Full price for a 9 month baby!!!

I know some would. Think about it, messy rooms, food dropped on floor, not potty trained, special food orders, just couple examples off top of my head.

Sounds like a bunch of unruly adults!

Seriously, what special food is a 9 month old gonna order? Parents would bring their own baby food. Maybe the 9 month old wants the escargot when it's not even on the menu that night, is that what you're thinking? Adults have wasaaayyyyyyy more special needs and requests than any infant could ever have.

It is the headcount that is key. They have to count the baby. If passenger capacity is for example 2800 then that baby counts as person. They can not sell 2801.

I'm sorry but this does not make any sense at all for me. If you go to a movie theatre, there are a limited number of seats, and kids pay less. If you go to a theme park, roller coasters have a limited number of seats, and kids pay less, in restaurants, they have a limited number of seats, and kids pay less, if you go to you municipal aquatic center... guess what... kids pay less.

dp

Hello all,

Me and my partner have done 3 cruises all with royal Caribbean. Have looked at doing a 14 night canaries cruise in September for our honeymoon. By that time our little girl will be 9 months old and they want us to pay £1400 for her. I have no issues with paying for her to go on the cruise but when she will not be having food or drink I find that amount excessive!!!! Does anyone out there know a way around it for it to be cheaper or if other cruise lines don't charge so much for children? Thanks in advance.

Is this the third person fare? I personally agree with children, including infants being charged. However, they do frequently get a pretty decent fare by being the 3rd or 4th person in the cabin. How much is the 1st, 2nd person paying? Also, note this is a 14-day cruise. I doubt the infant (or even another child or adult) would be paying the same as you or your partner.

I'm sorry but this does not make any sense at all for me. If you go to a movie theatre, there are a limited number of seats, and kids pay less. If you go to a theme park, roller coasters have a limited number of seats, and kids pay less, in restaurants, they have a limited number of seats, and kids pay less, if you go to you municipal aquatic center... guess what... kids pay less.

dp

Understand what you are saying, however life boat capacity is a little more serious and enforced by all cruise lines.

No one stands at the door of a restaurant and counts the actual number of patrons; close perhaps, e.g. Table for 2 etc., but if you have an infant with you in a car seat/carrier you still get a table for 2. Just doesn't work that way with lifeboats.

Is this the third person fare? I personally agree with children, including infants being charged. However, they do frequently get a pretty decent fare by being the 3rd or 4th person in the cabin. How much is the 1st, 2nd person paying? Also, note this is a 14-day cruise. I doubt the infant (or even another child or adult) would be paying the same as you or your partner.

This is based on 2 adults and 1 child. £1449 each! Making £3497 for us to go. This is before any drinks package and tips etc. This is for the independence of the seas on the 16th September from Southampton in an interior stateroom

Understand what you are saying, however life boat capacity is a little more serious and enforced by all cruise lines.

No one stands at the door of a restaurant and counts the actual number of patrons; close perhaps, e.g. Table for 2 etc., but if you have an infant with you in a car seat/carrier you still get a table for 2. Just doesn't work that way with lifeboats.

But a baby can sit on the lap on an adult in a plane?!

dp

Those businesses have chosen to do that for competitive reasons. Royal has decided that they don't need to and judging by the fact that their ships are sailing at over 105% of double occupancy they don't feel there is a need to offer discounts for kids.

Of course - but the airline can sell that extra seat. A cruise line cannot sell an extra birth - they are limited to X number of births regardless of the age of the passenger.

After the Titanic sank with lifeboat capacity for only one third of the passengers onboard, strict laws were passed about passenger capacity and the number of lifeboats. The baby has to be on the manifest and is counted as a person no different than an adult.

Of course the cruise line could give discounts for babies, children and whatever they want. They will if they can't sell all the berths. They could accept the lost revenue. Nothing stopping them. That is a business decision. So if you have a baby you have the choice of booking under the cruise lines terms or taking your business elsewhere. There are many vacation options. I doubt if I would sail with a nine month old baby even if they didn't charge full fare. But obviously some do and paying the full fare has not stopped them as I usually see some babies on every sailing.

Hi, Nathan

This past week I've been pricing sailngs with 3 in a cabin (one child under 12). I should add, this was pricing Balcony staterooms and below, not Suite pricing.

When lookong at the total by guest, the Child (passenger 3) quoted out at a 50% rate of the person 1 and 2 rate, before promotion applied, and not the full rate.

is the 1400 Euro price for the child the same as your passenger 1 & 2 rate? If so maybe call Royal to price it to see if there is an error in the passenger 3 calculation.

Good Luck!

