Sailing with the new Platinum Benifits

BirdTravels

Yes, went to my NCL page and saw that. Thank you so much. Have been planning this trip for such a long time, didn't even look back.So happy you mentioned that.

Cruise Critic has always helped me to relax and enjoy my vacations.

You newbies need to keep reading before you cruise!!

Cruise Critic has always helped me to relax and enjoy my vacations.

You newbies need to keep reading before you cruise!!

I just told my friend last week that if it wasn't for CC, I wouldn't know what was going on with NCL. I get all my info here.

To get the 10% discount on shore excursions do not book them prior to boarding. I made that mistake this past Sunday and promptly called the Shore Excursion desk when I saw that my credit card was showing the regular price. They cancelled the charge to my credit card and then rebooked the excursions with payment to be made at the end of the sailing. Lesson learned!:D

MARAPRINCE

Interesting. I booked a shore excursion on Sunday and the system did give me the discount! I was pleasantly surprised! :)

Since we had a ShoreEx credit perk, we pre-booked all of our excursions without payment. When we got on board, the shore ex was charged the full price for the excursions. I spoke to the shore ex manager who said "it's a corporate problem, not her problem,,,, and that maybe I should talk to the latitudes (cruise next) people". I told her that CruiseNext didn't over charge me, she over charged me. The 10% was refunded immediately. I did take the matter up with the Hotel Director.

The free champagne to all latitudes members and the free water to all platinum/above members was also not well thought out. Our champagne showed up late on the first night (CruiseNext said to wait until after 9 pm before complaining),,, just a bottle, no glasses or ice bucket. And the water never showed up. We collected the water the next day from the CruiseNext department. The perk just increased the room service embarkation load by many times,,,, to the point where they just blow it off. A better approach would have been to include coupons in the latitudes package and have everyone go get their own drinks.

Kinda like when they offered 100 free photos to everyone as a perk,,,, then figured out that they needed to double their photographer staff on every ship to take the pictures and the cost of processing the pictures. Most people would be looking for at least 3x (300) photos to be taken so that they could pick the best 100. That perk lasted a few weeks before it was unceremoniously removed.

Just wanted to mention that we sailed right after this went into effect in February. We are both Platinum Plus. We each got the Internet ..I think it was 60 minutes for each of us. We actually had chosen the Internet package on our two upcoming cruises but after realizing this we switched our promos.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting. I booked a shore excursion on Sunday and the system did give me the discount! I was pleasantly surprised! :)

It was reported by someone else on these boards that any cruise you booked after the new program went into effect would automatically know and give you the shore ex discount. I know that two cruises I've booked since then have been showing my Plat Plus Internet minutes on the amenity invoice. Guess it will take awhile for this to all catch up so we each need to watch for those perks we due.

That question was already answered at least twice. Yes, you get sides.

Dined at Cagney's on the Gem with Plat. Plus Certificate Easter Sunday and was told no sides are included and would be billed separately. The server explained that If we ordered an entree that was less than $20 than the leftover amount could be used for sides. So if you ordered pork chops for $16 then you could get two sides at $2 each. However, some are reporting getting their sides and not being charged so I am guessing it all depends on the ship and server how this plays out.

Phyllis

Dined at Cagney's on the Gem with Plat. Plus Certificate Easter Sunday and was told no sides are included and would be billed separately. The server explained that If we ordered an entree that was less than $20 than the leftover amount could be used for sides. So if you ordered pork chops for $16 then you could get two sides at $2 each. However, some are reporting getting their sides and not being charged so I am guessing it all depends on the ship and server how this plays out.

Phyllis

Yes, if the server is clueless they may try to charge you. They shouldn't, and you shouldn't allow it. Ask to speak to the maitre d' if that happens.

Most of the new perks are being automatically added to my portfolio for every cruise. The Shorex discount, while has been reported to automatically calculate for those pre-booked online, remains a "manual" exercise once onboard. I booked two excursions after boarding (cruise booked after new Platinum perks instituted) and the full price was charged to my account. I did go to the Shore Excursion desk and requested the Platinum Plus discount. They asked to see my cruise card to verify my status. Discount was granted no problem.

My issue is NCL well knows my status but chooses not to program our onboard profiles so the discount is automatic. The Shorex staff said the literature clearly states that passengers must show their card to request the discount. That should not be necessary.

Most of the new perks are being automatically added to my portfolio for every cruise. The Shorex discount, while has been reported to automatically calculate for those pre-booked online, remains a "manual" exercise once onboard. I booked two excursions after boarding (cruise booked after new Platinum perks instituted) and the full price was charged to my account. I did go to the Shore Excursion desk and requested the Platinum Plus discount. They asked to see my cruise card to verify my status. Discount was granted no problem.

My issue is NCL well knows my status but chooses not to program our onboard profiles so the discount is automatic. The Shorex staff said the literature clearly states that passengers must show their card to request the discount. That should not be necessary.

How did the Shorex discount show up on your account? Is it applied as a credit card refund or a refundable/non-refundable on board credit? We agree... it really should be automatic!

We have one that we booked in advance and now thinking that may not have been the best choice. We only rarely book through NCL, so this may even more solidify that decision going forward!

Happy cruising everyone!

