Think I made a HUGE mistake

cruzn single

Just a little background. I booked a May 13 cruise aboard the Escape. First of all, I will admit that this was done without much investigation! My bad! I was recently widowed (February 21) and felt this would be a good way for me to get away after almost 4 years of constant caregiving. I also felt that a cruise was a good way for an older single woman to get back into traveling. My cruise history will show that most of our previous cruises were on HAL, and only 1 NCL in Hawaii.

I was excited about the studio cabins, and the itinerary because of the port stop in Belize. My late husband's middle son lives in Belize (quite close to Harvest Caye), so thought this would be a great opportunity to see him and his new wife. No one in the family has seen him since he moved there several years ago.

Now, it seems that getting off Harvest Caye to meet with him is going to be next to impossible. From the questions I have asked no one is giving me any good points about being able to accomplish this. What next??

Also, when I booked, it seemed that there were some good options for beach days as shore excursions at the other ports. Thought this would be a good way to get off the ship, and get to sort out some of my thinking. Now, looks like most of those excursions are gobbled up. Since I am a relative newby to NCL, I didn't realize that I couldn't book shore excursions after boarding the ship.

At this point, looking at everything, looks like I have made a big mistake, and I am thinking that I would be better to cancel since this cruise will not meet my expectations.

Just a little background. I booked a May 13 cruise aboard the Escape. First of all' date=' I will admit that this was done without much investigation! My bad! I was recently widowed (February 21) and felt this would be a good way for me to get away after almost 4 years of constant caregiving. I also felt that a cruise was a good way for an older single woman to get back into traveling. My cruise history will show that most of our previous cruises were on HAL, and only 1 NCL in Hawaii.

I was excited about the studio cabins, and the itinerary because of the port stop in Belize. My late husband's middle son lives in Belize (quite close to Harvest Caye), so thought this would be a great opportunity to see him and his new wife. No one in the family has seen him since he moved there several years ago.

Now, it seems that getting off Harvest Caye to meet with him is going to be next to impossible. From the questions I have asked no one is giving me any good points about being able to accomplish this. What next??

Also, when I booked, it seemed that there were some good options for beach days as shore excursions at the other ports. Thought this would be a good way to get off the ship, and get to sort out some of my thinking. Now, looks like most of those excursions are gobbled up. Since I am a relative newby to NCL, I didn't realize that I couldn't book shore excursions after boarding the ship.

At this point, looking at everything, looks like I have made a big mistake, and I am thinking that I would be better to cancel since this cruise will not meet my expectations.[/quote']

First - don't panic! You can find other companies offering excursions, often far cheaper than the ship. I know that Shore Excursioneer offers private excursions from Harvest Caye - you may be able to find a way to the mainland to meet your relative that way - it appears that you can get a tender even if it's not through NCL.

My family booked private excursions for all the ports this time around, including beach days on Cozumel and in Roatan, and all were much cheaper than what NCL offered. The companies offering the excursions would go out of business if they couldn't get passengers back to the ship on time. On my previous cruises, the people who nearly missed the ship were those who were off shopping on their own.

I hope you find some things you like and that you have a great time on your cruse.

not sure where you have got the idea you cant book shore excursions after you board the ship-the shore excursion desk is there dying to sell you trips!

however why would you want to spend money on an overpriced shore excursion when you have relatives locally who could pick you up from the ship?

if you wanted to be a bit more independent you will find lots of info on local companies on the ports of call forums

Have you found the roll call for your sailing where you will be able to connect with fellow cruisers several of whom may also be single cruisers or looking to share excursions?

The online bookings for some excursions may be sold out but you can book once on board. Yes, booking through NCL is more expensive, but as a solo traveler who hasn't cruised in a while, your comfort and security level may out weigh the added expense.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

not sure where you have got the idea you cant book shore excursions after you board the ship-the shore excursion desk is there dying to sell you trips!

This isn't the first time I've seen this said. Someone must have posted some incorrect info somewhere.

The online bookings for some excursions may be sold out but you can book once on board. Yes, booking through NCL is more expensive, but as a solo traveler who hasn't cruised in a while, your comfort and security level may out weigh the added expense.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I feel the same when travelling solo, book shore excursions with ship. If there is a friendly roll call I may book a private excursion.

