P&O response to questions about gratuities.

terrierjohn

Interesting articles here about ship gratuities from Jim Walkers Cruise Law News of Walker & ONeill, Maritime Lawyers

especially this

April 3, 2017 Update: A crew member wrote today, to me saying: Yes cruise lines are diverting tips to pay salaries of . . . even managers . . they use the tips to pay the bar manager, asst bar manager, housekeeper chief, asst housekeepers manager and food and beverage manager - they all get a slice of the tips."

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2017/04/articles/crew-member-rights-1/usa-today-takes-a-look-at-cruise-ship-gratuities/index.html

and

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/05/articles/fraud/carnival-hikes-prepaid-gratuities-but-will-passengers-secretly-remove-tips/

The above looks like it relates to Carnival Cruise Line

Edited by Pennbank
added lines

Interesting articles here about ship gratuities from Jim Walkers Cruise Law News of Walker & ONeill, Maritime Lawyers

especially this

April 3, 2017 Update: A crew member wrote today, to me saying: Yes cruise lines are diverting tips to pay salaries of . . . even managers . . they use the tips to pay the bar manager, asst bar manager, housekeeper chief, asst housekeepers manager and food and beverage manager - they all get a slice of the tips."

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2017/04/articles/crew-member-rights-1/usa-today-takes-a-look-at-cruise-ship-gratuities/index.html

and

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/05/articles/fraud/carnival-hikes-prepaid-gratuities-but-will-passengers-secretly-remove-tips/

The above looks like it relates to Carnival Cruise Line

Thanks for posting, that is why I call the Auto gratuity system the 'AWS - Automatic Wage Subsidy' for that is what it is. The cruise lines don't want to pay all the wages out of their coffers, it is 'user pay' for sure and true.:evilsmile:

Interesting that NCL have just announced that all bookings from now on in the UK will be 'all inclusive' (drinks and gratuities) so it can be done.

Lets hope P&O take note and do something similar.

We cruise with RCCL and P&O.

Lets hope P&O take note and do something similar.

Why? Won't the 'envelope brigade' still insist on tipping all staff who serve them and leaving extra tips for excellent service on top of the included tips?

I'm not saying staff don't deserve extra tips but where does it stop?

Interesting that NCL have just announced that all bookings from now on in the UK will be 'all inclusive' (drinks and gratuities) so it can be done.

That is very interesting. I received an invitation to an 'afternoon tea' event NCL were holding, but had to decline due to other commitments. I assume this was one of the things they were going to announce.

As the change takes place for bookings from the 6th April it will be interesting to see how prices change between now and then.

What will also be intriguing is NCL have always excluded guarantee and late bookings from the free drinks promotions. So it will be interesting to see what they do going forward, and whether the included tips are similarly excluded.

Why? Won't the 'envelope brigade' still insist on tipping all staff who serve them and leaving extra tips for excellent service on top of the included tips?

I'm not saying staff don't deserve extra tips but where does it stop?

If we know the crew are better paid most of the mind games worrying about them should cease. Then if you do get exceptional service you can with a clear mind give a little extra as a proper thank you.

If we know the crew are better paid most of the mind games worrying about them should cease. Then if you do get exceptional service you can with a clear mind give a little extra as a proper thank you.

It's all in the mind anyway, just imagine the crew are happy to earn what they do and stop worrying about it.

It's all in the mind anyway, just imagine the crew are happy to earn what they do and stop worrying about it.

I don't worry too much just would like the hardworking crew paid by the cruise line rather than off us.

TBH most seem happy but probably in fear of poor marks on cruise surveys.

I don't worry too much just would like the hardworking crew paid by the cruise line rather than off us.

The ones I meet are very happy and even happier when you chat to them and greet them with a smile and say please and thank you. Especially those who do not get "Marked" drinks waiters, bar tenders general cleaning staff. The guys and girls who work late at night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Most are happy because they know how well off they are.

