Dangers in Sydney, etc.

Hello, we're going to be in Sydney for 6 days before we cruise on Emerald Princess.

I'm very concerned about "drop bears" :(. Are they normally in Sydney proper or just in the outlying areas? We'll be going to the Taranga Zoo, would they be loose there? What should we do (if anything) to not be "dropped" on? Should we bring hats or helmets?

Also, what are the chances of a cyclone next week in the Sydney/New Zealand area?

Thanks to all of you for your help,

Fern

Hello, we're going to be in Sydney for 6 days before we cruise on Emerald Princess.

I'm very concerned about "drop bears" :(. Are they normally in Sydney proper or just in the outlying areas? We'll be going to the Taranga Zoo, would they be loose there? What should we do (if anything) to not be "dropped" on? Should we bring hats or helmets?

Also, what are the chances of a cyclone next week in the Sydney/New Zealand area?

Thanks to all of you for your help,

Fern

Unfortunately drop bears are becoming very rare due to to habitat destruction. So you are very unlikely to see them. In Sydney, the coconut palm forests that they naturally live in have all been cleared for housing developments. Occasionally you may come across one wandering around late at night vainly looking for a coconut tree to roost in. However this is perfectly safe as they can only attack from a height and so can safely be ignored.

Taronga Zoo has no dropbears as it was found that their favourite food was koala, and koalas proved much more popular with tourists than the drop bears, which are cranky beasts. Especially in the morning.

The chances of a cyclone in Sydney or New Zealand is very low as we have met our cyclone quota for this month and no further deliveries are expected until December.

At the moment, helmets are very fashionable, but hats are not. This is so that we can go around making pithy remarks to each other.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Must be April 1 all over again people are trying to say droppies aren't real.

Put a dab of Vegemite behind your ears that keeps them at bay, they'll think you're true blue.:D:evilsmile:

Cyclones don't usually hit Sydney, but if one builds up they could get some pretty heavy rain. The odds of one next week in the areas you will be in are fairly slim, the season is just about over.

Ooh goodness I'm not sure if you're serious about the drop bears but just in case you are, they're not real, it's a hoax! We do have koalas, they're real, but very docile and not in city areas.

What??! Goodness me, you've led a sheltered life!

OP, I'd take the official word of the Australian Museum over anything posted here. Also, check out the Centennial Parklands on Facebook, that's a park in inner urban Sydney and only in the last few days they issued a warning about Drop Bears. https://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear

Nasty buggers. A group of local kids narrowly escaped with their lives a few weeks ago when they stupidly wore American NBA baseball caps in a heavily treed area.

Ooh goodness I'm not sure if you're serious about the drop bears but just in case you are, they're not real, it's a hoax! We do have koalas, they're real, but very docile and not in city areas.

Cyclone's don't come down that far toward Sydney, we are having some rubbish weather at the moment as a result of a system come down from the cyclone area from last weeks cyclone. I just sailed through the remnants of it and it was rough as hell but it will have all dissipated by the time you get here.

Dear OP, just listen to Amy, she has given you the right advice here. The rest of you, stop teasing! Have a lovely trip to Australia/New Zealand.

The drop bears in Sydney are not a worry any more .....however crossing the road and finding a taxi driver who knows where he is going can be a nightmare.:eek:

I guess thats the price of progress. Gosh when we first visited Sydney many,many years ago now , the drop bears were everywhere.. ;p

The drop bears in Sydney are not a worry any more .....however crossing the road and finding a taxi driver who knows where he is going can be a nightmare.:eek:

I guess thats the price of progress. Gosh when we first visited Sydney many,many years ago now , the drop bears were everywhere.. ;p

When I was just a little (well not that little) nipper, they'd come into the house to get you.

Dear Pot Planted Fern

A real 2nd of April posting you have threw-up there, a day late and a dollar short. :o

As for Taronga zoo the Galah cage is missing a few feathered friends, a short term residency should be easily arranged as long as you leave the tin foil helmets home in Arkansas...

Cheers r

:cool:

If you're really worried about the drop bears, just pop into a store and buy yourselves a wide-brimmed sunhat each. Not only will it protect you from the fierce Australian sun but the drop bears will think you're locals.

Strewth, fair suck of the sav- you have now made me think perhaps the Yowies, the Bondi Cigars, the Koala's peeing on overseas tourists, the oohmedoodle bird, to name a few, are perhaps sus too!!!

Now feeling totally screwed as to what to believe, its enough to make one chunder as I always believed the drop bears were dinky di,

Not usually one to spit the dummy but is someone telling porkies here???

I hope not, as this is a very family orientated, respectable forum which demands honesty and fortright discussion on the topic. irrespective of the hurt and pain the responses may inflict upon oneself from time to time.

Regardless of the jokes about Drop Bears I can vouch for the fact that they are real. Having been kidnapped by a pack of them at a very young age in the mistaken belief that I was merely a deformed version of them, raised until my teenage years by which time they realised their mistake, and released without harm due to the affection they had built up for my DB like personality which I had naturally developed.

Should you doubt the veracity of the above declaration, simply ask some of the members here, who are familiar with my somewhat erratic personality, whether my attitude most resembles human or DB.

The answer will settle this DB question once an for all.;p

I can honestly say I haven't ever seen a drop bear in the CBD of Sydney.

But clearly drop bears have been reproducing rapidly down in Canberra where you are.

Apparently they are likely to wipe out an entire species of "pollie" down there.

Oh well, another extinct species that won't be missed by most forward thinking Australians.

Call it, selective breeding... :D Maybe, survival of the fittest. What next, drop bear pollies?

And don't forget the kangar-ocodiles in The Top End. An extremely dangerous mutant cross of two native species. They lurk submerged in rivers, lagoons and billabongs with only their tails out of the water. The only way to kill them is to stick your fingers down the two nostrils situated at the end of the tail to suffocate them. Very nasty pieces of work!