I am going to Harvest Caye in Dec. Is it a private island? I thought it was a beach stop. Thanks

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Tapatalk

I'd really check into whether you can get to the mainland from Harvest Caye. From what I've read, and again, from what I've read, NCL won't allow private parties to take you off Harvest Caye. The only excursion offered are through them. I really wish you the best of luck.Please! Someone with more facts, contradict me!

I feel the same when travelling solo, book shore excursions with ship. If there is a friendly roll call I may book a private excursion.

I am going to Harvest Caye in Dec. Is it a private island? I thought it was a beach stop. Thanks

It's a beach stop on a private island, just like Great Stirrup Caye is a beach stop on a private island.

I recommend finding the Roll Call board here for your cruise. Someone there may already have set up alternative excursions that will be much smaller and at a better price than what NCL will offer. Most folks on the Roll Calls are quite friendly.

Also, if you do book an alternative excursion, mention Cruise Critic. You'll be surprised how often that will get you better pricing or some additional perks.

Bottom line is, do what's best for you.

OP, I think a cruise will be a great way to travel to be able to spend time alone when you need that and to socialize when you're feeling you want to. I'm so sorry for your loss. I used to be a therapist and I worked a lot with care givers of seriously-ill loved ones and I've seen how mentally, emotionally, and physically draining that can be. I hope your cruise brings you peace.

Personally, I wouldn't book through the ship. As others have suggested, checking out your roll call is a good idea and you may find some members may have room on private tours you could join.

Best wishes...

I've seen posts like this before where people suggest that because someone is cruising solo they should book through the cruise line. I'm divorced and my children are all grown so most of my cruises are solo and it's extremely rare that I book through the cruise line. I don't understand why being a solo cruiser makes any difference at all. One of the things I love about CC is the roll calls and I've met some great and fun people on my solo cruises and done private excursions with them. I've also gone out on my own. In the past 15 years, I believe I've booked only one shore excursion through the ship . I find the private excursions are generally less crowded and higher quality. Cruising solo doesn't mean you can't do what you'd like (and if that's booking through the cruise line then do it, but you don't beed book that way because you're solo).

The online bookings for some excursions may be sold out but you can book once on board.

Excursions are not like restaurant reservations where they keep some reserved for onboard bookings - if an excursion is sold out online, there is no guarantee that one could book it after boarding.

It's a beach stop on a private island, just like Great Stirrup Caye is a beach stop on a private island.

Thanks. Wasn't wanting to do anything in Belize. I did not realize you had to take an NCL excursion if you wanted to go to Belize. Last time I was there with another cruise line we were all tendered into Belize, whatever the capital is called, Belize City. But this one I am on (Getaway) the itinerary says Harvest Caye not Belize.

Is Roatan a beach stop or a pool?

Just a little background. I booked a May 13 cruise aboard the Escape. First of all' date=' I will admit that this was done without much investigation! My bad! I was recently widowed (February 21) and felt this would be a good way for me to get away after almost 4 years of constant caregiving. I also felt that a cruise was a good way for an older single woman to get back into traveling. My cruise history will show that most of our previous cruises were on HAL, and only 1 NCL in Hawaii.

At this point, looking at everything, looks like I have made a big mistake, and I am thinking that I would be better to cancel since this cruise will not meet my expectations.[/quote']

You know what? To be truthful, I think you're just looking for excuses not to go.

Take a deep breath and tell yourself you are going to go and you are going to enjoy the cruise as a single. Even if you don't go on a single excursion, even if you don't even get off the ship in while in port, it will be a blessed relief for you to be waited on hand and foot for a change. You won't have to cook, wash dishes, shop for groceries, clean house or even so much as make the bed. When you get out of the shower, dry off, throw the towel down on the floor and someone else will come along, pick it up for you and put a clean one on the rack.

Go to all the activities like trivia, look around the room for a nice looking group, walk over to them and ask if they will adopt you. If their group is full someone nearby will overhear you and invite you over. Even if you don't know a single answer you are bound to meet some nice people for conversation, maybe dinner later on and who knows, maybe you can go on an excursion with your new found friends.

Thanks. Wasn't wanting to do anything in Belize. I did not realize you had to take an NCL excursion if you wanted to go to Belize. Last time I was there with another cruise line we were all tendered into Belize, whatever the capital is called, Belize City. But this one I am on (Getaway) the itinerary says Harvest Caye not Belize.