It was reported by someone else on these boards that any cruise you booked after the new program went into effect would automatically know and give you the shore ex discount. I know that two cruises I've booked since then have been showing my Plat Plus Internet minutes on the amenity invoice. Guess it will take awhile for this to all catch up so we each need to watch for those perks we due.

It is still hit-n-miss. We booked our 4/9/17 cruise on 3/17/17 (after the new latitudes was implemented).

The Shore Ex purchased on board was charged at full price. And required a visit to shore ex to get the discount applied.

The internet minutes could not be found by the internet manager, eventhough it was on our amenities receipt. We actually had multiple free internet minutes that we were trying to get credits applied against our unlimited package. On the last night of the cruise, the internet manager gave up and just deleted the total charge for the internet package (saving us over $200).

Water was never delivered, so we picked it up from the CruiseNext office.

Since the new certificates are all bulk printed (i.e. not per person or even per cruise), we had to go to CruiseNext to find out when the latitudes cocktail party was. And the behind the scenes tour.

Photo department correctly applied discounts (but they always have).

Just became platinum. Has anyone done the complimentary behind the scenes tour? How long is it? What day and time do they typically have it? I am assuming it is separate from the regular for pay tour.

If I remember correctly, the behind the scenes tour must be booked by 9 p.m. On Day 1, and the tour takes place on Day 2 at 10 or 11 a.m. and lasts about an hour and a half. The purchased tour is longer, around two hours.

IF you have an SDP, you can prebook Monderno for you platinum meal online for free.

IF you do NOT have an SDP, you can prebook but have to pay for the meal in advance. On board, they will credit the prepayment bacK to you as an OBC. That is what we did.

Cagneys works like any other meal ther. You are just paying with the certificate. Any overages, you charge to your room. Just like the old Le Bistro certificates.

Thanks for your helpful reply. We will prebook and get credit so can be sure to get the date and time we want, and then can use credit for excursions. Works out great!

We were on the Dawn in March. On day 2, the full amount of our one NCL excursion was credited to our account and the reduced price charged. We did not have to go down to the shore excursion desk. We were in a suite, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Just got off the Jewel this weekend. Our discount for the shore excursions was automatically applied to our account. The internet manager activated our accounts for the free 60 minutes. 4 water bottles were in our cabin when we arrived.

Just got off the Jewel this weekend. Our discount for the shore excursions was automatically applied to our account. The internet manager activated our accounts for the free 60 minutes. 4 water bottles were in our cabin when we arrived.

Great news! We were on your cruise and had a completely different experience (per my post above). I think the thing that had us the most annoyed was the "not our problem, call corporate"

Yes, if the server is clueless they may try to charge you. They shouldn't, and you shouldn't allow it. Ask to speak to the maitre d' if that happens.

Unfortunately I don't think this was the case, server was very specific - too specific for us to even attempt to alter the protocol.. But as the case may be, we did speak to the Maitre D' about the charges on our bill for the sides but for a totally different reason. I ordered the Porterhouse steak, knowing there is fat in the steak because I actually like it that way; sadly my Porterhouse was 75% rubbery fat and 25% steak so had a word with him and in addition to offering me a different selection also removed the charges for our 2 side orders.

Phyllis

If you booked and paid for Shorex before the change in the Latitudes changes occurred in February then you can go to the Shorex desk and have OBC for the 10%.

Caso, I will be checking that 10% OBC out with the Shorex pre -book desk.

We are sailing Norway Fjords in June and pre-booked all excursions (6 ports in Norway was expensive). Needed to make sure we get the excursions we wanted before they sold out. We are Plat+, glad you posted that.

We had also booked and pre-paid our excursions for our Med cruise before the changes were made. When I called the Excursion Dept., they told me to just go to the Excursion Desk when we board and they will credit 10% in obc back to our cards.

Behind the scenes tour: You need to book it on Day 1. We boarded on Sunday and it was on Tuesday (a day at sea).

It was about 90 minutes and I enjoyed it. We went to the backstage area dressing rooms, the laundry area and part of the kitchen area. Interesting if you have never been there, but not worth a repeat.

Do you not know what entree means?

In most restaurants an entree includes a vegetable and a starch besides the meat.

In Le Bistro the meat comes on a plate with a vegetable and a form of potato.

But in Cagneys the meat is alone on a plate. Hence the question about whether sides are included with SDP.

Seems to depend on server, not on T&C.

Actually, the definition of entree is "the main course of a meal" in the USA. Would NCL menus be USAish?

This is a loose definition. I could elaborate but suffice it to say the entree can mean main protein on its's own or accompanied by sides.

Most restaurants include sides. Or a choice of sides with entrees. Many higher priced restaurants serve the main item, usually a protein alone and sell sides separately.

Let's not nitpick?

The heart of the matter is that NCL's description of the perk is vague as well. It should be spelled out, not open to interpretation AND consistently followed across the fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find it interesting that the term "entree" can be interpreted in two different ways on the same ship (cruise line). On the Jewel in all restaurants bar one the entree comes with sides included but in the one the sides are charged separately.

Like many pieces of information put out by NCL the wording is not clear. Is that because they are not proof read by a cynic/pedant or because they are written by someone for whom English is a second language and who is unfamiliar with American usage?

English is my first language but it is English English and I have to read carefully any document that is written in American English never mind second language American English.

The statement regarding entrees in Cagney's is a case in point.