Fred Olsen do not include drinks and gratuities as a matter of course. At present the charge for an inclusive drinks package has just gone up from £10 to £15 per person per day, and both occupants of a cabin have to have it. We are on FO in September (first time since 2003) and were lucky to get the inclusive drinks package as part of our booking. However, we have not got tips included as well so we still have to pay those. I don't particularly want P&O to start including drinks, I really can't see them doing this. Yes it would be good to have gratuities included to end all the furore over tips that appears on most cruising websites. However, I bet even if tips were included there would still be those who would tip extra and the discussion would still go on!

Do people worry about staff wages or whether they are happy and that by paying tips they are subsidising those that do not when they go in a land based hotel. I fear not because nobody knows what anyone else tips in hotels and that is how it should be, they should scrap the auto payment whatever it is called and leave envelopes like they used to do when we first started cruising. P&O say they take the worry out of paying by adding the auto amount to your onboard account again it is not for the benefit of the cruiser it is for the benefit of cruise company. They should scrap it and return to envelopes then nobody would know what everybody is paying and worry about subsidising them and with regards to some put bits of paper in envelopes that is life I am afraid and you will nevere stop them.

Whatever you call it, it's you the passenger that pays all the crews wages and the fuel for running the ship. Otherwise they would be making a loss and go out of business.

Brian

I have just read the following on the P&O site, they are finally correctly naming the service charge :

We’ll simply add a discretionary daily amount to your on-board account during your cruise (per guest aged 12 and over). For cruises departing 27 March 2017 onwards, this amount will change from £5.50 to £6 per day and will be listed on your folio as a ‘service charge’ (rather than ‘Auto-gratuity’, as it was before).

The ones I meet are very happy and even happier when you chat to them and greet them with a smile and say please and thank you. Especially those who do not get "Marked" drinks waiters, bar tenders general cleaning staff. The guys and girls who work late at night.

I find similar, I read about tips first day and a few $$$ each drink and what great service they get, and I get exactly the same service by being nice.

Do people worry about staff wages or whether they are happy and that by paying tips they are subsidising those that do not when they go in a land based hotel. I fear not because nobody knows what anyone else tips in hotels and that is how it should be, they should scrap the auto payment whatever it is called and leave envelopes like they used to do when we first started cruising. P&O say they take the worry out of paying by adding the auto amount to your onboard account again it is not for the benefit of the cruiser it is for the benefit of cruise company. They should scrap it and return to envelopes then nobody would know what everybody is paying and worry about subsidising them and with regards to some put bits of paper in envelopes that is life I am afraid and you will nevere stop them.

Not going to work regarding freedom dining. People are not going to tip every night.

That's why I would do away with it al together and put the price up.

If tips were included in the price of the cruise just like NCL have just announced now that would make it easier for us.

Whatever you call it, it's you the passenger that pays all the crews wages and the fuel for running the ship. Otherwise they would be making a loss and go out of business.

Brian

Yes we pay for the cruise because that's what holiday we want but don't expect to pay staffs wages on top.

From what you say what about flights,hotels,shops etc we pay the headline price we don't expect to tip flight crew,girls on the till etc.

I have just read the following on the P&O site, they are finally correctly naming the service charge :

We’ll simply add a discretionary daily amount to your on-board account during your cruise (per guest aged 12 and over). For cruises departing 27 March 2017 onwards, this amount will change from £5.50 to £6 per day and will be listed on your folio as a ‘service charge’ (rather than ‘Auto-gratuity’, as it was before).

At least they are now acknowledging what it is ie service charge but when you pay for your cruise that should be our cruise service paid for.

It should be a basic social interaction to smile and be respectful to everyone and we are all happier when that happens.

Not going to work regarding freedom dining. People are not going to tip every night.

That's why I would do away with it al together and put the price up.

I agree we pay enough for our cruise but a little more for everyone would be welcomed if it did away with the service charge.