Upgrade fairy

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything specifically around this question.

Based on the experiences of those of you who have had interactions with the elusive upgrade fairy, do you think it makes a difference if you book directly with RC vs. with a TA?

I am not holding my breath as I have read these interactions are very rare and I know my upcoming Harmony cruise is pretty much sold out, but I was just curious as I usually book through a TA for OBC/Gift Cards.

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad I searched and found this thread. I was also wondering if it matters if the booking is through RCL or TA for upgrades since RCCL's FAQ shows they contact the passengers email when an upgrade is offered. We have always booked a specific cabin in the past that is no longer available for 2 people and had our upgrade profile set to no upgrade. Since that cabin is no longer available for 2, we booked an everyday run of the mill side E3 and set our preference to automatic upgrade with hope for some kind of upgrade.

Have been upgraded 4 or 5 times and always booked with a TA. Also, never received an email or phone call from RCCL asking if I wanted the upgrade or informing me of the upgrade. Just happened to notice the upgrade when checking my booking on My Cruises on line.

Carla

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything specifically around this question.

Based on the experiences of those of you who have had interactions with the elusive upgrade fairy, do you think it makes a difference if you book directly with RC vs. with a TA?

I am not holding my breath as I have read these interactions are very rare and I know my upcoming Harmony cruise is pretty much sold out, but I was just curious as I usually book through a TA for OBC/Gift Cards.

Have been upgraded three times over the years, never use a travel agent....K.O.:D

Are we talking about free upgrades? Do first time cruisers ever get them?

We've received only one upgrade on our first cruise on Holland America. Free upgrade from OV to balcony. It was to Alaska and we were really happy to have it even though it was too cold to use it much. Worked with us as we never booked anything less after that. We used a TA. Didn't find out until we checked in.

Are we talking about free upgrades? Do first time cruisers ever get them?

Upgrades are rare anymore. However, if the Revenue Department sees an opportunity to move someone up, they can choose first time cruisers.