Everything.. Norwegian BLISS! - launch April 2018 -

You paid $17.80 per person per day if you received the UBP promo.

If you bought the UBP ($89pppd plus 20%).....sorry. :(

Not correct. That $17.80 pppd was just the 20% separately billed mandatory additional service charge on the UBP. The UBP price was bundled into the total cruise price and was definitely not zero. I chose the UBP as one of my 2 allowed choices out of a menu of several others.

The point of my comment was that folks who don't drink that much may want to consider other choices such as a tour package or dining package instead of the UBP. Better yet, try to get a cruise price without the cost of those packages bundled in, and buy only what you want ala-carte separately. I don't know if NCL permits this, but other lines do.

Cheers,

Not correct. That $17.80 pppd was just the 20% separately billed mandatory additional service charge on the UBP. The UBP price was bundled into the total cruise price and was definitely not zero. I chose the UBP as one of my 2 allowed choices out of a menu of several others.

The point of my comment was that folks who don't drink that much may want to consider other choices such as a tour package or dining package instead of the UBP. Better yet, try to get a cruise price without the cost of those packages bundled in, and buy only what you want ala-carte separately. I don't know if NCL permits this, but other lines do.

Cheers,

I believe you can choose not to take any packages. You have the option to choose which ones you want. If you don’t pick UBP, you won’t be charged the 20% gratuity.

I chose the UBP as one of my 2 allowed choices out of a menu of several others.
You chose the promo and you paid the 20% before boarding. If you didn't want to pay it...

Better yet, try to get a cruise price without the cost of those packages bundled in, and buy only what you want ala-carte separately. I don't know if NCL permits this, but other lines do.

...which you COULD have done if you had chosen that while booking.

You can go "bare bones" and not get any promos (even in a suite) or you can go even lower and take a guaranteed stateroom option.

The choices are there. If you weren't happy with what you selected.....

I don't think any of those promotions are "worth it", if you are not going to purchase any of their items anyway....however, if you want to choose your cabin, rather than take a chance on a "guarantee", you are paying for the choice, so you might as well select one....

Review of Norwegian Bliss based onits Maiden Voyage - April 21, 2018 12 Day Transatlantic (TA) Cruise

Background: This review is based in parton comparisons with our past experience on 2 Celebrity TA’s, 1 Cunard QM2 TA, 1Celebrity TP and 2 Celebrity Caribbean Cruises. We have no connection with thetravel industry.

Atthe time of our Bliss TA, starting from Southampton UK on 4/21/18, the shipcarried about 2200 passengers - or less than 50 percent of its passengercapacity. Similar to all our other cruises, we had a mid-priced VerandaMini-Suite room on Deck 10 for which the total cost, including all fees, taxes,mandatory gratuities, ultimate beverage package service charge, etc. was$4053.42. That included an Ultimate Beverage Package (UBP), 250 minutes ofinternet usage, and $125 of On Board Credit (OBC.)

Positive Points

- The staff is outstanding everywhere, without exception. Theylean over backwards to solve problems. I would rate them even higher than ourpast cruises on other lines.

- The food is very good in the Manhattan room and restaurantsusing the same menu, such as Savor and Taste. We preferred Taste because it wassmaller, quieter and more intimate. The food in the Garden Cafe buffet was alsovery good.

- The quiet spots in the Deck 15 Observation Lounge are very,very nice, as is the small buffet available there. As the cruise progressed,others discovered this as well and the space began to reach capacity.

- The cabin bathrooms, showers and sinks are wonderful - muchbetter than in the other ships in our comparison.

- The talks on upcoming ports (by Janice Leader) were verydetailed and complete, including maps, pictures and history. These were muchbetter than we have seen on other ships which just seem to guide you to jewelrystores.

- The Jersey Boys, Tenors of Rock and Beatles shows wereabsolutely outstanding. (In contrast, the Havana show team and sets were verygood, but they were tied to a completely forgettable musical score.)

- Internet access was good throughout the ship and the speedand delay much better than on the other ships we have been on.

Minor Negative Points

- OBC cannot be used for mandatory gratuities as on otherlines.

- There are no daytime enrichment talks (on sea days) asopposed to the rich lecture series we have seen on other ships. On our other crossingsthere were usually 2 morning talks and an afternoon talk or show in the theateron sea days.

- The cabin light scheme, requiring the insertion of our keycard before the room lights come on, is cumbersome and unsafe at night. Wefinally resorted to having one person hold open the cabin door to let inhallway light, while the other person went in to activate the room lights.

- The soap dispensers in the public restrooms are of very poordesign. Most people could not figure out how to use them, and by the end of theday many were empty.

