Tell me why you love NCL Sun

amydandrea

My DH and I are considering a forward penthouse on the Sun for the big 5 0 next March. Specifically 8202 or 9202. Anyone have experience on this ship you care to share or the suites I'm considering? I've done Gem, Epic, and Breakaway I know this is a smaller ship which I am happy to give a whirl..love to hear feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are booked on the Sun for a BtoB around South America and back through the Panama Canal to Miami. We usually go for the forward-facing suites and have had the two largest ones on the Getaway in the past. Yes, facing forward is IMO WORTH IT. For our own Sun cruises we actually decided to face the rear for a change but I think you definitely need to go for what you want and I suspect you will not regret it.

I can't speak to Suites, but the Sun is my second favorite ship. She's lovely, perfectly sized, and had one of the best and friendliest crews I've ever experienced! I saw a mention of the food - very true, the food was fabulous as well. She's absolutely wonderful!

Love the Sun and have been in a forward suite. It is great in ports. But when cruising the doors need to be shut and the balcony is off limits. More bang for your buck with an aft facing suite. I love the great outdoors on the aft. Beautiful.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

I have to disagree about the balcony being off limits and for that matter having to keep the door shut. You only have to shut the door to the balcony when you open the door to the corridor - well you don't have to but it creates quite a wind tunnel if you don't. We sailed in both of the forward facing balcony staterooms on Sun (best ones in the fleet!) and spent lots of time on the balconies while underway.

The one drawback to the suites you are looking at is that they are below the bridge and it is my understanding that you have to keep your balcony light off (presuming they even have one) and your curtains closed at night so as not to interfere with the bridge's sight. That wasn't an issue on Deck 11 which is above the bridge. In addition to the two balconies, there are also two mini suites you might want to consider if you don't have to have a butler and the other suite privileges....and of course there are two Owner's Suites - presumably more expensive than what you are considering but they are truly huge.

We love the Sun for all the reasons others have stated and for The Great Outdoors - our favorite place for breakfast and lunch....and just sitting enjoying the day on those cruises when we didn't splurge on a bow facing or stern facing balcony.....oh, the minis on the stern are also huge as are the suites. The balcony stateroom is slightly smaller than others aboard but it has a large balcony.....not like the ones on the bow but still big enough for a chaise and two sidechairs. (The bow facing ones come with two of each chair and there is still enough room that we had 35 for our sailaway under the Golden Gate near the end of our Panama Canal cruise.

Have a great time!

I just got off Epic a week ago in a Haven Owner's suite. Loved it. But it is just my second favorite cruise. My favorite was my Sourh American cruise in an aft PH on the Sun. Of course I am partial to those suites. Sailed in 9076 twice and the suite and balcony were fantastic.

Love the crew, intimacy of the smaller ship. The suite breakfast and lunch in Il Adagio. Loved the great outdoors restaurant and the forward onservation deck.

Loved that I did not have to go up 12 floors in an elevator and hike from the Haven to the spa like on Epic. Everything was close. And I kept running into the same new friends.

I was on the Jewel in 2015 and the Sun was in the same port. I saw it and wished I was on it instead!!!

I cannot wait for another.

Just hope Brian Walters, HD Is still on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the forward facing suites, how usable are they while in motion?

I'd have thought their balconies would be extremely windy.

Close the cabin (exit) door then open the (hatch) door to the balcony is recommended to reduce the impact of the wind tunnel effect.

Even more so if the direction of travel is into the wind.

While on the balcony suggest closing the hatch door to the cabin interior least you have a visit from someone and everything is blown around within the cabin.

At night dim the lights in the cabin - no balcony light - and open the curtains for a moonlight excursion.

The last few feet of the balcony are visible from above and the bridge.

Drawback is during the rain in Spain the balcony is not usable unless taking a shower - but beware the Bridge View !

The Observation Lounge on Deck 12 can be dicey when heading into the wind - the slanted windscreen helps

to reduce the flow but hang onto your hats and head gear.

For the forward facing suites, how usable are they while in motion?

I'd have thought their balconies would be extremely windy.

Obviously depends on ship speed, wind direction, etc. but we never had a significant issue in enjoying being on the balcony. During our round the horn trip, when we were in one Sun's stern facing balconies, we got much greater use than our friends who were in one of the bow facing suites, but that was more related to the wind CHILL, during the cold days when we were very far south. On our day sailing among the glaciers on the Beagle Channel, we started on their balcony but ended up coming to ours to stay warm.

I am also one who would vote for an aft cabin/suite. We spent 2 weeks on the Sun back in October doing a full transit of the Panama Canal. Loved the ship! Perfect size, not too big and not too small. And probably the best crew we've experienced on any cruise. Just wonderful.

We had an aft mini suite and it was incredible! Best cabin we've ever been in on any cruise. Great size, huge balcony (enough room for 2 lounger chairs, 2 regular chairs and 2 tables), very large bathroom with a full size tub. And no wind to contend with on the aft which may be an issue in the forward suites. We were able to spend so much time on our balcony. And what a location for going through the Panama Canal. And of course, seeing all the beautiful colors in the wake from the aft part of the ship. I so miss it. Enjoy your cruise.

ry%3D400

I am also one who would vote for an aft cabin/suite. We spent 2 weeks on the Sun back in October doing a full transit of the Panama Canal. Loved the ship! Perfect size, not too big and not too small. And probably the best crew we've experienced on any cruise. Just wonderful.

We had an aft mini suite and it was incredible! Best cabin we've ever been in on any cruise. Great size, huge balcony (enough room for 2 lounger chairs, 2 regular chairs and 2 tables), very large bathroom with a full size tub. And no wind to contend with on the aft which may be an issue in the forward suites. We were able to spend so much time on our balcony. And what a location for going through the Panama Canal. And of course, seeing all the beautiful colors in the wake from the aft part of the ship. I so miss it. Enjoy your cruise.

ry%3D400

And it is so mystical and magical on the aft balcony at night. Nothing else like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums