"Moveover fairy on Majestic.... oversold.

luv2gonow

Hi,

I am about to take my 1st Princess cruise on the Majestic in April.

I have 2 balcony cabins booked.

I received a Moveover offer. If I downgrade to an inside cabin they will refund 50 percent of fare. Plus another 200 OBC plus a specialty dinner. All of this will be OBC and refunded by check in mail if not used.

So I took it which gives us over $1600 OBC. I was able to get the inside pretty much across hall.

I was excited to finally have side by side balconies.....but hey we still have one :-)

They also split the money up evenly per person so pretty much this paid for our shore excursions. We still keep beverage package.

So I'm wondering is inside cabin that much smaller than regular balcony cabin?

And was this a no brainer move or am I missing something?

Thanks

Kerri

Hi,

I received a Moveover offer. If I downgrade to an inside cabin they will refund 50 percent of fare. Plus another 200 OBC plus a specialty dinner. All of this will be OBC and refunded by check in mail if not used.

So I took it which gives us over $1600 OBC. I was able to get the inside pretty much across hall.

I was excited to finally have side by side balconies.....but hey we still have one :-)

They also split the money up evenly per person so pretty much this paid for our shore excursions. We still keep beverage package.

Thanks

Kerri

Brilliant move!! As you said, you "still have one balcony". Don't really need more than one as long as you're friendly.

Even if the $$ weren't split evenly, it all goes in the same pot if you're using the same credit card. All that extra OBC is usually refundable, so if you don't spend it all, you'll get a check in 4-6 weeks.

Yes, insides are smaller than balconies, but you "still have one". Just use the inside for sleeping, changing clothes and bathroom duty. ;)

Hi,

Thanks

Kerri

When is your cruise?

Can't figure this multi quote in my phone.

Thanks sunsetbeachgal!

JT yea I kept making sure I kept my beverage package..... seemed too good to be true!

I'm psyched gonna have to book some spas for sure!!!

Keith my cruise is 4/9

Kerri

Just got a move over offer for our California coastal cruise next week. If we don't cruise they will refund our money and give us a free cruise in six months. We refused it. It was tempting. But we need the vacation. Not everything is about money. Just wondering how they make any money on that?

Just got a move over offer for our California coastal cruise next week. If we don't cruise they will refund our money and give us a free cruise in six months. We refused it. It was tempting. But we need the vacation. Not everything is about money. Just wondering how they make any money on that?

Wow that's pretty good! But I would not take that offer either. Always so need that vacation plus airfare, time off work etc.

For me I watched the price just go up and up. My airfare is well over double what I paid.

They probably contact cheaper bookings to moveover 1st to reduce their payout.

Kerri

Wow that's pretty good! But I would not take that offer either. Always so need that vacation plus airfare, time off work etc.

For me I watched the price just go up and up. My airfare is well over double what I paid.

They probably contact cheaper bookings to moveover 1st to reduce their payout.

Kerri

They also offered $150pp to alter air fare arrangements,which in our case did not apply. Also a room upgrade on the future cruise. Like I said, it was tempting.

They make money overall by sailing full ships and overbooking them knowing that a certain percentage of people will end up cancelling. Occasionally they make a mistake in guessing how many passengers will cancel. Then they have to start offering move-over offers--sweetening the deal until enough people take them.

Now that we're retired and not as tied to specific vacation dates, I'd be tempted.

That seems like a great decision you made. Considering the quality of the new speciality restaurants, two being from Michelin Star chefs, I would want to have the OBC to try them both at least once each. Enjoy your cruise and please please please post some photos and reviews.

Inside cabins are fine with us, they have enough space and comfort.

I'm on the Majestic on the 9th of April and got the move over offer to go from a balcony to an inside. 50% off the cruise fare plus $200 OBC and Specialty restaurant period it was a no-brainer to me, as this is a port intensive Cruise and I normally do insides anyway because I'm never in the room. This basically pays for my airfare because I won't spend that much on a ship. Yes the rooms are a bit smaller, but this is such a port intensive Cruise you shouldn't be spending much time in it. Good move

Hi,

Thanks

Kerri

if you have a regaler balcony cabin, it is nearly the same size as an interior. Hopefully you don't have the dreaded third and fourth bunks sticking out of the walls.

Maybe you can switch cabins half way through the cruise (on the day they change bed linens).

Enjoy...

• 11 months later...

Just a quick question. When the moveover offer is extended, is it for everyone on that particular cruise? I just received one today, and cannot get through to Princess. I am assuming they are extremely busy with passengers eager to take advantage of it!

Just a quick question. When the moveover offer is extended, is it for everyone on that particular cruise? I just received one today, and cannot get through to Princess. I am assuming they are extremely busy with passengers eager to take advantage of it!

No, they will extend it to persons in the particular cabin type(s) they need. If they don't get enough takers, they will sweeten the offer and extend it to even more passengers. They'll get back to you. I had left a message at 8 AM and didn't hear back until very late in the day when we got our moveover offer.

Hopefully, you left a message!!!

If you didn't, call back and leave a message.

It's first to leave a message, first to get the call back.

For the OP, move from balcony to an inside...I haven't noticed a difference in the size of the cabin, other than losing the balcony space. You do lose the natural light, obviously. We actually took one of these offers, but in our case they offered 100% refund on what we'd paid for the balcony cabin.

As to whether this was a good deal or not...that depends on what the cost of an inside cabin was compared to what you paid for the balcony.

On a move over offer (rather than a move down), they do typically offer 100% refund on the booked cruise + another cruise with some restrictions (time the offer lasts, length of free cruise, part of world, or whatever.) It is usually a generous offer. And if they don't get as many takers as they need, they will sweeten the offer and contact more people. The key is to get back to them ASAP and leave a message. Don't wait to talk to a live person. Leave a message and let them get back with you. Who gets the offers? It depends totally on what Princess needs. They call people who have the cabin(s) that they need. I thought we'd never see offers since we need an HA cabin...and I was wrong.

Interesting! I'm not a huge cruiser so this is a new topic for me. Do they just offer the moveover if you booked directly with the cruiseline or do they offer even if you booked through a TA?? (I'm looking at booking a Princess cruise in the future)

Interesting! I'm not a huge cruiser so this is a new topic for me. Do they just offer the moveover if you booked directly with the cruiseline or do they offer even if you booked through a TA?? (I'm looking at booking a Princess cruise in the future)

I booked with a TA and got a move down on one cruise and a move over on another. The only difference as far as I could see is that the offer went thru the TA, who then contacted me. Fortunately, my TA has someone in the office 7 days a week, so even though it was not "my" agent, the weekend "on duty" person got with me.

Our first Princess cruise was a mini-suite on the Dawn (which is identical to the full suite on the Grand class ships). Ten days before sailing they called and offered us a full refund if we switched to a balcony. We definitely took it. Instead of OBC they refunded our money, but it took several phone calls and 2 months after sailing to get it. That was a while back, and they seem to do a better job with it now. (We booked directly with Princess.)

You definitely made the right decision. Enjoy your cruise!

Our first Princess cruise was a mini-suite on the Dawn (which is identical to the full suite on the Grand class ships). Ten days before sailing they called and offered us a full refund if we switched to a balcony. We definitely took it. Instead of OBC they refunded our money, but it took several phone calls and 2 months after sailing to get it. That was a while back, and they seem to do a better job with it now. (We booked directly with Princess.)

You definitely made the right decision. Enjoy your cruise!

On our cruise it was refundable OBC...but given that it was $6000, we didn't spend nearly all of it (and didn't intend to). We were told the check would come about 6 weeks after the cruise; it actually came in about 3 weeks. And our offer--a full refund if we switched from a balcony to an inside.

Thanks all! Yes, I did leave a message, a couple of hours ago! Guess I am just impatient. Good to know though that it may take quite a bit of time for them to respond back. We are booked in an inside and the offer is to move to another inside.

Relocate to an interior cabin and receive:* 100% Cruise Fare Refund (as refundable onboard credit)

This would be amazing as I have never received this type of offer.