- We had numerous billing errors which took several days tosort out.

- Early in the cruise, there was a very noticeable smoke smellon the 8th floor covering the area from the elevators to the Atrium. Smoke wasalso sucked into the Cavern club when people came in. This got much better asthe cruise went on.

- There were no seat covers available in the ladies rooms, asthere were on other ships.

- We paid extra for a mini suite, but the available spaceseemed about the same as a standard Veranda cabin on other ships. Shelf/cabinetspace for storage seemed less than on other ships.

- There were no daily world news summary newspapers as on otherships.

- There seemed to be no daily announcements from the bridgegiving weather, sea conditions, location and area facts as we have become usedto on other lines. The daily event announcements were fairly easy to hear. Theart auction announcements were the loudest, most frequent, and most annoying.

Most Important Points

- Even carrying less than 50% of capacity, there wasinsufficient capacity and excess competition for key events. For example, forevening shows in the main theater (capacity about 870), you needed to line up30-45 minutes before the show to get a fair seat. At the Cavern Beatle show(which is superb) we arrived 30 minutes early and got standing room only. A fewnights later, we arrived 45 minutes early to get a seat. The capacity of thatroom is only about 250, depending on how many standees can squeeze in.

- The same is true of the better specialty restaurants. Thereis a very good computerized display in the main hallways that shows diningavailability. But if you want to eat at the better restaurants you need to bookdays in advance or accept a poor time.

- The Ultimate Beverage Package seems to be a poor value. Youwould have to drink 7 - 8 drinks per day per person to break even. (It also addeda total of $427.20 in mandatory service charges (covering 2 people for 12 days)to our bill.

- Consider the useable value of the Specialty Dining Packagecarefully. You may need to schedule days in advance and may not get in to yourdesired restaurants.

Overall

TheBliss is a beautiful ship with an outstanding staff, and we had a very goodcruise.

Butwe both observed that, even at less than 50% load, there was a competition forresources that we did not like. A cruise should be a relaxing thing and oneshould not have to worry about lining up early for something. I cannot imaginewhat this ship would be like at closer to full capacity. Even a majorre-thinking of the number of shows and venue sizes leaves the specter of theneed for careful advance pre-scheduling for shows and restaurants. This is notlike the casual cruising that we have seen on other lines, and the opposite of thepromise of Free Style.

I guess this UBP thing is relative. In our case for a 7days cruise we were charged ~15 pppd. That is practically one cocktail. On past cruise we did not get that package as we thought it was not worth it, here it looks like pretty pretty good idea.

It only take a glass of wine with the dinner and a cocktail while walking the cruise... you wont be even drunk and already payed your UBP.

I guess this will be relative...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know there has been a little talk but not much about the balcony size deck 17 vs 18 for The Haven. I have done numerous searches here on CC as well as fb and internet in general and come up with nothing.

Yesterday I bit the bullet and changedour reservation from the MA Mini Suite on deck 11 to an H5 Haven on deck 17.

What is very different withthe Bliss over the Escape, and early Breakaway class is first the ObservationLounges but also Deck 17 appears to have drastically larger balconies but yetno one has gotten any picture of these nor does anyone really know much information.

On previous Haven One Bedroomcabins the interior of the cabin is 270 sq ft and the balconies have always been quitesmall at 54 sq ft. This is the same for even the Haven on the Pearl, Gem, Jadeand Jewel. But with the Jewel class the one bedroom Havens the cabins are muchlarger. We were in one on the Jewel 3 years ago.

OK anyway per NCL repsfor the Bliss on Deck 18 cabins 18114, 18123, 1822 are all 270 sq ft in thecabin and balcony is 54 sq ft but cabin 18126 the cabin is 270 sq ft but thebalcony is 138 sq ft. NCL is unsure if there is a type of a wrap balcony orwhat but they have confirmed the larger balcony.

Then jump down to deck 7 ithas been rumored on CC that there is 2 to 3 more feet width of balcony deck space, allof the H5 cabins are the same 270 sq ft but NCL reps are telling me for my sailing cabins 17114, 17120, 17122 all have104 sq ft of balcony and the big one is 17126 with 146 sq ft of balcony. Yes,you guessed it I booked 17126 J I would love to have someone that has been in the Haven show pictures or advise on this. On another web side that shows deck plans there shows awhite space that overlooks the Sun Deck that is private for the Haven sothinking that is part of it but not known for sure.

Does anyone have any ideas??

The first two pics are from the DOS looking back, the second two from the Haven Restaurant looking forward. Hope it gives an idea of the extras size over deck 18!

