Laundry Strategy on a 22 day cruise on the Eclipse

Ken the cruiser

We just read on another thread that the "special" price for a bag of laundry now on Celebrity cruises is about $50 a bag. We will be Select when we go on our 22 day cruise this October to the Canary Islands followed by a TA back to Miami which means no free bag of laundry for us.

We're curious what laundry strategies other more seasoned Celebrity cruisers use on the longer cruises or do you just bring more clothes? We've only been on 10 day or less Celebrity cruises, so your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I would be surprised if $50 per bag was the "select" price. Just a few months ago it was $20. I assume that you are talking $US. Prior to becoming Elite where we have free laundry we used to hand wash most of our clothes as required and hang them on a rigged up clothes line on the balcony. In most cases if we did them on sea days they would be dry either during the day or overnight in warm climes. While Select we would send our heavy clothes away to the laundry. If there are two select passengers in a cabin there are two options for bag laundry. As the laundry bag is paper suggest you take a plastic rubbish bag to use as a liner whereby you can get more clothes in without bursting the paper bag

I bring a handful of lightweight pieces to use as everyday clothing/base layers. Then just wash in the sink and hang dry in the shower as needed (there's often a clothes line in the shower). Stick to just wearing heavier items in the evenings so I can get more wear out of them (they take too long to dry).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We wash and hang too, as we use the gym a lot. Being elite does help and gives us two free bags; however, if we need another, we just pay for it. Knowing what and how to pack is another part of the puzzle, but sometimes we just need more washing than we can do ourselves. It is what it is. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just chalk the cost of the bag of washing as part of the travelling costs. In the scheme of things,it's a small price to pay if you need to use the service.Lots of other ways to cut costs.

That's what we usually do, but $50 a bag did catch our eye. Hopefully it's more like $20 - $30 for at least our Select status. We usually cruise on HAL and they charge $7 per day for unlimited laundry which really is a nice perk if you're like us and don't like doing laundry when you are cruising.

That's what we usually do, but $50 a bag did catch our eye. Hopefully it's more like $20 - $30 for at least our Select status. We usually cruise on HAL and they charge $7 per day for unlimited laundry which really is a nice perk if you're like us and don't like doing laundry when you are cruising.

I think select gets a 20% discount so then it's $40 not $50...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Prior to becoming elite and have the free bag of laundry each for a cruise, we sent most of our clothes to be laundered. I remember spending almost $60 on one cruise of 14 days (cruise was after we had done 5 days of pre-cruise land touring.

We did a little hand washing for a few small items, but most was paid laundry. When you consider that $60 for a three week trip, it is not too bad. The laundry prices for hotels that we have stayed in are usually way more expensive. I remember laundering socks in one hotel was going to cost twice what I paid for the socks.

We generally take one large suitcase and enough clothes to last for a two week trip, but we always do a land tour on our own, before or after a cruise, so we always have laundry to do.

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions including the one to use a rubbish bag as an inner liner! Plus, since our B2B October cruise was originally booked on the Equinox and later changed to the Eclipse, I guess we now know how we are going to spend some of the OBC we got for that switch.

The Eclipse does not have clotheslines in the shower. If you need a clothesline plan to bring one from home. I believe there are restrictions about clothing being left on the balconies. Heavier clothing items will take more than one day to dry if handwashed in the bathroom sink. For the ladies, I recommend washing lingerie in the sink, and not risking sending items to the ship laundry if the items need to be washed in cold water. One of the cabin crew told me all clothing sent to the laundry are washed in warm water in minimum of 200 lbs loads. I have done three previous cruises on the Eclipse (including two transatlantics) so I offer you this opinion based on experience. If you are eligible for elite status after completing the first of your back to back cruises be sure to talk to the Captain's Club hostess about getting the elite benefits including the free laundry on the next cruise.

I'm afraid my clothes would shrink - most of my stuff specifically says cold water, and I only dry with low heat. I was also concerned about this because we will be in the Mediterranean for two weeks next year, not sure what will be safe. Do they dry clean?

I'm afraid my clothes would shrink - most of my stuff specifically says cold water, and I only dry with low heat.

Not arguing with the previous poster who said everything is washed in warm water, but I've had great success with non-shrinkage.

On the laundry slip, I write COLD WASH/ DRY LOW HEAT.

Do they dry clean?

Yes. You will find that option on the laundry slip.

I wear the same black Traveler's knit pants or skirt from Chico's on many many nights. If I just wear them to dinner for a few hours they can be worn many times, and they hand wash easily and dry overnight or during the next day. On a typical 14 night cruise I will have a pair black, khaki, white, and a couple printed slacks. One pair dressier black palazzo pants and that's it for dinner. Those all can roll and hand wash and be mixed and matched. I have a color scheme that helps me too. On some cruises I'm in a blue/green/turquoise mood so a lot of my stuff is that color. Sometimes it's red, black, gray, cream. I bring ONE pair of evening shoes that are a step up from flats, and one pair dressier sandals. My first cruise I brought shoes for just one outfit. Crazy. My feet are under the table or hopefully people are looking at my face not my feet! I bring flip flops, tennis shoes (or non-athletic Skechers type), a good walking sandal, "cute" sandals and that's it. So 6 pr. shoes which is probably 2 too many.

Definitely bring a few strategic "bottoms" that you can wear with many different "tops." Change the look with a scarf or jewelry but really, if you repeat the same outfit four different evenings on a 22 day cruise, who cares or notices.

We use the Elite + perk of free laundry every cruise, but when we didn't have it we sent it out and considered that part of the cost of the cruise. I use the shower gel provided to hand wash my stuff.

