Passport and 15 year old help

jaee901

no, but if she misses the ship for any reason she will nto have a way to get home. i never cruise without my passport. i heard a story of a lady who broke her leg in port on a moped, had no passport, and was stuck in bermuda for 3 weeks (at her expense) waiting for a ship with an empty cabin that could take her back.

Does my 15 year old daughter need a passport for our Norwegian Breakaway Cruise out of NY to Bermuda? It's a closed loop. Thanks!

IF your DD is a US Citizen, she can travel with her birth certificate. Consult with NCL on whether a second form of ID is needed for a child of her age. IF your DD is not a US Citizen, she will need a passport.

no, but if she misses the ship for any reason she will nto have a way to get home. i never cruise without my passport. i heard a story of a lady who broke her leg in port on a moped, had no passport, and was stuck in bermuda for 3 weeks (at her expense) waiting for a ship with an empty cabin that could take her back.

Well that was ridiculous

Methinks the reason she had to wait 3 weeks was because she was severely injured but I do hope she had trip insurance because that would have covered her costs

So....if she waited 3 weeks at her own expense..which I don't believe...and if those 3 weeks were NOT related to her injury...then she is rather ignorant

Because the cost of arranging for a passport while in Bermuda and jumping through all the hoops with the US embassy would have taken 5 days at most accounting for a weekend in there and perhaps $1000 max...which would have been covered under the trip interruption and/or medical portion of insurance

3 weeks at a hotel in Bermuda is ridiculous and I call BS on this ....

She was probably hospitalized and couldn't get to the embassy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does my 15 year old daughter need a passport for our Norwegian Breakaway Cruise out of NY to Bermuda? It's a closed loop.

Thanks!

No she won't need a pp if she is a US citizen...but if her dad is not cruising with you you might need a note from him

Fwiw...since you don't have a pp for her now I suggest you wait to get one until she is 16...less hassle and it lasts 10 years versus 5 years

As for missing the ship...that's highly unlikely but I never cruise with out insurance so in the unlikely event of injury you are covered. It will take some work to be able to fly back without a pp but it can be done

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IF your DD is a US Citizen, she can travel with her birth certificate. Consult with NCL on whether a second form of ID is needed for a child of her age. IF your DD is not a US Citizen, she will need a passport.

Exactly!

i heard a story of a lady who broke her leg in port on a moped, had no passport, and was stuck in bermuda for 3 weeks (at her expense) waiting for a ship with an empty cabin that could take her back.
I agree that story is weird, since she certainly had options to get home much faster and more cheaply if that was her only goal. If it was her choice to return by sea, that's another thing, but then she would have been stuck waiting for 3 weeks even if she had 10 passports.

We live in NY...one of the states that offers the 'Enhanced' drivers license. NY also offers an 'Enhanced Non-Driver ID' (for minors and non-drivers) ....the enhanced document is good for land and sea travel but not for flying to/from other countries...

Essentially, a minor can travel with both parents with just a bc....If a minor is traveling out of the country without both parents, they will need a notarized letter of permission from both parents or the one parent that is not traveling...(permission to take the minor out of the country)

I'm not sure if this rule holds for closed loop cruises (starting and ending in the US)...probably not since anyone can sail on a closed loop US cruise with just a drivers license and birth certificate....(not recommended, but yes you can)...

If you go to dmv dot org, and search for enhanced drivers license, you can see which states offer it....

In NY, an enhanced NDID (non-driver) will cost you about $40...(and the kids love having them!)

Children's passports are good for five years because they change so much in that time. To me it was worth paying for a passport for dgd.

We are cruising Alaska, Canada requires a passport & letter from non-traveling parent(s).

Best to check with the cruise line and country.

Sent from my iPad using Forums