Annoying Passengers - A waiter's perspective

rambollet

The other pax at my table. This IS the reason we book two top tables, to avoid inconsiderate dolts like some of thses poaters.

So, you sit at a two-top with your companion, correct? Then for the life of me I don't understand why it bothers you if someone at a table that you're not even sitting at takes a photo of their food. For goodness sake pay attention to your own table and not other tables. I don't pay attention to other tables, I'm too busy enjoying my own dining companions. What someone else does at their own table is their own business, not yours.

You're the one who always seems to imply "violence". I'll do whatever means at my disposal, including security to have an offender removed. Now if someone got physical with me, what would you suggest? I roll over & beg forgiveness? Sorry, but If I'm physically assaulted(or you were)I would think self defense would be in order. Security may not arrive fast enough. It's doubtful it would ever come to that. However, do check Youtube & click on cruise ship fights. It can get interesting.

Who said anything about getting physical with you? *scratching my head over that one for sure* If anyone said anything about physically assaulting you, I guess I missed that.

I still don't understand why you get so bent out of shape over someone else taking photos of their food on their own plate. If you get upset about little things like that, what happens when something REALLY important happens??? Yikes!

I would have told the food junkie that any more pictures of MY food would result in testing whether his camera was waterproof. Being polite is one thing. Being polite to go along w intrusive idiots is beyond the pale.

DON

The younger couple looked like rookies and I think were trying to be tolerant/respectful of their elders.

Since I am an elder (almost) there is no need for me to be tollerant of these sorts. I'm with you, either I'd test how waterproof the offending camera/smartphone was or I just tell the snap happy idiots to cease and desist their offensive behavior.

Vandalism is just as much lowering one's self to the level you consider to be unacceptably base as any other aggressive action against those who annoy you.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

So, you sit at a two-top with your companion, correct? Then for the life of me I don't understand why it bothers you if someone at a table that you're not even sitting at takes a photo of their food. For goodness sake pay attention to your own table and not other tables. I don't pay attention to other tables, I'm too busy enjoying my own dining companions. What someone else does at their own table is their own business, not yours.

Who said anything about getting physical with you? *scratching my head over that one for sure* If anyone said anything about physically assaulting you, I guess I missed that. .,,,,,

This post is correct in more than one way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yvonne didn't say anything about flashes. It seems you're making a lot of assumptions both about what people are saying and about the people that you're conversing with.

You are talking about mutual consideration, I think we all can get behind that, but here you are violating the rules of these boards by calling other people "dolts". How do you reconcile the two?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I'm only "Violating" ground rules if I call a specific poster a dolt, which I have NOT done. Dolt is also a pretty lame insult when you really get around it.

But how is it consideration for others? It seems like you're applying standards to the actions of others that you refuse to apply to your own actions. Given that, why should anyone give any credence to anything you post?

The cruise lines' answer to every special request in the dining room seemed to be to bring her and her husband another plate, protein plus sides, even if all they wanted was just one of the sides. It made it seem that the kitchen was aiming to just produce a thousand exact copies of each plate and then bring passengers as many plates as necessary to satisfy their requests.

On another cruise line, rather than disturb the pattern in the galley (as well as take the extra time by the waitstaff to wait for the special request to be ready), the waiter would take the plate with the sides and before putting in the table, take off the unwanted sides.

The only place where a cell phone is a NECESSITY is a transplant surgeon who is waiting for an organ to become available (or other life-or-death situation). Most times those talking on the phone are carrying on a 'chat' which could easily be paused to interact with the person (who is helping them).

We have become a self-absorbed society.....and that is sad. Moral of this thread.....be nice to one another!!!

I wonder how long it would be before you got annoyed at being unable to contact someone if all cell phones just disappeared one day? :)

I wonder how long it would be before you got annoyed at being unable to contact someone if all cell phones just disappeared one day? :)

If all cell phones just disappeared one day, I'd use a land line and voice mail. Did it for many years and it worked just fine! It would be a LOOOOOONG time before *I* got annoyed!!

I don't feel the need to be at anyone's beckon call at all times. Even my Millennial kids screen calls and respond back when they have the time.....no texting and driving, no jumping at every ring of the phone. The phone serves me, not the other way around!

Agreed! I don't think the article is correct/appropriate on many levels.....grammar being among them! (but then again.....I'm not the epitome of grammar/spelling myself!! ;p)

Quite true! We all occasionally make mistakes in spelling or grammar, but when it is so bad as to be unintelligible, it's time to address the problem. Unfortunately, you run a high risk of having your post deleted. Are we still allowed to suggest or insist on the use of Spell Check?

