Very, very disappointed with the hard sell on Liberty of the Seas

I am sure everything is perfect at Disney, but I do agree WJ on almost every ship is just bad, also hope Phil Anderson and his cowboy hat is gone before our next cruise at end of April, he seems popular but not my taste of music.

I wonder (pardon the pun) why there is an impression that Disney is perfect. We have sailed with them a number of times; but only do so when we can get the Florida resident discounts. The food is just OK, the shows are great (but canned), and the service is equal to other mainstream cruise lines. The price is too high for the added "pixie dust" that is included.

We love Disney and it was very cool to have Donald Duck and Daisy tap me on the shoulder early one morning when I was having a cup of coffee by myself by the pool (that did happen and I loved it!). But, other than the intangible benefits, the cost difference is not (to us) worth it.

I could do without all of the selling going on during an RCI cruise although I would not call it a hard sell like the tour folks in Nassau or parts of Jamaica practice. Just say no and keep going - the next bar is within sight!

Edited by ricka47

We had a very different experience last month.

Yes, there were sales tables, but all you have to is walk on by.

My time dining was fine. We made reservations online before boarding. We found a waiter we really liked so we asked for his table every night. No issues with the request. Never more than a 5 minute wait.

Belize was awesome. We booked with a local tour company that was highly recommended. We got to the pier, on the tender, by 930 am. There was no waiting to get on the tender. The snorkeling was awesome! We were back at the peir by 330 and shopped for a bit before walking right onto the tender. No lines!

A vacation is what you make of it.

The only thing I can comment on is the sex thing. We never went without sex and we always have our daughter with us. We couldn't have sex at night but we had no problems sneaking a little in while she was at day camp a couple of hours here and there. Day sex worked for us because it's better then going without[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I experienced this hard sell on my sailing on Navigator that I got off today.

Once, we were having a snack on the "sidewalk" of Cafe Promenade and someone came up to us and started chatting. Turns out it was a sales pitch for Sabor. Additionally, we saw a person from Chops walking around the WJ.

There was always tons of people on the Royal promenade trying to sell stuff and the CD constantly promoted things we could buy. Also there was frequently a table of stuff (depended on the day) outside Windjammer and a table promoting specialty dining in front of the plaza bar.

Stuff was being sold on the pool deck constantly as well. The advertising felt inescapable...even starting in the port where there were giant Tissot and Tag Heuer posters and clocks.

Still had loads of fun nonetheless.

Sent from Tapatalk

The only thing I can comment on is the sex thing. We never went without sex and we always have our daughter with us. We couldn't have sex at night but we had no problems sneaking a little in while she was at day camp a couple of hours here and there. Day sex worked for us because it's better then going without[emoji6]

It's easy when you have one young child. On our next cruise, we will have our 14, 14, 16, 19, and 20 years old with us, who will not be kept captive in the kids club.

The sex thing?

OMG, are you serious?

Any parent who travels with kids should not be expecting sex during the vacation. True for a cruise, a land-based vacation, a camping trip, or ANY kind of travel.

Curtains, dividers, privacy screens, whatever - nothing works. Travel with kids = no sex. Get used to it!

(although creative use of bathroom time may be worth further consideration..........:evilsmile:)

Is that a rule somewhere? Never been a problem here. You may need to get a different book.

I'm more concerned for my next cruise having this crap advertised all over all the time, makes it hard to relax, than I am about finding a time and place to do it. that's like a given

Edited by LMaxwell

It's easy when you have one young child. On our next cruise, we will have our 14, 14, 16, 19, and 20 years old with us, who will not be kept captive in the kids club.

14-20 age range would not concern me to be out at night doing their own thing. But yeah, 5 kids is a lot and they were surely young once, so I commend your patience and stamina:)

I wonder (pardon the pun) why there is an impression that Disney is perfect. We have sailed with them a number of times; but only do so when we can get the Florida resident discounts. The food is just OK, the shows are great (but canned), and the service is equal to other mainstream cruise lines. The price is too high for the added "pixie dust" that is included.
I've sailed with Disney, and we loved that line; however, we can almost sail twice on other lines for the same cost as Disney ... and we can't justify that. The experience was not twice as good.

