytime Dining. When they accept reservations for 6:30 or 7:00, the table stays empty from opening until the reservation time. Meanwhile others are waiting outside to be seated.

There should be no reservations for Anytime Dining. When they accept reservations for 6:30 or 7:00, the table stays empty from opening until the reservation time. Meanwhile others are waiting outside to be seated.

Concur totally

Concur totally

...except they don't accept reservations for 6:30-7:00 for that exact reason. Reservations are taken for early and later times--typically 5:30-6:00, and then 7:30 and thereafter. These are the times that the people begin to arrive when the MDR first opens, and again when the first wave leaves and gets replaced by the second wave. All the reservation does is remove someone out of the line who might have queued up at 4:30 and offer them the same table that they would have gotten had they been in the line. It is a win-win to take the reservation. The passenger does not have to kill time in a line and can be elsewhere on the ship (spending money), and the line doesn't have to be so long and unsightly. No downside at all.

Compare it to a "wristband" line. People arrive at 4:30 and begin to form a line. A crew member greets people and hands them a numbered wristband. First party gets #1. Second party gets #2, etc. Crew member tells them that they do not have to wait in line. Just return at 5:30 when the MDR opens and you will be seated in the order of the number of your wristband. People are then free to enjoy themselves instead of wasting time in a line. No one would complain about such a system. It is fair and equitable. All the reservation system changes is when you get your "number" and how you get your number. Instead of showing up at 4:30 to get a physical wristband, you call at 8:00 and get your name on a list. The system really does work. Princess hates seeing long lines as much as you do.

They are far enough away that you are not forced to make conversation, but close enough that you can if you choose to. Can get in and out of the far seat without an issue.

Exactly. :cool: That table for 2 to me denotes that I don't wish to have a conversation about your kids or what kind of a day it was at the beach.

Other than a quick polite smile & hello, it ends there.

If I wanted a large table with all the chatter I would have chosen it to begin with.

Also - put an end to all reservations in the anytime DR. It slows down the whole DR except for a chosen group that think it so special.

If you really need that table waiting, choose traditional and leave the AT DR to people who stand on line. We'll all be happier.

No. You can pass between the tables.

Or you can request a 4 top square table set for 2.

When I first started cruising I too was irked about people who reserved getting into the MDR first. Then I just found out what the rules are and just playing the reservations game myself. It is just part of cruising. Actually you can only get a reservation up to 6:00 and after 7:30 on most ships. And you have to reserve that day. Some ships let you reserve two days in advance. If you choose to dine between 6:00 and 7:30 you are on your own.

There should be no reservations, period!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree. The 2-tops are close together, but is is reasonably easy to get in and out of one's seat. Some privacy but not a lot.

There should be no reservations, period!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Princess position is that ATD is similar to a land based restaurant. In many land based restaurants you can walk in anytime you like, or you can call ahead and make reservations. I don't feel it is unreasonable to accept limited reservations for specific times like Princess does. The normal reservation times are 5:30, 5:45, 7:30 & 7:45. In our experience we never had any difficulty getting seated if we chose to dine 7:30 or later, thus we never have had to make a reservations for late dining. Sometimes it is crowded during the early times and reservations can be helpful. Each cruise is different.

Priority traditional and anytime dining reservations was a perk for suites - not for elite. I don't believe there are enough suite passengers to make a large difference in availability for others. This priority is no longer listed on the suite amenities list - probably because it is replaced by Club Class dining.

I didn't know about this change for suite guests. Is this policy fleetwide?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Interesting thread -- as a first-time cruiser, I am really worried. When we booked the cruise, we were told that all the TD was full, so we were assigned ATD. I guess ATD starts at 5:30PM.

It's fine for us to have dinner at 5:30 PM.

Question - Sounds as if we need a reservation for 5:30 PM just as soon as we board the first day. How EXACTLY do we make the reservation?? Do we walk over to the ATD room and speak to the MD in person? Is there a phone number to call? If so, does anyone know the phone number??

I am really worried, because when we get on board, there won't be enough time to read the Princess Patter to find out how to make an AD reservation for 5:30 PM.:(

We could go line up at 4:45 PM to wait until 5:30PM, but even then, there's no guarantee of being seated.

My spouse gets too hungry if he's required to wait until 9 PM for dinner.

I feel sad, :(because everyone else knows how to "game" the system to be seated in time. On the first night aboard, I don't have time to figure out how to make the necessary reservation for ATD at 5:30 PM. I don't even know which DR on the Emerald is designated AD. :rolleyes: Does anyone know the answer to these questions? Thanks in advance, from EBC.

Interesting thread -- as a first-time cruiser, I am really worried. When we booked the cruise, we were told that all the TD was full, so we were assigned ATD. I guess ATD starts at 5:30PM.

It's fine for us to have dinner at 5:30 PM.

Question - Sounds as if we need a reservation for 5:30 PM just as soon as we board the first day. How EXACTLY do we make the reservation?? Do we walk over to the ATD room and speak to the MD in person? Is there a phone number to call? If so, does anyone know the phone number??

I am really worried, because when we get on board, there won't be enough time to read the Princess Patter to find out how to make an AD reservation for 5:30 PM.:(

We could go line up at 4:45 PM to wait until 5:30PM, but even then, there's no guarantee of being seated.

My spouse gets too hungry if he's required to wait until 9 PM for dinner.

I feel sad, :(because everyone else knows how to "game" the system to be seated in time. On the first night aboard, I don't have time to figure out how to make the necessary reservation for ATD at 5:30 PM. I don't even know which DR on the Emerald is designated AD. :rolleyes: Does anyone know the answer to these questions? Thanks in advance, from EBC.

Call the DINE line from your cabin phone.

I wouldn't worry so much. Go onboard and show up when you want to eat. If there is a wait grab a drink and relax. It won't be long.

You are on vacation. You will not go hungry.

Call the DINE line from your cabin phone.

I wouldn't worry so much. Go onboard and show up when you want to eat. If there is a wait grab a drink and relax. It won't be long.

You are on vacation. You will not go hungry.

Thank you! :)

I pick up the cabin phone and dial D-I-N-E, correct?

That would be extension

3-4-6-3 on a regular phone.

This cruise is booked completely full- not a single cabin remaining, and the wait time for meals is going to be long. Especially if the reserved seating traditional diners suddenly switch to AD without telling anyone.

I think that passengers who signed up for TD should stay in traditional dining, unless they relinquish their TD booking ahead of time.

It's not fair for the TD people to ask the crew to hold their place at their regularly assigned table and then ask for a table in ATD. That's what causes the wait, IMO.

That would be extension

This cruise is booked completely full- not a single cabin remaining, and the wait time for meals is going to be long. Especially if the reserved seating traditional diners suddenly switch to AD without telling anyone.

I think that passengers who signed up for TD should stay in traditional dining, unless they relinquish their TD booking ahead of time.

It's not fair for the TD people to ask the crew to hold their place at their regularly assigned table and then ask for a table in ATD. That's what causes the wait, IMO.

Yes, you can dial D-I-N-E, or there is a call button for dining (or at least there was one on my cabin phone).

And really, really don't panic about this. I just got off of a full cruise and the worst we had was a half hour wait once, and that's only because we insisted on a table for two, not a shared table.

If your husband gets too hungry for dinner at eight (say, that sounds musical), he can always grab a snack at the buffet (Horizon Court) or the International Cafe. Except for the muster drill, there really isn't a time when food isn't available somewhere.

That would be extension

As stated there is a designated DINE line button on the phone. ;)

While you are waiting for a DR table head up to the HC and grab a bite to eat. :o