Glad to see we've moved on from waste and gluttony to cell phone etiquette and food photos. Let me just say that dining on a ship if very different than a land based restaurant. The appetizers, entrees and even desserts are usually smaller than at a land based restaurant...and lately they've gotten even smaller. Also, I'm seldom at a land based restaurant where we would be at the mercy of the restaurant for a special cake/dessert. We can bring a special cake from a bakery to the restaurant for a birthday celebration. You can't really do that on a cruise so you have to depend on the cruise ship providing something. On one cruise, we were celebrating one of our family members graduating from high school, another one getting her Masters. The cruise was to celebrate both these occasions. On another cruise, we were celebrating two family member's birthdays that occurred in the same month. Since we live in different states, we delayed the celebrations until we could all be together on the cruise, so NO...we weren't celebrating it on the exact date, but it was a birthday celebration. As far as photos, we've been on cruises where the ship's photographer's have interrupted our dinner requesting to take photos. An interruption even after saying "no thank you" when he insisted. We've found that being polite takes about one minute out of our meal. We get a table for our family. We've shared breakfast with others and had a man at the table talk horribly to the waitstaff, correcting their English, of all things. They were very rude and the waiter was so nice and apologetic to this man. We reported this man's behavior to the Head Waiter. I wanted to make sure that the waiter and Head Waiter knew that the passenger was at fault in case the passenger and not the waiter. My Grandson took a friend on our last cruise. This was his friend's first cruise and she wanted photos of her food. It was no big deal for us to have her taking photos of the dishes. We're just very laid back, I guess. I don't sweat what anyone else wears to the MDR, I don't care if they take photos of their food at the table next to us. I DO try to make it as easy as possible for the waiters by telling them we might order multiple appetizers or entrees and we realize that the dishes are pre-plated so we don't ask them to remove items. We realize that asking for multiple entrees are more labor intensive and we always tip our waiters extra on top of the auto-grats.

I will date myself here, however, before cell phones you had to locate a pay phone if you needed to call someone. Phone calls had a purpose and were to the point unless you were calling from home. Now with cell phones it seems that every little mind fart needs to be shared globally and immediately. It's really ridiculous. I have a cell phone, mostly so that I can receive business email from court or track a client down if necessary. I almost never pick up voicemail unless it is from family member. The funny thing is that almost everything seems to resolve itself or can wait until I return.

I will date myself here, however, before cell phones you had to locate a pay phone if you needed to call someone. Phone calls had a purpose and were to the point unless you were calling from home. Now with cell phones it seems that every little mind fart needs to be shared globally and immediately. It's really ridiculous. I have a cell phone, mostly so that I can receive business email from court or track a client down if necessary. I almost never pick up voicemail unless it is from family member. The funny thing is that almost everything seems to resolve itself or can wait until I return.

I will date myself as well and remember back when we had home phones that were on a party line with others! :)

My first cell phone was a "bag phone" for the car only. Sometimes I wish cell phones went back to that. For some people (not all!) they are at the person's ear every waking moment. I often wonder what those types of people find to talk about for so long. One thing I truly love about a cruise is the cell phones go into the safe and we don't use them, except take them with us when we get off the ship in port and check in with family.

If all cell phones just disappeared one day, I'd use a land line and voice mail.
The telephone is so offensive a device to me that we have turned off the ringers, so I would be inclined not to switch back to land lines and voice mail were messaging to go away. Having been spoiled by the toaster features of messaging, should the means to do so go away, I'd do without. People would have to learn to contact me by email, by US mail, or wait to see me in person. Or I'll lead a much less interfered-with life, so I can focus more on my exclusively in-person relationships.

That works for you but not others.

I've found that some people talk too much and say whatever Trivia is on their minds. I can't stop that. They don't need a phone for it. How can I stop that? I'd rather they took photos on their phone. You don't see much phone talking on cruises anyway but some people still talk too much.

I do this when I find more than one appetizer that appeals to me. I figure if I order 2 appetizers (or even 3 apps if both soup and salad look appealing, and one more tasty app selection) there is no room for an entrée, and I often skip dessert. I find the desserts usually look much better than they taste, but I do favor a nice crème brulee.

I agree about the crème brulee!

I force myself to be patient with other Travelers and I know that I do something stupid once in awhile but the ONE thing I just can't be patient with is people that get in The Buffet Line (which we use a lot because we are not on the cruise to spend hours dining) and they hold 35 people up by taking forever to decide if they want this item and take a step and take forever for the next item. If they are not sure if they want carrots or green beans they should go to the back of the line and use that 20 minutes to figure out which one they want or call a family member back home for some advice. Very annoying and inconsiderate, maybe it's because of my Army Days but I always try to be considering of the other hungry people in line behind me so I move with a purpose.

Agree, what irritates me is while dining, others receive a call on their cell in the middle of somebody's sentence and everything stops, except the call. One of the things we enjoy about cruising is the relative lack of instant communication from electronic devices. It is great for people to enjoy socializing like we did pre-cell.

I force myself to be patient with other Travelers and I know that I do something stupid once in awhile but the ONE thing I just can't be patient with is people that get in The Buffet Line (which we use a lot because we are not on the cruise to spend hours dining) and they hold 35 people up by taking forever to decide if they want this item and take a step and take forever for the next item. If they are not sure if they want carrots or green beans they should go to the back of the line and use that 20 minutes to figure out which one they want or call a family member back home for some advice. Very annoying and inconsiderate, maybe it's because of my Army Days but I always try to be considering of the other hungry people in line behind me so I move with a purpose.

Agree. There are times that people avoid the buffet because of the slow-moving line, and not of the food quality.