Any RCCL loyal cruise on NCL?

We are looking to book a Summer 2018 European cruise and with RCCL still not releasing their itineraries we are strongly starting to consider NCL. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences to share. If you've been on Spirit or a similar class ship that would be greatly appreciated.

Should I wait or just book as we really like the itinerary we saw for NCL.

Thanks

We are looking to book a Summer 2018 European cruise and with RCCL still not releasing their itineraries we are strongly starting to consider NCL. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences to share. If you've been on Spirit or a similar class ship that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We just got back from a panama canal cruise on NCL Pearl. We were very pleasantly surprised!. The shows in the main theater could have used some work but overall we were impressed.

We did a 14 day Ultimate Med cruise on NCL Jade in July 2015. Prior to that I would have said I was definitely "loyal to Royal". But, when it came down to price & itinerary, NCL could not be beat. We felt like we would have been paying too much for the ship and it's amenities when really our focus for that cruise was on the ports of call.

We also had been waiting for the European RCCL itineraries to be released. In our case a Baltic in 2019. Looked at what RCCL was offering for 2018 and what NCL was already offering for 2019, and we booked NCL Breakaway.

Go ahead - ask me any questions you'd like. We visited 9 ports and started in Venice....

Lori

well, I was just on Escape and then Getaway on a B2B... and I had a BLAST! I think I preferred the getaway out of the two, because it was big (not as big as escape) but it had a small ship feel. The staff without exception would recognise you, smile and say hello on passing you, the food was wonderful (on both) and on Getaway you would see fellow cruisers around the ship... this didn't happen on Oasis or Anthem Few years ago, I went on the NCL spirit, which I really didn't like at all. tiny cabins, tiny bathrooms - food not great. but as compensation - an itinerary beyond compare. If that comes up again (for 2018) I will most likely jump on it!

my husband liked NCL because it showed lots of sport whereas none of the Royal ships ever have. Our next trip is Navigator so going back to Royal. I feel NCL and Royal are too much alike so would go on the one which had the best stops.

Yep and I had a blast. For the same price as an OV on RCI or Celebrity I got a balcony on Epic. Not a cabin I'd want to share because of the weird layout, but I'd happy book NCL again. Food was good, entertainment was good, in fact can't think of any downside at all.

We are currently booked on Spirit for 2018 but also waiting to see what RCCL is going to do in regards to a British Isles itinerary which was always our first choice. The itinerary for the 11 day from Rome is great too but we are also concerned about the size of the ship, lack of kid activities (no fun things like slides and only 1 pool for the entire ship!) and lack of fee-free choices for meals. Once we can compare pricing we will make our decision to stay or switch.

I don't know if Pride of America can "define" the whole NCL fleet, but we didn't enjoy the experience and have no desire to book another cruise on this line.

The sewage smell was so overpowering, it was like walking into a not well maintained public toilet.

Thanks

We sailed the NCL Breakaway to Bermuda and have sailed with RCI and Carnival. We thought the ship was very nice, the Broadway show was the best we have seen at sea. The ship itself was beautiful. We liked that you could make a reservation in any MDR different nights to have a change of scenery. The balcony room was incredibly spacious and beautiful.

We thought the complimentary food (both buffet and MDR) was MUCH worse than either Carnival or RCI. NCL really tries to get you to eat at their specialty dining restaurants more so than the other lines. The buffet desserts were inedible as well. We dined at the specialty restaurants 5/7 nights because the food was so bad. Never dined at a specialty restaurant on a cruise ever. The alcoholic beverages were also poor quality (we think this is because their "free" drink packages that they are booking with most cruises nowadays).

We would sail NCL again if the itinerary was a must-do... but would come prepared to spend some money on specialty dining. I feel like NCL nickel and dimes the passengers even more so than most lines. They charge a "cover charge" for many parts of their ships. Their adult only lounge area, "The Vibe", the Ice Bars, etc. They charged for room service but now I see RCI is doing that as well.

RCCL forced us onto NCL during the second Empress launch disaster. We had a b2b booked and found ourselves with out a vacation at the last minute. NCL had an opening the same week out of the same port and the price was comparable to our refund.