I have gone on a few cruises. I see them pushing the specialty restaurants and spa stuff. I don't mind them. If I want to chat I may stop and ask them questions about where they are from. None of this bothers me. Most of the time I am busy talking with my husband and taking pictures so I can scrapbook them. I must enjoy it since I keep going back! And I keep counting the days until I go again! Oh, and I truly love it so much I booked and paid for a trip for my three kids, their spouses and my grandchildren in August. I am beside myself with excitement. My husband and I live every single second! They can try to sell me on stuff all they want. It is up to me to buy it or not. I am hoping they are selling lanyards when we walk on the ship. I have four grandkids that need them!
don't buy the lanyard, if the kids go to adventure ocean they get one free. :)

We just got off the NCL Breakaway and the HARD sales pitch 24/7 is the same if not worse. If that bothers you, Disney is your only option and 2-3x the price. There's a reason Disney is so much more expensive. RCI, Norwegian, and Carnival are all bad. Norwegian almost requires you to eat at a speciality restaurant each night by providing MDR food that is equivalent to dog food.

Norwegian almost requires you to eat at a speciality restaurant each night by providing MDR food that is equivalent to dog food.

Ya know, I get it, you're trying to make a point. But holy mackerel, 99.999999% of the people on this planet would consider it a memorable, favorable life time experience to have 1 serving of that "dog food". Karma, dude, karma.

As for nookie with the kids in the room, EEEWWWWWW. :eek:

This sums up my most important response right there!! GROSS!!! Can you imagine the poor kid on the other side of that curtain!!!!! Ironically - I think that sex on a cruise is 1000x easier than any other vacation we go on! The kids head out to the kids club or to meet up with friends and we have the cabin to ourselves! The privacy lock works wonders!

As for the rest of it - I have read several times about the up selling but I have the drink package and several specialty dining nights already booked so I expect those will be easy conversations to stop. We travel to Disney frequently and there are up sell activities constantly and gift shops at the end of every ride. We will be fine.

Sorry you didn't have a good time. I hope that you enjoy your next cruise better. We are traveling on Liberty in April - I do hope that you have done as good a job reporting most of these things on your post cruise survey - the upsell issue is a legit concern that you should report. You should also definitely report the teen club feedback with or without the supervisor.

As a note about the teen club feedback - did you consider speaking to anyone on board about the staff in there?

Ya know, I get it, you're trying to make a point. But holy mackerel, 99.999999% of the people on this planet would consider it a memorable, favorable life time experience to have 1 serving of that "dog food". Karma, dude, karma.

I don't understand your point. I'm giving an honest opinion... I have been on many cruises now with 3 different lines, RCI, Carnival, and NCL and we have never felt like had to pay for specialty dining before on any other lines. The food wasn't ever what I would call bad with RCI or Carnival.

NCL food in the main dining room was pretty much inedible and we will eat anything, I like McDonalds. It was lower quality than a Kids Cuisine. I'm not sure where "Karma" needs to come into play. But if It was a lifetime experience for me I would still be appalled at the quality of the MDR food. Had a great trip otherwise! And I would have wanted the heads up to know we would be spending $400 that trip for specialty dining.

don't buy the lanyard, if the kids go to adventure ocean they get one free. :)

The lanyards are cheaper at the kiosks before boarding.

Regarding the Ops lack of sex during this cruise, I remember in one of the "Love & Marriage" segments on one of the cruises, one of the questions was "What was the most unusual place that you had whoppee." One of the couples mentioned having sex in an airplane bathroom-so the bathroom tube is not that far fetched. I felt embarrassed for their kids in the audience . I'm sure if the Op was that frustrated he/she could have found a secluded place on the ship for the enjoyment. Maybe, RCL should have extra cabins for rent for this type of entertainment. lol

Sounds to me like you went "knowing" it wouldn't be as good as Disney and guess what? You proved yourself right.

Who the heck wants to have sex with their kids in the same room, curtain or not. Gross.

I think you need to pay the pretty price and have a fabulous vaca on Disney next time.