Did you know Celebrity can "bump" you from your cabin?

p18750

I agree I think someone from Celebrity should explain why this is happening. I am not cruising until next year but really worried now that this might happen. Never in my wildest dreams did I think you could be bumped off a cruise. Naive maybe! Also disappointed that they can just cancel the whole cruise. I would understand if it was for maintenance but not just as they have a better offer.

FWIW, the Celebrity website allowed me to take the booking of 7272 all the way to the payment page. There was never an indication that the cabin was not open for booking. Needless to say, I did NOT give my CC!! It was just an exercise to see how far the website would take me.

I thought two but then I saw the OP on this post referring to "the two others who posted on the roll call" or something to that effect so thought the OP here must not be one of those who posted on the roll call. I didn't go back to check. So perhaps only two separate posters about it.

I did check the roll call and 3 distinct Cruise Critic users reported being bumped.

Just looked at celebrity web site and a balcony is available???????

We were bumped tues with a guaranteed balcony!!!!!

Call in to individual at celebrity that bumped me.

He better explain what happened? Cost to me so far exceeds $1400.00

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It could be something happened, like a water pipe issue, electrical, anything could happen that could take some cabins out of commission for a period of time. It happens in hotels also.

This is exactly why cruise lines should always leave some cabins open- not over sell.

It would be interesting to hear if all those that were bumped were booked with the same TA. :lips-sealed:

I just checked my Big Box TA website and no staterooms are available.

The OP is not joking - and now not the only person on the roll call receiving the bump call. The other passenger was offered three alternative TAs at no charge, a refund of airline change fees and a refund of his cruise funds.

I am baffled as this cruise was closed to travel agent booking a couple weeks ago - yet suddenly we have several new passengers posting on the roll call at the same time passengers are being bumped.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am on this sailing and following the roll call. These bumps are happening this week, 5 days before the cruise. Every time the phone rings, I panic. As mentioned, this cruise sold out a few weeks ago, yet some websites still continued to sell cabins at double the rates, including Celebrity. The website I use to check cabin availability showed it as SOLD OUT 3 weeks ago. Yes, new people are joining the roll call- today! So far, all of the people bumped were in veranda cabins. I'm thinking the worse, that there will be no lecturers or outside entertainers, since they get assigned regular cabins. Of course I would rather have my cabin than a craft class. They seem to be bumping paid passengers for those who are willing to pay a higher price for the same cabin.

This is really scary! I feel so bad for the OP. Please come back and let us know what is happening.

Just looked at celebrity web site and a balcony is available???????

We were bumped tues with a guaranteed balcony!!!!!

Call in to individual at celebrity that bumped me.

He better explain what happened? Cost to me so far exceeds $1400.00

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will it let you make a 24 hour hold? ETA: I understand how maybe now the sailing is not an option for you as you may have already cancelled reservations, etc.

Edited by FlorenceItaly

This is a terrible experience and one that I have not had to deal with (at least so far). A few years ago I had a booked and fully paid cruise on Cruise West. The cruise lie abruptly went out of business and sent us a letter AFTER they had closed their offices and there was no way to contact them. They basically referred us to our insurance company. The insurance company told me I had to contact my credit card company first. The credit card company did refund my cruise fare. So even though I had travel insurance, it was the credit card company that got stuck with the loss.

Carolyn

As a first time Celebrity cruiser (in Aug.) this is interesting and concerning to me. I took quite awhile selecting my cabin, even choosing the Alaska dates for when the cabin I wanted was available. I asked my TA if I might be offered an up-sell, or up-grade (like Princess) and was there a way to mark it meta upgrade only. Her response was that once you book with celebrity, they NEVER move you. I think we shall have another chat before final payment in a couple of weeks!

As you will read in this thread, this is not a typical issue with Celebrity. I am Elite on Princess and know their upgrade/upsell process fairly well. Celebrity is a Royal Caribbean product and RCCL is quite different from Princess in terms of marketing. That being said, I don't think you will be disappointed on Celebrity at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm actually a bit surprised that following the United incident, no one has contacted the media.

I'm surprised at this as well. Since they were told 5 days before, after airline tickets have been booked, etc., I would have made that call to the media.