We don't do the tux/gown - never did. My husband used to wear a beautiful dark gray suit and tie, but in recent years just a sport coat over a button down shirt open collar as we haven't eaten in the MDR in years and years. Last cruise he didn't take that. Just nicer shirts. For him, he might wear a Hawaiian shirt to dinner or a polo shirt, and then one day with shorts. So packing for him is easier not having to take bulkier clothes and one less pair of shoes.

It's really all about thinking through what you really need, and not getting hung up on a completely different outfit for every dinner and every day, and purchasing gradually some easy care items for travel.

Also, about balcony drying...

The cruise lines discourage this partly because of the risk of articles blowing away.

I always scope out the balcony for anything I can secure a long piece of nylon clothesline rope to.

I run the clothesline through leg openings/sleeves to prevent them from blowing away while sailing.

But I never leave them out overnight.

When the ship is in port, I'll hang a few articles on the backs of the balcony chairs. That way, they are not visible from the pier.

For a 22 night cruise, besides the usual unmentionables (typically 1/2 as many as required, wash once 1/2 way thru cruise). My best guess would be -

• 1 pr. dress slacks, 2-3 dressy tops, pr. black loafers for chic nights

Then, depending on the itinerary (warm or cool weather destinations) -

• 3 pr. shorts (+/- 1), 2 pr. capris,
  • 1 pr. jeans (too heavy for most of the time), 1 pr. zip off cargo pants, 2-3 pr. long pants,
  • sneakers/hiking shoe
  • 5-6 tops (short sleeve) if a warmer destination, 3-4 tops (long sleeve)... reverse quantities if a cooler destination
  • 2 swimsuits (so you never have to put on a wet suit),
  • pool shoes (that double as cabin slippers)

Plus jackets and sweaters and other accessories (hats, gloves, scarves, etc.) as appropriate for the destinations. That's my best guess for a starting point.

A tiny jug of cold wash detergent, a portable clothesline and a bottle of febreze. Magic! (There is another line that offers self serve laundry onboard. I really wish Celebrity would consider this).

We're doing a back-to-back next March and I may be tempted to run out to a laundromat the day we are back in Miami. However, if I really think about that, it will likely cost way more than just sending out a bag of essentials....

I would be surprised if $50 per bag was the "select" price. Just a few months ago it was $20. I assume that you are talking $US. Prior to becoming Elite where we have free laundry we used to hand wash most of our clothes as required and hang them on a rigged up clothes line on the balcony. In most cases if we did them on sea days they would be dry either during the day or overnight in warm climes. While Select we would send our heavy clothes away to the laundry. If there are two select passengers in a cabin there are two options for bag laundry. As the laundry bag is paper suggest you take a plastic rubbish bag to use as a liner whereby you can get more clothes in without bursting the paper bag

Thanks for the great tip to use a plastic rubbish bag to line the laundry bag. Regarding drying clothes on the balcony, it is my understanding that the cruise lines consider this a safety hazard because lost items can block intake valves or become entangled in the thrusters. Admittedly, my cruising experience is limited to two Celebrity cruises, one on an M class ship and one on an S class ship, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd certainly love to dry my hand washing on the balcony on my upcoming TA:D

Edited by Silkroad
correction

We just read on another thread that the "special" price for a bag of laundry now on Celebrity cruises is about $50 a bag. We will be Select when we go on our 22 day cruise this October to the Canary Islands followed by a TA back to Miami which means no free bag of laundry for us.

We're curious what laundry strategies other more seasoned Celebrity cruisers use on the longer cruises or do you just bring more clothes? We've only been on 10 day or less Celebrity cruises, so your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, have taken many, many cruises and on our last cruise a man who appeared neat and clean had horrible body odor. I believe that while he showered everyday- he must not have cleaned his clothes so the smell stuck to his clothes. I would urge you to either bring another suit case and spend the additional money or pay for the laundry or dry cleaning. People think because their clothes look clean and they shower that is good enough- trust me for some people it isn't. Wearing one pair of shorts or pants for many days is a bad idea! Your friends might not tell you-but I will! LOL

Enjoy your cruise!

Honestly, have taken many, many cruises and on our last cruise a man who appeared neat and clean had horrible body odor. I believe that while he showered everyday- he must not have cleaned his clothes so the smell stuck to his clothes. I would urge you to either bring another suit case and spend the additional money or pay for the laundry or dry cleaning. People think because their clothes look clean and they shower that is good enough- trust me for some people it isn't. Wearing one pair of shorts or pants for many days is a bad idea! Your friends might not tell you-but I will! LOL

Enjoy your cruise!

Trust me when I say that will not happen. If I or my DW even smell a hint of odor on any of our clothes, they go in the laundry bag. The cost of a bag of laundry isn't THAT much. We have $500 OBC on our first leg and $200 on the TA, so if nothing else, we will use some of it to pay for a bag or 2 on each leg.

The Eclipse does not have clotheslines in the shower. If you need a clothesline plan to bring one from home.

I plan on using the built in clothesline on Constellation next month. I didn't realize that S class doesn't have this feature, but I'm glad I know so that I can plan ahead for my Reflection cruise next year. Any suggestions for a DIY clothesline to use in your cabin?

I plan on using the built in clothesline on Constellation next month. I didn't realize that S class doesn't have this feature, but I'm glad I know so that I can plan ahead for my Reflection cruise next year. Any suggestions for a DIY clothesline to use in your cabin?

You can purchase hook magnets and a clothes line and hang it in your cabin. The walls have metal and if you do not mind hanging clothes, it works.