will the Solstice class ships be "Edge-ized"?

Ox Fan Cruiser

I bet that they will wait a year and see what works and then do refits in dry-docks starting 2020 or 2021. I would expect to see the lawn club redone in the new format and replacing the least successful specialty restaurants/bars/public areas on the Solstice class with those getting the most buzz and business from the Edge class.

Greg

I bet that they will wait a year and see what works and then do refits in dry-docks starting 2020 or 2021. I would expect to see the lawn club redone in the new format and replacing the least successful specialty restaurants/bars/public areas on the Solstice class with those getting the most buzz and business from the Edge class.

Greg

Agree, when they did the M class ships it was basically money making areas, they would have to see what is popular on the new ships. Since we don't know what will be in those money making area, who knows what will happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if they redid the lawns to be similar to the new outdoor spaces, but I don't think they could do much else without a major dry dock.

That's what I was thinking as well. Currently, I feel there is a lot of open deck space wasted with the lawn. It was a unique concept but with all the clamouring for deck chairs and public open space, I think the space could be better utilized. The Edge's Rooftop Garden seems very versatile and could accommodate a larger number of people than the lawn ever does.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would doubt that X will refit S Class ships with E features. They've made it very clear that this ship design is unique and individual. Changing the existing fleet would make it all too homogeneous. X wants E class ships to stand out and be worth the premium price.

p.s. - When we were recently on Silhouette, Sushi on 5 was very popular. Just my observation.

I was thinking more along the lines of room décor. Not the glass French doors and upper glass at the veranda's edge.

I'm curious to what the new "ocean view" veranda's edge will look like in person. I was exited when first viewing it online(and the larger room feel with it all part of the state room), but think it will feel much darker and closed in when using it as a "balcony"...It really looks like it is a very large "ocean view" room with an opening window.

Maybe it will be different in person?

That's what I was thinking as well. Currently, I feel there is a lot of open deck space wasted with the lawn. It was a unique concept but with all the clamouring for deck chairs and public open space, I think the space could be better utilized. The Edge's Rooftop Garden seems very versatile and could accommodate a larger number of people than the lawn ever does.

Guess you've never gone up to the Lawn at night and feel how the night sky opens up to you above the rest of the ship. Just magnificent.

Guess you've never gone up to the Lawn at night and feel how the night sky opens up to you above the rest of the ship. Just magnificent.

Agree. The lawn area is one of the best areas to relax in, both daytime and nighttime. One of my favorite areas on any cruise ship.

Actually I have - was just up there a few weeks ago and frankly, there wasn't a soul around. We were the only people up there several times in the evening. I think something that attracted more people and had the capacity to generate revenue would be a smarter choice for the cruise line. We did a wine tasting on the lawn once and it was nice, but they seldom seem to offer many activities up there. Often, large areas of the lawn are "resting" and off limits.

It just seems like a large space that could be better utilized, particularly when you see how crowded the pool deck is. What they really need, in my opinion, is more deck chairs and, if not a pool, at least some of those misters that people could cool off in.

I hope not!! I really like the style and decor of the S class and to be honest, not entirely sold on some of the Edge "innovations"! Plus there's so much we don't know yet about how the new ships will be laid out and whether all of the changes will be for the better. Let me keep my Solstice ships intact!

The 'Solsticization' of M-class was a great success [at least in my opinion, since I wasn't that familiar with M-class before the changes]. But if they try to 'Edge-icize' the existing ships, I'm afraid they will ruin them. The two things I'm most afraid they will do to the S-class ships are: remove the Hot Glass Show on Eclipse, Equinox and Solstice; and restrict public outdoor areas to create a Retreat for suite guests. As much as I look forward to the Retreat on Edge as a suite passenger, I would hate to see S-class (and M-class, although that's even harder for me to imagine) ruined in this way. Let each ship class keep its distinct flavor [they should have thought of this before the recent move to strip out the beautiful heritage restaurants on M-class].