I, too, am on this Sunday Eclipse departure doing a b2b with Norway. A bit worried by the reports of bumps, I contacted the Captain's Club to ensure I was still confirmed with our original (and carefully selected) cabins. The original Representative was unclear on my request or of any possible way there could be a "bump" on Celebrity. She placed me on hold, and when she returned this was the info she shared from the "resolutions" department. She said, "we never simply tell someone they no longer have a cabin. We offer compensation and an alternate solution. If the customer is not interested or capable of making a change, they keep their cabin and we move to someone else." Obviously, this stands in contradiction with what our fellow board members have experienced. We cruise extensively with Celebrity-four more this year. I'm disappointed that they have not provided clarity on this matter here on cruise critic where dialogue from some of their most loyal patrons takes place. Missed opportunity considering the current spotlight on travel-related involuntary bumps.

I, too, am on this Sunday Eclipse departure doing a b2b with Norway. A bit worried by the reports of bumps, I contacted the Captain's Club to ensure I was still confirmed with our original (and carefully selected) cabins. The original Representative was unclear on my request or of any possible way there could be a "bump" on Celebrity. She placed me on hold, and when she returned this was the info she shared from the "resolutions" department. She said, "we never simply tell someone they no longer have a cabin. We offer compensation and an alternate solution. If the customer is not interested or capable of making a change, they keep their cabin and we move to someone else." Obviously, this stands in contradiction with what our fellow board members have experienced. We cruise extensively with Celebrity-four more this year. I'm disappointed that they have not provided clarity on this matter here on cruise critic where dialogue from some of their most loyal patrons takes place. Missed opportunity considering the current spotlight on travel-related involuntary bumps.
I would hope that those that were bumped would address the comments from Celebrity above. It is one thing to have been offered compensation and agree to give up your cruise versus being told you are being bumped without you agreeing to an offer.

I would hope that those that were bumped would address the comments from Celebrity above. It is one thing to have been offered compensation and agree to give up your cruise versus being told you are being bumped without you agreeing to an offer.

I can say the only thing I was originally offered was my cruise fare refunded with no penalties. I was given no option of retaining my existing cabin assignment but was rather informed my cabin had been assigned to someone else. When I looked up my reservation on celebritycruises.com I found my reservation had been cancelled as of April 11.

After what appears to be significant effort by my TA I was given a Cat 2 veranda cabin (not the original Concierge Class) and I am once again on the cruise. My experience dealing with Celebrity customer service is they have no policy and it is up to your TA to look out for you.

I can say the only thing I was originally offered was my cruise fare refunded with no penalties. I was given no option of retaining my existing cabin assignment but was rather informed my cabin had been assigned to someone else. When I looked up my reservation on celebritycruises.com I found my reservation had been cancelled as of April 11.

After what appears to be significant effort by my TA I was given a Cat 2 veranda cabin (not the original Concierge Class) and I am once again on the cruise. My experience dealing with Celebrity customer service is they have no policy and it is up to your TA to look out for you.

So you did get obc for the less cabin you have now?

I'm glad you are getting to cruise.

I am sorry that this happened to you. I know I would not like it either.

Originally they "offered" you a a full refund, coverage of any change fees on airfare, and a free cruise at a later date, correct? I bel I've they gave you several cruises to make a choice.

I wonder if you TA in someway accepted the offer without your approval since as you are saying you never accepted/agreed to the offer. Of course you will probably never know for sure what really happened between the TA and Celebrity.

Try to enjoy your cruise. I hope you received some OBC from either you TA or Celebrity because of the confusion.

Well, I read this thread this morning with my mouth wide open. Have just been told that our cruise for August 2018 has just been cancelled as the ship has been hired out for a private party. Not happy at all. Thankfully, we had not booked hotels or flights etc, but I really feel for the poor people who were 'bumped' from their cabin / cruise!

Flight schedules aren't even open yet for Aug 2018, nor are hotels, so there would be nothing to lose. Luckily, the cruise was 16 months out and there is plenty of time to book another cruise for that time.

Be thankful you found out now instead of a couple days beforehand like the poor OP [emoji33]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if you TA in someway accepted the offer without your approval since as you are saying you never accepted/agreed to the offer. Of course you will probably never know for sure what really happened between the TA and Celebrity.

I was thinking the same thing or that there was a deadline to respond and the TA didn't respond on time, thus they were cancelled.