NCL opened their island in Belize in just recently. They had been going to Belize city. Now, their island is much farther south in Belize. It's a 4 hour trip to Belize city. Sorry.

Excursions are not like restaurant reservations where they keep some reserved for onboard bookings - if an excursion is sold out online, there is no guarantee that one could book it after boarding.

Not quite true. Only a fraction of the bookings can be made online, and the rest onboard.

I read somewhere that only excursions through the ship can get off HC.

Really hope the best for you and safe travels!

You don't have to "take an excursion" to get off the ship in Harvest Caye any more than you have to take an excursion to get off the ship in Great Stirrup Cay. You just get off the ship...and in Harvest Caye you don't have to tender in as you do in GSC or Belize City. There's a dock for the ship.

Roatan is an island that's part of Honduras. It's a port, not a "private island"-type beach.

OP, I wonder if your family would be able to make their way to Harvest Cay? It's a semi-private island that NCL and the government of Belize own. It's all a la carte, so you could spend your day together, go to the restaurants and beach and then you go back on board, and they head home? That would be my suggestion, they wouldn't be on such a tight time restriction as you.

Perhaps they could reach out to one of the private shore excursion companies who are going there to pick people up and would have an empty boat on the way there and back?

While I'm not sure that the Harvest Caye will work out; has you son looked into it? It's not truly a private island and while it seems difficult to get yourself off it, I don't think anyone has confirmed yet or not whether or not your son could get to it to see you. With your son living near there that will be the best way for you to get information since trying to explore belize on your own from harvest caye is a rare issue for people to explore.

But reference the rest of your port stops, it's nowhere close to being too late to find things to do. Not sure where all you are stopping but in many ports a beach day is just a quick taxi ride from the port, no need for an excursion. And for a port where you want to do any excursions; you can either look at doing it independently or go to the shore excursion desk on the ship. I think they hold back bookings for on the ship and they certainly will have a broad range of excursions they will be happy to sell you on the trip.

I wouldn't cancel until you look a little more into this, especially your son looking into it on his end; it sounds like that was supposed to be a highlight of you trip. Or alternatively, book a cruise with a line that still goes to belize city and then there won't be any restrictions on what you can do.

I've seen posts like this before where people suggest that because someone is cruising solo they should book through the cruise line. I'm divorced and my children are all grown so most of my cruises are solo and it's extremely rare that I book through the cruise line. I don't understand why being a solo cruiser makes any difference at all. One of the things I love about CC is the roll calls and I've met some great and fun people on my solo cruises and done private excursions with them. I've also gone out on my own. In the past 15 years, I believe I've booked only one shore excursion through the ship . I find the private excursions are generally less crowded and higher quality. Cruising solo doesn't mean you can't do what you'd like (and if that's booking through the cruise line then do it, but you don't beed book that way because you're solo).

Not everyone is comfortable as a solo traveler. It's great that you're able to travel alone and be completely independent but we're not all that way.

I've traveled alone for work but pleasure trips have always been with family. The day may come that I'll be looking at traveling solo and when that happens, I doubt very much that I'll be comfortable enough to book private excursions (at least initially). I was never very outgoing and as I've gotten older, I've definitely become less so. There's a comfort level associated with booking through the cruise line that's worth more than the higher cost.......

I have read through the response you have received, and you have gotten a lot of bad advice, from well meaning people.

Harvest Caye is a private island. At this time all excursions have to be booked the NCL, there is no way to book private excursion and unless you are on an NCL excursion there is no way to get off the island, and no way for someone who is not a passenger to get on to the island. With that knowledge you are correct that this cruise might not meet your expectations if that expectation is to see your step son.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that you cannot book excursions once you board the ship, that is simply incorrect, in fact they hold back some excursion spaces for people who book on the ship.

Harvest Caye is a private island. At this time all excursions have to be booked the NCL, there is no way to book private excursion and unless you are on an NCL excursion there is no way to get off the island, and no way for someone who is not a passenger to get on to the island. With that knowledge you are correct that this cruise might not meet your expectations if that expectation is to see your step son.

Shore Excursioneer is showing that they offer private excursions from Harvest Caye. If you click on the information about the excursion, it says that you will be tendered from Harvest Caye to the mainland.

https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/harvest-caye/monkey-river-wildlife.html

Shore.JPG.eb95066f26cbfaa76e428a8d22350d3b.JPG