Recycled food in the MDR

Stelya

Hello. I have just returned from the Vista April 2-8. This is my 8th cruise but just recently started following these boards (as you may notice this is my first post). Let me start by saying we had a wonderful time. The crowds, decor, meeting spaces, etc. were all great with us. We are easy to please...just happy to be with friends and family and vacationing. The one thing that did occur that turned our stomachs was our realization of food recycling in the MDR (YTD). On the second night, a tablemate took the last piece of bread out of the basket and split it in half to discover a piece of chewed bubblegum. Carnival didn't really have an explanation of how that could have happened and had no response to obviously they are just adding fresh bread (I hope) to what was left from another table. The next night we were seated near a prepping station and we were on alert. They would take bread baskets from tables and place them underneath in a cabinet. Then we watched the waitress take 2 baskets from the cabinet to the back and promptly returned to deliver 2 baskets to new tables. This may be common practice along all lines and even in land based restaurants but we found the practice unappetizing (not to mention potential health hazards). Needless to say, we refused the bread for the remainder of the trip (carnival did give us a bottle of wine the night of the chewing gum...hoping to wash away the nasty). Once again, this didn't ruin our trip, had a blast and will return...just won't be eating the bread.

Sad to hear but doesn't surprise me....what we noticed a few times on a Carnival cruise, you know those hot dogs they make late at night, the extra ones they have when they close are used in the breakfast buffet! We saw them when they closed placing the hot dogs in a plastic container and surely the ones in the breakfast buffet were them, they were soggy and old looking ugh!

Sad to hear but doesn't surprise me....what we noticed a few times on a Carnival cruise, you know those hot dogs they make late at night, the extra ones they have when they close are used in the breakfast buffet! We saw them when they closed placing the hot dogs in a plastic container and surely the ones in the breakfast buffet were them, they were soggy and old looking ugh!

There is absolutely no way to know that. For all you know, the leftover hot dogs could have been sent down to the crew galley for them to eat. Many times when I was younger and working in food service, the leftovers were offered to those working the closing shift since we frequently were unable to take our breaks due to being busy.

That is disgusting. I worked in the food industry in my 20's in a variety of places….famous restaurants to golf course snack bars, and it is a common practice to re-use bread baskets. Not to say that it's done everywhere, but it's common enough. I'm also not surprised about what Cruisegirl6 said about the hot dogs, I've seen similar things done at establishments I've worked. All about saving money, but its not worth it and puts people's health at risk. Coughing, sneezing, dirty hands touching the bread…and people wonder how illnesses are spread.

We were also just on the VISTA, and had the opposite experience. The waiter would bring the basket to the table after we were sitting, and the bread was still warm, as if it had just been taken from the oven. Then, when we would ask for a refill (we LOVE bread!!!), we would get another warm basket. I feel fairly confident that the bread was coming out fresh.

CeleBrat

On Royal Caribbean they do not leave bread baskets on the tables. Instead they come around the tables and offer the bread to you. They give it to you using tongs keeping it as sanitary as possible.

On Royal Caribbean they do not leave bread baskets on the tables. Instead they come around the tables and offer the bread to you. They give it to you using tongs keeping it as sanitary as possible.

Yes, this is what Carnival used to do. It has changed since the introduction of the American Table menus.

This isnt SOP. This is a few lazy crew members and perhaps a materie'd. Sorry it happened, but I never had this problem on carnival. Bread has always been fresh baked and warm. My palete is well developed from years in the food business. I can tell righ away if bread has been reheated or stored in a warmer too long. I've never had this with any of my cruises.

We were also just on the VISTA, and had the opposite experience. The waiter would bring the basket to the table after we were sitting, and the bread was still warm, as if it had just been taken from the oven. Then, when we would ask for a refill (we LOVE bread!!!), we would get another warm basket. I feel fairly confident that the bread was coming out fresh.

CeleBrat

I agree , the waiter came around with dinner roll and served each person....it was never left on the table

It is my understanding that any food that is not eaten and has been made available to the public cannot be served again to guests. To do so is a major USPH violation. I also understand that if the food is something that some crew members may enjoy, such food may be offered to them.

Several years ago, having MDR breakfast on the Liberty, I opened my napkin to discover that it was USED! Full of crumbs and fresh lipstick stains. Ick! I told them about it at the Maitre-d' station, and they acknowledged they'd had some laundry problems that morning. So they were reusing the napkins. Seriously. And yeah, recycling the bread basket is gross.

Sorry, I never believe a first post that is a wild story or complaint. You never cared to post to CC (no pre cruise questions or comments) at all yet you must tell us about this alleged bread situation?

I will never understand this. Doesn't everyone have a first post? And this is NOT such a wild story. This happens all the time. A little advice for those that are grossed out by this. Never eat/order "family style" in a restaurant.

I'm sure there is plenty that we would rather not know......I look at it it strengthening my immune system, lol!

As a teen I worked as a busboy in a jewish deli where we placed pickles and cole slaw on each table. Upon cleaning the

table, the pickles and the cole slaw went back into the wooden whiskey barrel vats in the back to be used again. It was up to us as to whether or not it was still "kosher".........gross eh!

There is no telling what is recycled in the food industry; of course it's against all health regulations, but it's still done.

This is one area where "ignorance is bliss." Safe travels.........

:evilsmile: Don't Ya'Al just love their American Table. The worst change they have made on that cruise line in all teh years we have been sailing with them.

I agree. That and cutting back on waiters and bartenders and cabin stewards. What the op described is gross.

I will never understand this. Doesn't everyone have a first post? And this is NOT such a wild story. This happens all the time. A little advice for those that are grossed out by this. Never eat/order "family style" in a restaurant.

Yeah, this is one that seems plausible enough to be real, and not a legit troll attempt.

Then again I'm pretty sure I got food poisoning (not noro) on one of my cruises (not this cruise line) so I know I'm playing pathogen roulette onboard and I just deal with it. :)