We had a blast. There were things we wished NCL would adopt from RCCL and vice versa. That was the end of our loyalness to royalness, now when planing a cruise we look at all the lines. This September we are going on the NCL Escape, May of 2018 we are going on the new Symphony, 2019 who knows. There is an old adage, "It's cheaper to keep a customer, than gain a new one." Before RCCL by default had our vacation dollar, now they have to compete for it with all the other lines.

There are haters and abject loyalist for every cruise line, what we found out was cruising is cruising. If you bring your fun with you, you WILL have a good time.

We've been thinking the same thing since Royal is dragging their feet releasing the Med cruises.

We sailed on the Getaway last December and loved it. Crew was great, drinks were good and the meals were very good both in the restaurants and the buffet.

Keep in mind that the Spirit is and older ship and may not have all the bells and whistles that the newer ones have

I went on NCL breakaway for my first cruise. Then recently for my 8th cruise-- I booked it over anthem for the same itinerary due to a much lower actual price and even better price when factoring in perks. As it got closer, I really felt like a had made a mistake and wished I was going on anthem.

Turns out-- I had an AMAZING trip! Absolutely loved it-- this time I was savvy enough to avoid things I knew aren't great, and turned into a great week!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks

We have sailed with RCCL over 20 times. We also sailed n NCL several times. I think you will be pleasantly surprised on NCL. the entertainment is amazing. Service outstanding. we sailed on NCL in Debruary on the Escape and in March on the Harmony. Both ships are beautiful. I give higher marks for food, service and entertainment to NCL even though we have many perks as a diamond plus on RCCL.

We have cruised both Royal and NCL - each have their perks, still love the RC service. NCL specialty restaurants are great. Both are priced about the same. The entertainment on NCL is better in my opinion. Think you cannot go wrong with either.

I've been on several NCL cruises and frankly, I don't recommend anything smaller/older than Breakaway. I thought Sky and Dawn were awful. Escape, on the other hand, I loved.

People on this thread are raving about NCL's newer ships, but there is a huge difference in quality between the "away" class ships and NCL's older ships.

I've been on several NCL cruises and frankly, I don't recommend anything smaller/older than Breakaway. I thought Sky and Dawn were awful. Escape, on the other hand, I loved.

People on this thread are raving about NCL's newer ships, but there is a huge difference in quality between the "away" class ships and NCL's older ships.

Wondering what was awful about Dawn. I have Dawn to Bermuda booked for July. Really have no choice as it is an 80th birthday celebration for my Mom and this is the ship she booked. Guess it is good I have a drink package.;p

NCL charges a $7.95 fee for room service. Royal does not...wait. Royal is about to start the same fee. Might as well go on NCL as Royal is shadowing NCL's product and upcharges right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have done three NCL cruises. Two were twelve day. One Canaries and the other Istanbul etc. Both were in suites. NCL has a much better suite set up than Royal and also the Euro cruises are spot on. We are currently booked on the Oasis and did not book a suite because of not wanting to down our love of our NCL experience compared to our previous experience with Royal suites. We are loyal to Royal with loads cruises...NCL is a great product as well. Both Suite and non suite.

Cruising on NCL vs RC is more similar than different. I would give RC the advantage in free dining (i.e. the main dining room) over NCL, but I would give NCL the advantage in the quality of the nightly show.

Cabin wise in standard cabins (i.e. non suite) I would say they are the same. Suite customers are better rooms on NCL but better alcohol (i.e. concierge lounge) on RC.

Essentially Royal Caribbean does much better with free drinks than NCL because of the happy hour in the concierge lounge. NCL does not have the equivalent, but instead offers a different set of benefits. The unlimited drink package on NCL might make up for it if you get it as a benefit to your suite during certain promotions, but there usually is a charge for at least gratuities on NCL for the "free" drink package.

I sailed the Radiance of the Seas and NCL Pearl within months of one another in 2015. No question - the ROS was far and away the nicer ship in every way possible. But I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the dining, entertainment and service on NCL. Very pleased indeed. I would sail NCL again and look forward to having an opportunity to do so.