The 'Solsticization' of M-class was a great success [at least in my opinion, since I wasn't that familiar with M-class before the changes]. But if they try to 'Edge-icize' the existing ships, I'm afraid they will ruin them. The two things I'm most afraid they will do to the S-class ships are: remove the Hot Glass Show on Eclipse, Equinox and Solstice; and restrict public outdoor areas to create a Retreat for suite guests. As much as I look forward to the Retreat on Edge as a suite passenger, I would hate to see S-class (and M-class, although that's even harder for me to imagine) ruined in this way. Let each ship class keep its distinct flavor [they should have thought of this before the recent move to strip out the beautiful heritage restaurants on M-class].

I agree Jazzbeau! I'm so sorry to learn they've replaced the Olympic on Millennium, as well as the other heritage restaurants. I don't understand why ships (or ship classes) can't have individuality.

I'm curious to what the new "ocean view" veranda's edge will look like in person. I was exited when first viewing it online(and the larger room feel with it all part of the state room), but think it will feel much darker and closed in when using it as a "balcony"...It really looks like it is a very large "ocean view" room with an opening window.

Maybe it will be different in person?

I feel exactly the same ! :(

My husband keeps saying he thinks it will be open and sunny but I really don't see that - just two very high metal walls that will block more sun than the existing balcony configuration.

I really hope we're both wrong.

• 1 month later...

Jazz- I think Celebrity will tend to be very modest with the changes to the highly successful S-class. My guess is that there will be Edge-like changes on S-Class over time that can only be accommodated in their future 2-week dry docks after Edge is launched and customer experience and feedback starts coming back to them. Perhaps new restaurant and bar choices. Maybe behind the scenes electronics and communication updates like cabin TV systems or ship-wide aps on wrist-bands (like RCL) or even more likely useful aps on your own phones. I do not think they will rearrange spaces like Luminae and MC and put them all in a suite haven area. That would be very costly and would generate a lot of negative feedback from non-suite passengers. The biggest change on M-Class was the elimination of their unique specialty restaurants for Tuscan Grill. That was an unpopular change and hopefully they will not make such a mistake again.

The biggest change on M-Class was the elimination of their unique specialty restaurants for Tuscan Grill. That was an unpopular change and hopefully they will not make such a mistake again.

Sadly, Celebrity had plenty of time to see the unpopularity before persevering through all 4 ships. I think they judge popularity in a different way than you or I: if the revenue from Tuscan Grille is higher than before and/or if the costs of Tuscan Grille are lower than before -- it's a success to Celebrity, no matter how many people complain on Cruise Critic. :(

Well as you are probably now aware Celebrity announced the changes coming to Constellation in her upcoming Dry Dock. We sail on her June 5th. Ocean Liners will be replaced as expected but with Qsine in that space plus more cabins. TG will stay where it is. Adding Rooftop Terrace. Of interest to this thread, the Mast Grill is being replaced with a new dining venue, the Top Deck Burger Bar, which will now charge for what was previously free. It is very likely that Edge will have this change as well. No more free burgers and hot dogs by the pool. So this is an Edge-class change coming to M-Class at least. This might possibly go fleet-wide.

Well as you are probably now aware Celebrity announced the changes coming to Constellation in her upcoming Dry Dock. We sail on her June 5th. Ocean Liners will be replaced as expected but with Qsine in that space plus more cabins. TG will stay where it is. Adding Rooftop Terrace. Of interest to this thread, the Mast Grill is being replaced with a new dining venue, the Top Deck Burger Bar, which will now charge for what was previously free. It is very likely that Edge will have this change as well. No more free burgers and hot dogs by the pool. So this is an Edge-class change coming to M-Class at least. This might possibly go fleet-wide.

I don´t understandthe discussion. On the deck plan there is a Mast Grill

https://www.celebritycruises.at/kreuzfahrt-schiffe/celebrity-edge.htm

The deck plan of Edge is subject to a lot of changes between now and launch. Perhaps it will have Mast Grill but the changes being made on Constellation switching Mast Grill to Top Deck Burger Bar will likely be part of Edge (just an educated guess at this point). The dining venues on Edge have not been announced yet.

• 4 months later...