IMG_7533.thumb.JPG.2b696147aa1de860626605e40f26a9de.JPG

IMG_7534.thumb.JPG.4567fa63925306d5b29f02099ba380e2.JPG

IMG_7635.thumb.JPG.5bb301f8d79e9b8ac9e1522b20c76d40.JPG

IMG_7637.thumb.JPG.c763ffe38e30ae51f4c29904fdd59d35.JPG

The first two pics are from the DOS looking back, the second two from the Haven Restaurant looking forward.

Hope it gives an idea of the extras size over deck 18!

thx.

we need a 'cabin/balcony size' spreadsheet for the Bliss, like someone did for the Breakaway.

is there such a spreadsheet for the Escape?

Those are all midship, correct? I am interested in the Aft sizes but can't find anything on what degree of wraparound there is other than the photos of the entire ship, which means the wraparounds are small if at all...

The first two pics are from the DOS looking back, the second two from the Haven Restaurant looking forward. Hope it gives an idea of the extras size over deck 18!

We were in 18126 and the balcony is much longer than the others. But the cabin directly below us, which I guess is `17126 the balcony is much deeper. They had 2 lounge chairs along with chairs and a table.

I know my husband took pictures. I will go thru them tomorrow and upload them.

We hardly used our balcony at all on the transatlantic but one thing about 18126 is hearing the deck chairs above us being moved around. We sleep late, so it's not early - it's more like 9am or so they start. But for us, that's annoying.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures as there are no regular H5 cabin pictures on the web as of yet.

Review of Norwegian Bliss based onits Maiden Voyage - April 21, 2018 12 Day Transatlantic (TA) Cruise

- The cabin light scheme, requiring the insertion of our keycard before the room lights come on, is cumbersome and unsafe at night. Wefinally resorted to having one person hold open the cabin door to let inhallway light, while the other person went in to activate the room lights.

Great review, thanks. FWIW you can usually override the lights by inserting a similar sized card in the slot. Doesn't have to be the room key.

I am confused as to how/why the whole keycard to operate the lights thing proves so challenging for some people. Our lights worked that way on the Escape and it was pretty much a non-issue. When you enter, you have your keycard in your hand, because you just used it to open the door... immediately stick it in the slot. Then just grab it on your way back out the door...

I am confused as to how/why the whole keycard to operate the lights thing proves so challenging for some people. Our lights worked that way on the Escape and it was pretty much a non-issue. When you enter, you have your keycard in your hand, because you just used it to open the door... immediately stick it in the slot. Then just grab it on your way back out the door...

I assume some people want to leave devices charging in their rooms while they go do other things?

I assume some people want to leave devices charging in their rooms while they go do other things?

On the BA we were able to use an old hotel key card (any card seemed to work). It worked just fine. That way we could turn lights on and off via the switches as needed. Hopefully it is the same on the other ships.??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ah. I am a rule abider and they very explicitly said NOT to leave things charging in our rooms while we were not in them. I only charged devices at night while I was in my room to sleep.

Perfect, Thanks so much!! :D Definitely shows the big difference between deck 17 and 18. Glad I grabbed one on 17 ;)

We were in 18126 and the balcony is much longer than the others. But the cabin directly below us, which I guess is `17126 the balcony is much deeper. They had 2 lounge chairs along with chairs and a table.

I know my husband took pictures. I will go thru them tomorrow and upload them.

We hardly used our balcony at all on the transatlantic but one thing about 18126 is hearing the deck chairs above us being moved around. We sleep late, so it's not early - it's more like 9am or so they start. But for us, that's annoying.

Hi Mary, Yes definitely looking forward to your pictures, we will be in 17126, I really appreciate you showing these and so good to hear that the balcony sounds really big. Now I just wish I was sailing in warmer weather rather September Alaska:eek:

Have loved following the live threads but still have a couple of questions in any of you could answer:

1- Did anyone see the Prohibition show? Any details? Cost?

I saw the show Sat night, it was a fun show! They gave you a Moscow Mule as you entered with a small booklet that opened up explaining each of the 5 drinks you’d receive during the show.

Have loved following the live threads but still have a couple of questions in any of you could answer:

I saw the show Sat night, it was a fun show! They gave you a Moscow Mule as you entered with a small booklet that opened up explaining each of the 5 drinks you’d receive during the show.

Did many guests wear period piece garb?

The show costs just under $20 per person and includes 5 cocktails. The drinks were tasty, reasonable size and not overly strong so you could enjoy the experience.

The singing was very good. The costumes are skimpy and the content slightly risqué, but fun. This is adults only entertainment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. I use a zeroed out gift card. Anything that size works

Using a zeroed out gift card will also work for room safes that require a card to swipe (as opposed to creating a password).