I agree with this - 3rd and subsequent passengers in the same cabin are usually reduced regardless of their age

From my own experience, I would not want to take a baby on a cruise. That's not a vacation for this mom! Lol

Once they are old enough for a nursery program or a kids program onboard, then it's well worth their cruise fare! And it's an awesome trip... fun family time with the kids and some "me time"!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

US Coast Guard approved Infant lifejacket is $40 to $50. You should not have to pay that much extra.

dp

Don't forget setting up place for baby to sleep ( portable crib) , changing sheets on that daily, removing soiled diapers, extra towels , more clean up in the cabin. And at 9 months old my kids did eat! Not just formula. They also were crawling every where and trying to walk. So they aren't just sitting on a shelf making no mess at all. I think full price is over kill but there is work involved. Plus all I've ever seen is the staff treating babies like they are royalty. They go out of their way to do extras for the kids.

What does a lifeboat have to do with it... a 9 month old infant would be sitting on a parents lap... not in its own seat. Heck, I doubt if infants would even have their own life vest. Never thought about it, but all the lifejackets I've ever seen on a chip have been a universal size.

What does a lifeboat have to do with it... a 9 month old infant would be sitting on a parents lap... not in its own seat. Heck, I doubt if infants would even have their own life vest. Never thought about it, but all the lifejackets I've ever seen on a chip have been a universal size.

Maritime law has to do with it.

Yes, baby would have their own life vest, they do have small size life jackets for them, it is required, and any parent that didn't make sure a life jacket was provided for their infant should not be allowed on a ship.

Edited by Charles4515

Sounds like a bunch of unruly adults!

Seriously, what special food is a 9 month old gonna order? Parents would bring their own baby food. Maybe the 9 month old wants the escargot when it's not even on the menu that night, is that what you're thinking? Adults have wasaaayyyyyyy more special needs and requests than any infant could ever have.

Oldest of 10, have 38 nephews and nieces, 3 kids my own and 3 grand babies, know little something about wee ones. And yes at that age eating out parents request special things, FOOD, not on menu's for the little ones... But you are right about messy adults, I managed Restaurants and Bars/Rest 1980-1996. On that all I can say is WOW!....

This is based on 2 adults and 1 child. £1449 each! Making £3497 for us to go. This is before any drinks package and tips etc. This is for the independence of the seas on the 16th September from Southampton in an interior stateroom

I was going to say I think there must have been a mistake when you looked at pricing. But the mistake is in your comprehension since £1449 times 3 equals £4347. The £3497 that I'm seeing for that cruise shows the 3rd person rate is heavily discounted.

1c758c4a7cd03323b2d1b2c348bf9104.jpg

CB

Edited by CaptainBazinga

The infant is also not spending anything on board, not generating any revenue.

I think this is the true answer. The same for the solo supplement. The spot the infant is holding and the cabin designed for at least two, but only having one passenger, are not generating any other revenue for the company. No drinks, no specialty dining, no purchases, no excursions, etc. they're trying to make up that revenue with the fare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An infant is not only not generating any on board revenue, but they are a "soul" on board and ships have maximum number of "souls" (regardless of age) that can be on a ship per maritime law. So each infant is not only not generating any revenue they are taking away potential revenue from other "souls" that could not be booked.

They should have a more reasonable rate for babies under a certain age. They seem to make it easier to bring your dog on a cruise than your baby. I don't have any kids, so no bias here. I just can't see how Royal could justify a full fare for a baby that uses nothing on the ship. All they do is discourage parents with young babies from sailing and souring their opinion of the company, how is that useful to anyone.

I realize this isn't going to be a popular answer, but perhaps some cruise lines do it to control the number of babies and toddlers on board by discouraging people to pay the price for them.

In what way? She is still a babe in arms, not eating their food, taking up only space in a 'pack and play' crib, not using any amenities. What exactly are they providing for her that takes a lot more work?

she doesn't eat any table food yet? Do you plan on using the childcare? Plan on disposing of her diapers on your own? They are a biohazard and cost more to dispose of than typical trash.

Do you plan on using the water play area with her? I imagine she would enjoy that. Or do you imagine that she will just be like a toy? Propped in a stroller or baby bucket?

I would watch for the kids sail free offers, or pick another vacation that doesn't charge for children.

Are you looking at the average price for all three, or is berth number three the same cost as the first two?.

When I booked my last cruise, it was a bogoho sale. $2500 for berth one, $1250 for berth two.

But my account shows each of them as $1850 in one of the breakdowns

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello all,

Me and my partner have done 3 cruises all with royal Caribbean. Have looked at doing a 14 night canaries cruise in September for our honeymoon. By that time our little girl will be 9 months old and they want us to pay £1400 for her. I have no issues with paying for her to go on the cruise but when she will not be having food or drink I find that amount excessive!!!! Does anyone out there know a way around it for it to be cheaper or if other cruise lines don't charge so much for children? Thanks in advance.

that is unreal.

See my post #66.

RCI is NOT charging full price for the infant!

The actual discount fare is only 1/3.

The OP is mistaken.

CB

Have we checked what the price is for 3 adults in the room? I don't think RCL really discount for kids just extra people in cabin.

Surrounding pricing it is a companies perogative what they charge and they usually do give good discounts for extra berths. If people don't like the price go elsewhere.

Also I don't think taking a 9 month old on a cruise is a great choice for vacation.